Excursion? Hippodrome/Temple of Artemis

kahunalady

I'm booking tours for Istanbul and Kusadasi and was wondering if we should take the basic tours or should we add the Hippodrome to our tour in Istanbul, and should we add the Temple of Artemis in Kusadashi? I haven't seen any reports on either of these two sights and was wondering if it is worth extending our days by a few hours each day to see them. I would appreciate any information you may have!

It depends on which tours you have booked. The Hippodrome in Istanbul is very close to several other sites (Topkapi Palace, Haghia Sophia, Blue Mosque) so I'd be surprised if you didn't get at least a brief stop there to see it, en route to the other sites I mentioned. As I recall, we stood in between two monuments (an Egyptian obelisk and a column) in what would have been more or less the center of the Hippodrome while our guide provided some background info.

As for the Temple of Artemis, it is mostly destroyed -- there are only 1 or 2 columns standing. We didn't get a chance to go down to the actual site of the temple, but had a nice vantage point to see the ruins during our stop at the Basilica of St. John (en route to Ephesus). I would've liked a closer look, but then I'm a nut for ruins....

When you are inside Haghia Sophia, the huge grayish-green pillars are supposedly taken from the Temple of Artemis and reused here. Ask your guide to point them out if you aren't sure. I really enjoyed having the chance to run my hands over them!

The Hippodrome is just a square next to the Blue Mosque. You can go through it to get to the Hagia Sophia or the Cisterns. Not a real highlight but interesting.

The Temple of Artemis has only a small ruin still left. Again interesting due to its stature as an Ancient Wonder of the World but not much to see. Its close to St. John Basilica and Ephesus.

Archived