help w/ excursions..belize or cozumel

kittiecat61

We were in Belize May 2006. The Altun Ha ruins were interesting but not terrific. However, the Belize river cruise to get there was nothing less than spectacular. Great guide and driver in a terrific 3 engine speed boat. Lot's of wildlife (gators, iguana, monkeys) and vegetation. The lunch provided at a little place right on the water while you wait for the bus was just terrific. Roasted chicken and rice was good basic fare. Well worth the price and the time (all day).

go over to the belize board and look at the reviews for lamanai and the river safari...it was outstanding. it is a long day...over an hour on a bus, an hour on a river boat (great ride with wildlife/birds watching) about 1 1/2 hours at the site with lunch. the site has 3 well preserved temples..all surrounded by jungle with howler monkeys and more birds. i did see very many,but some say the butterfly viewing can be very good.

i have photo in my webshot link...in my signature...under belize.

the only thing, do it through NCL...you tender off the boat in the 1st tender and on the bus, driving away before the next tender arrives. plus since it is a long tour, booking through NCL makes sure the boat will wait for you.

Agree with Toyz711, the Lamanai excursion (Belize) was incredible. Bus trip to the speed boat departure point gave us an opportunity to see some of the country; the speed boat trip was incredibly fun and exciting; lunch was great; ruins are in the middle of nowhere, monkeys overhead in the canopy, mind-blowing view from the top of the tallest ruin. Also saw a 15+ foot boa curled up at one of the ruin sites. Overall, one of the best things we've ever done.

Having been to both sets of ruins I will try and answer your direct question instead of going off in another direction of those previously. While the ruins at Tulum are more famous there really isn't alot of them to see. Just one small structure surrounded by smaller buildings and a courtyard. At Altun Ha it is a larger complex, much to still be excavated, and of more interest and not the tourist trap of Tulum.

If the historical value of the trip is the most important then go to Altun Ha and as others have stated, Belize is a wonderful place to visit.

Mac:) :) :)

my adult daughter and I are sailing on feb 23 and cant decide between the altun ha ruins in belize or the tulum mayan ruins in cozumel....can anyone tell me which is better? thanks

Are you sailing on the Sun? We are sailing the Sun on Feb 23rd. Myself, my DH and a couple of younger ladies are doing the Altun Ha Ruins with Belize City Tour because it is not a full day tour but better ruins, I'm told, than Tulum, which is basically a wall..

Laminai is supposed to be great, but was a bit too pricey for us, and we wanted to be able to have some time to explore and shop too.

If you go to the Roll Call for the Sun on Feb 23rd, you will see that we are having a meet and greet. Sign up for it, join the roll call, and you might get some great ideas there too. People have posted their tentative itineraries so groups can band and maybe save some dollars!

Archived