Luau at Polynesian Cultural Center

cruisegirl

If you are going to the Polynesian Cultural Center, by all means include the Luau and the show afterwards. The food at the luau is MUCH better than that at the highly touted Old Lahaina Luau on Maui, and the show is by far the best we have seen in the islands. It will be a late evening though, as you typically will not be able to get back to Waikiki until around 10:30-11:00. Still, it is definitely worth it.

If your objective is to see as many of the sights as possible, the PCC will take up much valuable time. :(

If your objective is to see the beauty of Oahu (the drive to the PCC is great, with the stylish mountains, waterfalls, pineapple fields and the North-shore beaches), become enthusiastically involved in learning about the polynesian culture of Hawaii and 6 other south-pacific islands, gain a tremendously deep appreciation and respect for the cultures and history of the islands, watch some fantastic shows with participants accurately representing each of the 7-island nations, and get a realistic meal with many favorite dishes of the locals...then the PCC is for you. :)

Pebbles and I will always treasure the visits we had at each of the island nations (4 of the 7 available) we visited, including Hawaii and Samoa (our favorites). In Hawaii, we learned how to make musical instrument and learn the history of the Hawaiian music and hula dancing (betcha didn't know it started as a male-dance first....). In Samoa, we learned how to make fire without a flint (Survivor fanatics could use their techniques), crack-open coconuts and climb palm-trees.... :D

The PCC is sooooooo much more than just a luau and evening show....btw, we saw a fire-dance show at the HHV on a Friday nite and left saying wow, that guy could really handle the fire-batons... Cruisegirl, he was really good, but he couldn't hold a candle compared to the fire-dancer at the PCC, he took our breath away..... :eek:

Aloha...you will enjoy the PCC....

We are planning on going to the PCC on our next trip. This will be our 5th visit to the PCC and we've tried all the dining venues except the Super Ambassador. Since we are planning on going to the Royal Hawaiian Luau the night before, just curious if there are any good restaurants outside the PCC? It would almost have to be in the immediate area.

If you go north on Rt 83 (from the PCC), a mile up the road on the left, there is a smallish shopping center on the left-side of the road. I recall there being a supermarket, restaurant and sandwich shop, and we stopped to get extra film at the supermarket, but no personal experience with the food places..at least, it would be a place to ask the locals for a referral.. :)

Thanks Bambam, the guide book I use mentions Haaula shopping center a few minutes down the road from PCC, so maybe that's the one you're referring to. The Lotus Inn Chop Suey House is located there, but the book is about 12 years old. I'm sure Spleen will have a recommendation or two.

Just to add, hope all turns out well for Pebbles on Tuesday, we'll say a prayer.

Dan - dinner? Dinner is hard in the area - most places close down except for the fast food places. Lunch might be good at the Hukilau Cafe (a recommendation from a recently purchased hole-in-a-wall Hawaiian dining guide) which is known for its roast pork plate lunches and fried rice plates. Or you could go to L&L in the Laie Shopping Center and have a generic plate lunch. :)

(I've been looking for the last 30 minutes for any reviews of Laie Chop Suey but can't find any so you may be on your own on that one, Dan)

Spleen

Is that the correct name? It was about 10 minutes south of PCC, and we really liked the food when we were there. Course, we used either Entertainment book, or would go for the early bird specials before 6:30, so the cost was more manageable. I have seen quite a crowds at times, but I've been gone over a year. Don't know if it is still up to par.

Hmmmm, would this be a good place to grab a bite of lunch on our Circle the Island Tour? Probably would be getting a little hungry about then after leaving Waikiki at "dark thirty", climbing Diamond Head, etc. Will need something about here. An authentic "hole in the wall" might be just the ticket. Any thoughts???

Ugh, Crouching Lion. Food is mediocre but the biggest negative about the place is that it's a tour spot stop so it tends to get overloaded with busloads of tourists if you happen to be there at the wrong time.

cctexan - might be. Are you going around clockwise or counterclockwise around the island? There are places that I can recommend with more confidence in Haleiwa and in Kaneohe/Kailua. Depends on which way you're going though ...

Spleen

Gosh, thanks Spleen - we will be leaving Waikiki and heading counterclockwise around the island. First stop - Diamond Head and then north! Any recommendations for a small authentic spot along the way for lunch would be great! Last time we were in that area I think we ended up grabbing something at the McD's just near the PCC:eek: ! Don't want to do THAT again! LOL!

So, going counterclockwise, you'll be going through Kailua/Kaneohe - great place to check out is Masa & Joyce's Okazuya II - it's an okazu-ya which is kind of a Japanese deli. Various things in the case that you can piece together to make a meal as well as multiple types of poke (raw fish prepared with Hawaiian spices). They also have plate lunches available as well Hawaiian plates on certain days - good stuff. Located on Kamehameha Highway in Kaneohe, near the intersection of Likelike Highway (if you need more specific instructions, let me know).

Otherwise, the various shrimp trucks in Kahuku would also be a great place to stop for lunch. I think I posted a link in another thread - check that out.

Also, in Haleiwa, Kua Aina gets my vote - best burger joint in Hawaii. For those that don't like beef, the mahimahi sandwich there is also one of the best.

Spleen

I don't think anyone has mentioned that alcoholic beverages are not served at the PCC Luau if that is important to anyone.

Hi Spleen and Bug-Dan! regards to Amanda and June. Still trying to tie Cheri down to a date to return to Oahu to visit her nephew at Hickam. His father, Cheri's brother, is also trying to get his sons schedule so that we can plan around the times he will be on the island and not traveling. Looking forward to getting away from Baltimore winter for a little while at least.

Just got back from a 14 night transatlantic, Rome to Baltimore, on the Galaxy which was another great time.

Hope to see you guys when, and if, we get over there.

Bud

Mahalo for the kind words and prayers...Pebbles made it through the valvoplasy procedure, but it didn't work - she'll have to have open-heart surgery next month to replace the mitral-valve... :(

Me thinks she'll have a better recovery in Lanakai than in Fairfax, VA...don'tcha think..... :D

BTW, it was the Laie Shopping Center I was thinking of (thanks Spleen...) Enjoy the PCC, we sure did....

Archived