If your DH thought he would hate it, why in the end did he love it?

mjp0499

This March will be DH and mine's first. For the last few years I have said that I wanted to go but he never wanted to. Well this last Nov I happen to be looking on a web site and showed him the rates for a cruise and he said, when are you going to book ours? Needless to say we were booked that night!! He's not as excited as I am but he's getting better. He is really worried about getting bored on the ship, I have to say that I am even a little concerned that he might get bored even though I know there is no way I will.. I'll let you all know how it goes in about 3 weeks.. IS IT MARCH YET???

I got my husband on 4 cruises and he will absolutely not go again. He hates sea days. He loves the ports. I just have to find a friend to go, or go alone.

Candi

Come with us on Destiny next week. There are still a few cabins available. A different port everyday. I think it will be exhausting but that's the itinerary DH wanted. As long as I'm on a ship I am happy.

Yes, it was my DH that really did not want to go on a cruise with me. Our situation was different, though, because I had cruised (as a single) before with other single ladies, and he had cruised before during a miserable first marriage. His experience of his Big Red Boat cruise was compatible to the status of his marriage - the feeling of being trapped - and all he remembered was drinking a lot, and walking around some of the ports. It took me two years of nagging (basically) to finally get my DH to agree to a cruise with me, so I stuck him on a 7-nighter (in case I never got to go again), and he had such a fabulous time that we've cruised twice since then and are headed on a third this summer.

My father also did not want to cruise. He just couldn't seem to understand "why?" it was a good idea to go on a large boat with a bunch of strangers. My mother decided to ignore him and accept the cruise vacation gift that my brother and I gave them. To "bribe" him, so to speak, they cruised along with us, so he would at least have his grandchildren there. I kid you not, we had not even left the embarkation port, and were sitting in the dining room for lunch and my father was already asking if they hired senior citizens and why did they wait so long to try that kind of vacation. Even with a little sea sickness one morning, his vacation wasn't ruined. He took the Bonine, took it easy for a few hours and was back to feeling good by lunch buffet time. I'm pretty sure that he would cruise every year, if they could afford it.

I surprised my DH with a cruise back in 2005, an 8 day exotic Mexican Riviera. When I told him about it, his response was..."What am I going to do on a da*n ship all day?" My DH is VERY active in all types of sports. He plans his vacations around various activities. Anyway, by day 2, after lazing and napping on the balcony, he looked at me and said..."Babe, this is the best vacation you have ever booked!" Needless to say, we have an upcoming 7 day booked for our 10 year anniversary and all he keeps talking about is where we should cruise right after that one.

We have had to wait to book in the last 3 years because we have moved twice to 2 different states and well you could imagine the cost of moving. But he never stops talking about that first cruise and is always looking at the photos. He is hooked!

Yep...I think that is a pretty common response :eek: . They they go...have a great time then it becomes "when are we going again!?" :D

My first cuise was without my hubby. We booked a girls only four day cruise for our oldest daughters graduation. she was able to take a friend and I took a friend. I had the time of my life. I couldnt wait for another chance and wanted to share it with my hubby and the rest of the family.

I really had to sell him on cruising. I booked the biggest room available for the four of us. It was a spacious 9A. Sure beat the small interior room I had on my first cruise.

He was still not excited. I would go on the CC board every day. Make lists of what not to forget. I was obsessed. it wasnt until we were on the boat that he realised that it wasnt the size of our ski boat and that he wasnt going to be surrounded by idiots partying all the time (no...he just joined them LOL joke)

Now we are planning our next cruise and he is already thinking bigger, better..and that room better be just as good, as big as the last.

My husband was a navy submariner for 5 years (and on a naval sub research vessel for 3 additional years) and HATED the idea of our first cruise. (He constantly reminded me that he KNEW what being at sea was like, blah, blah, blah.) So, I drug him on our first cruise out of Port Canaveral and here's why he's now hooked:

1. His old research vessel was in the same port as our ship and he got to "show" it to me when we sailed by it. This began our wonderful first cruise!

2. He LOVES the free room service in the mornings, which allows him to enjoy breakfast without having to get dressed, etc. and while watching TV.

3. He enjoys good food at dinner with happy waiters and friendly fellow cruisers.

4. He likes being able to have a drink or two or three (generally he doesn't drink because he has to drive home)....

5. He likes all of the port experiences (particularly dune buggies and zip lines).

6. He loves getting a couples massage on port days with me (even though I had to DRAG him into the spa on the first cruise)...

His final words after his first cruise were, "This isn't anything like the Navy. We're definitely going to do this again!"

My DH's complaint was the cost. I tried to convince him it was less than a land vacation. His words were "Make it happen". Well I did that day. I don't think he thought I would do it. Well he grumbled for about 2 months. I tried to ignore him. On the first night, on the back deck, watching the sunset we were waiting for our dinner time and he hugged me and said, "Babe you did a great job. This is the best vacation ever." We have been on 3 more cruises. 2 with our DD's. They won't hear of us going with out them. We are all hooked.

I think my husband had "Love Boat" syndrome. He's always enjoyed boating - grew up on the Great Lakes, family always had a boat while he was growing up, and we have two boats we use on the Hudson River. We were originally planning a trip to Ireland, but with 3 kids it was just too expensive. I saw an ad for Carnival 5-day sailings out of NYC and thought it was a good way to try a cruise. DH was saying "I'm not sure if I'm going to like this" right up until we crossed the George Washington Bridge, looked downriver and saw Victory at the dock. He was talking about the next cruise before we even returned and had it booked about a month later. Once he realized that you don't have to do anything - and he loves sitting on the balcony reading - he was hooked.

BTW, I showed one of my sons a "Love Boat" clip on You Tube. He looked puzzled and said, "That doesn't look like any cruise we've been on!"

We booked our first cruise after DH had some medical problems (lots of tests and medications for a year). He decided that he needed to do some of the things he always wanted to do (his bucket list kinda thing). One of them was snorkel in the Carrib. But, he didn't want to fly. So, I came up with the cruise.

He wasn't too sure about it at first, but after we boarded the ship and he looked around at all the stuff he could do he was hooked. He tells all of our friends they need to try it. A family vacation without the driving to restaurants, parks, beaches, shopping or anything else you want to do.:D

Well, for my DH he didn't want to go on another 'boat' (his words) because had been in the Navy for 6 years and was assigned to an air craft carrier. He said "A boat's a boat". But when we finished our first cruise he was a changed man! He informed me that was nothing like any 'boat' he had ever been on before! He said they feed you good food and keep you entertained. He said that if you can't find something to do on the cruise then you are crazy.

Archived