Tulum Mayan Ruins trip - whats for lunch?

Can anyone tell me if the Cozumel excursion to Tulum Mayan ruins is good value. I can see that there is only a light snack included. Its a full day trip so I'm wondering what's the best thing to do for lunch. We could always take a breakfast bagel with us!!

thanks

1 week and counting:)

Can anyone tell me if the Cozumel excursion to Tulum Mayan ruins is good value. I can see that there is only a light snack included. Its a full day trip so I'm wondering what's the best thing to do for lunch. We could always take a breakfast bagel with us!!

thanks

You are not allowed to take food ashore unless it is pre-packaged.

We did this trip, but from Playa del Carmen, so it wasn't so long - no ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland.

We had a "box" lunch. It had: a tuna lunch package, fruit cup, cookies, capri sun, & maybe one more thing that I can't remember.

It was as Carol said - tuna snack with crackers. I think we had a muffin as well, cookie (large), maybe some sort of fruit. It was fine for us. We had a good breakfast, and ate the food on the bus ride back. There are some Mexican fast food places at the ruins, but really, there is no time to waste eating there.

It was as Carol said - tuna snack with crackers. I think we had a muffin as well, cookie (large), maybe some sort of fruit. It was fine for us. We had a good breakfast, and ate the food on the bus ride back. There are some Mexican fast food places at the ruins, but really, there is no time to waste eating there.

YES!!! that was the other thing. A big Otis Spunkmeyer blueberry muffin!

Thank you, DG! ;)

It's definitely not a Happy Meal, more along the lines of something the astronauts would be eating. Some prepackaged tuna fish, crackers and punch. They do stop at a little store/souvenir shop along the way there where you can get some chips, soda, etc.

It's definitely not a Happy Meal, more along the lines of something the astronauts would be eating. Some prepackaged tuna fish, crackers and punch. They do stop at a little store/souvenir shop along the way there where you can get some chips, soda, etc.

I saved the "prepackaged tuna thing" for the airport on departure day, and it really hit the spot during my hours long stay at FLL!

We did not have tuna when I went. It's been about 2 years since my trip, but we had a boxed lunch with a fruit cup, a pre-packaged cookie, a pack of crackers, and an egg salad sandwich (i skipped the sandwich and ate everything else and was fine for the rest of the day). Definitely bring bottled water if you can because it got really really hot!

the tulum ruins are awe inspiring. the value is pretty good, lunch not so much.

the latin fast food place is quite good however, as mentioned before. the one big issue many people have is the trip tol playa del carmen. .the ferry is a

jet boat and will test your sea legs and motion endurance to the fullest

have a fun cruise

loe

When we went in March 2007. We had the box with the Tuna. But as i remember there was a Subway resturant at the Ruins.

As Someone said You really dont have a lot of extra time, so we just got a Sub at the end and eat it on the trip back

ISTDS

We won this excursion on Mariner recently, and gave our tickets away. Be prepared for a long day with mostly travel time and minimal time at the ruins.

I would say if there is never a chance that you would be back in the area again save this excursion for another visit, or at least make sure you are well rested and prepared for this long day so as to not be dissapointed in the trip.

I am looking forward to seeing the ruins on another trip though, just wouldn't have done it from Cozumel

The tuna is in a pouch and you get to empty it into a little plastic trya and mix in your condiments on your lap. A capri syn juice pouch is included. I threw my box away, it's gross. You can bring your bagel and anything else that is not fruit ot meat. A box of cheerios is better then what they served. Imagine a bus load of 50 people and the smell of tuna, it was awful. They didn't serve any water so bring your own bottle.

As for the ruins, they are worth seeing :D

It's hot! Bring little fans if you can. My DD had a meltdown, and refused to move at one point. Even our legs were sweating, but we were there in the summer.

The tourist trap they take you to on the way is not that bad. The bathrooms were clean, and there were a lot of interesting souvenirs for purchase. We bought quite a lot of things there, and the quality wasn't bad.

I saved the "prepackaged tuna thing" for the airport on departure day, and it really hit the spot during my hours long stay at FLL!

Ewwww. I know you can't be serious. Ahhh good old FLL. We were stuck there for over 8 hours in August. Sitting on the floor like vultures waiting for someone to get out of their seat so we make a run for it before someone else got it.

What a zoo. At one point all hell broke out when a man who got impatient charged behind the ticket counter and starting picking up computer monitors and smashing them. Security had to wrestle him to the floor. A welcome break from the mind numbing boredom.

Must be nice for those who live near the ports and just drive to them.

thank you for the info everyone, I'm taking my kids in March and I wasn't sure if I should book this for them ages 13, 11, & 10 but now we'll definitely go. are there any more tips??

I'm not sure our kids would've liked going to a place like Tulum when they were that age. Of course good parents that we were we would've probably made them go. Just for the educational experience.:)

If you're into history I think it's a wonderful place to go. Those who aren't may just see "a pile of rocks". I've heard people describe the experience like that. :(

We had an "authentic" Mayan tour guide who was very proud, knowledgeble and enthusiastic about his heritage. Being the history buff that I am I did a bit of research of the ruins before going which made it much more meaningful and interesting.

As the other posters said it can be very hot. In fact I think it was one of the hottest places I've ever been. Don't forget the sunscreen. If you take a video camera there's a $5 fee. Not sure why. I got some great shots of the beautiful shoreline and of the many Iquanas who run about the place. My favorite ones though are of my 24 yo dd suffering in the sweltering heat wondering why she ever signed up for this tour instead of swimming in the cool ocean with the dolphins like her mother was doing back in cozumel. Anyway I had a good time.

thanks

It was awful lunch, the tuna was the only good part, the rest so high in sugar and carbs I could not give it away fast enough. But in the catina they has there, there was a Subway, so I bought a chicken salad. I also carry protein bars for just in case.:rolleyes:

thank you for the info everyone, I'm taking my kids in March and I wasn't sure if I should book this for them ages 13, 11, & 10 but now we'll definitely go. are there any more tips??

Lets See:

You might want To take Dramamine/Bonnie before you leave the pier in Cozumel. The Boat over to Playa Can get very Rough.

Once you are at the Park, It is a long Hot walk To the Ruins themselves, You can walk Or For $2 you can ride a Tractor drawen Cart. Its well worth the $2.

As the others have said Make sure you Bring Water. We were there in Mid March and it was 95 degrees and humid.

If You Time it Right and bring a Swim suit, there is a Beach that you can swim. However Time is very limited because of the travel time.

Make Sure you bring a Camera and plenty Of Film/Memory. It is a very interest and Beautiful Site. I Shot well Over 200 pictures there.

Enjoy

Do not be late for the bus back! Arrive at the time the guide tells you. We left about a dozen people behind, as we all would have missed our tender. It was a ship excursion, too, so don't think that will save you! I would have hated to be them. The guide said it was an $80 cab fare to the tender, then they would have to wait for one of those, get to Cozumel, get a cab to the pier, and tender back to the ship (for us anyway).

I never saw any of these people again, and I have no idea if they made the ship or not. However, we had started to sail, when we stopped, as a tender came rushing up. A couple got off the tender and on to the ship. I could do without that adrenaline rush!

Did this excursion on the Freedom 1/6 sailing. Lunch is what the other posters said -- tuna salad hobby kit (pack of tuna, mayo, relish and a tiny tray to mix it in). Muffin, crackers and water, too.

Word about getting back. The excursion lets you off at Playa Del Carmen and the guide gives you a ticket for the regular jet ferry back to downtown Cozumel. That ferry (first one after the bus got back) got back to Cozumel at 5:15 pm with the ship 3 miles away at the "International" pier and the all aboard at 6:15. And a monumental line for taxis at the ferry dock.

Our tour didn't run late -- everything ran like clockwork. It just takes longer than the published lengh. And they do publish that you are on your own getting back to the ship.

We immediately got in line for the taxis as and it was still 5:55 :eek: before we got back to the pier.

RC should charter the ferry back to their pier like they do going over to Playa Del Carmen in the morning. They shouldn't leave you 3 miles from the ship with an hour before all aboard.

We did not have tuna when I went. It's been about 2 years since my trip, but we had a boxed lunch with a fruit cup, a pre-packaged cookie, a pack of crackers, and an egg salad sandwich (i skipped the sandwich and ate everything else and was fine for the rest of the day). Definitely bring bottled water if you can because it got really really hot!

Our bus driver had a few very large bottles of water, and some plastic cups, and he poured water for each of us.

And it was hot, even in January, just not MELTING hot. I had no problems with the walk to and from the archaological site. It was warm on the exposed hilltop. The little beach is GORGEOUS. The water is just SO blue.

I never would have done this excursion from Cozumel. I only did it because we stopped in Playa del Carmen. All ships have been re-routed since Costa Maya took a hit from Hurricane Dean.

Did this excursion on the Freedom 1/6 sailing. Lunch is what the other posters said -- tuna salad hobby kit (pack of tuna, mayo, relish and a tiny tray to mix it in). Muffin, crackers and water, too.

Word about getting back. The excursion lets you off at Playa Del Carmen and the guide gives you a ticket for the regular jet ferry back to downtown Cozumel. That ferry (first one after the bus got back) got back to Cozumel at 5:15 pm with the ship 3 miles away at the "International" pier and the all aboard at 6:15. And a monumental line for taxis at the ferry dock.

Our tour didn't run late -- everything ran like clockwork. It just takes longer than the published lengh. And they do publish that you are on your own getting back to the ship.

We immediately got in line for the taxis as and it was still 5:55 :eek: before we got back to the pier.

RC should charter the ferry back to their pier like they do going over to Playa Del Carmen in the morning. They shouldn't leave you 3 miles from the ship with an hour before all aboard.

They did not publish the fact you had to take a cab back to the ship on my jan 27 sailing on the Voyager. I kept a copy of the excursion order form to send to RCL. It was quite a rush to get back in time and then get ready for a 5:30 main seating dinner.

I'm so glad I ran across this thread. My mother (77 years old) and her husband wanted to take this tour to Tulum. My DH and I have already done this BUT we were at a resort in Playa del Carmen. I don't think I'm comfortable with them having to catch the ferry and getting back to the pier on their own. They move very slowly! I think we'll find an alternative excursion for them in Cozumel! Thanks for the info.

They did not publish the fact you had to take a cab back to the ship on my jan 27 sailing on the Voyager. I kept a copy of the excursion order form to send to RCL. It was quite a rush to get back in time and then get ready for a 5:30 main seating dinner.

You did better than we did, we just barely got back for our 6:00 pm seating (and 6:15 sailing). But on the published tour description on the Freedom, it was clear:

"This tour ends downtown, and does not include transportation back to the vessel (i.e. taxi, etc.). This is to allow guests free time downtown and to return at their discretion."

It is BS -- you are 3 miles from the ship and you have 1 hour before sailing and you see a huge line up for taxis. Who in their right mind is going to use that "free time" for anything but high-tailing it back to the pier? But I did know they were going to drop us off downtown beforehand. I just didn't know they were going to cut it that close. According the the published time (6 1/2 hours), we should have been back in Cozumel at 4:30, not 5:15. 4:30 would have left an hour and 45 minutes to get back to the ship, and would have felt reasonable.

Archived