Another Boatswain's Beach Question

mooseII

My DW and I are signed up for this excursion through NCL which includes the Turtle Farm and Boatswain's Beach ($59)

I may have gotten the wrong info on one of these boards, but I read that it costs extra to snorkle in the lagoon, meaning it wouldn't be included. If I bring my own snorkling equiptment, will I be charged extra to use the lagoon even though we're not renting their equiptment?

Thanks to anyone that can help, we're going next week and will write all about it. I know it's hard to get info, but I guess it's a pretty new place.

My DW and I are signed up for this excursion through NCL which includes the Turtle Farm and Boatswain's Beach ($59)

I may have gotten the wrong info on one of these boards, but I read that it costs extra to snorkle in the lagoon, meaning it wouldn't be included. If I bring my own snorkling equiptment, will I be charged extra to use the lagoon even though we're not renting their equiptment?

Thanks to anyone that can help, we're going next week and will write all about it. I know it's hard to get info, but I guess it's a pretty new place.

We are doing this tour 3/20 but with RCI and they stated snorkeling is included. Have you gone to Boatwains website? http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/

you can try and contact them? We are bringing our own snorkel gear

anyway, dont like to use others. When is your cruise? maybe we could report back for you?

We are doing this tour 3/20 but with RCI and they stated snorkeling is included. Have you gone to Boatwains website? http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/

anyway, dont like to use others. When is your cruise? maybe we could report back for you?

Yes, please tell us about your trip to Boatswain's when you get back. We also are planning on doing this tour with snorkel package when we go in Sept. We were thinking of taking a taxi & doing it on our own; but I think it may be better to go with RCI since we have to tender & taxi fare would be expensive.

Grand Cayman has virtually no crime so you can feel totally safe there. When you disembark the ship there will be tour guides, with vans, waiting to offer you very inexpensive tours. They are all licensed by the state. We've had wonderful tours everytime. From Georgetown you can go out to the Turtle Farm - $18 to play with turtles from babies to huge, or $56 for the water park experience, you can look them up online for more info. You can also visit Hell, which is really a souvenir shop/store with some interesting paintings on the outside and a post office drop in front of some very wicked volcanic formations. Picture opportunity is about all it offers - look online for more info. They'll take you to the Rum Cake Factory, actually it's another gift shop with samples of many many types of rum cake. Yum. On this tour they'll drive you through town and past 7 mile beach and generally talk all the way. You can have them drop you back at the ship, or at Cemetary Beach (part of 7 mile) where you can visit the white coral beach and swim in the always warm water. There's a reef there to snorkle, you can check it out along with many other Cayman snorkel sites online. Then, you can catch a public bus ($1.50 per person) back to the ship. The bus system is really 8 passenger vans and is totally reliable. It is also a wonderful way to see the island - you can look them up online also (use Grand Cayman public bus as your search term) and the site gives you all the routes and rates. If you take a tour to the opposite end of the island from Turtle Farm, you can visit the beautiful Queen Elizabeth II botanical garden and the Blue Iguana Habitat - look online for info. This tour will take you past miles of gorgeous beaches. If you ask, your driver will stop and let you look at blowholes. We rent scooters at Scooters and More and drive ourselves around the island. It's $45/day per person, but if you're not familiar with the island it might be a bit much for your first visit. Believe me, once you've gone, you'll go back.

Happy Cruising!

Yes I've been on the sight, but they don't have an e-mail address there that I can find. Only an international phone #. My DW and I are going next week, so I guess we'll report back to you. It's hard to find info, the place is so new.

Yes I've been on the sight, but they don't have an e-mail address there that I can find. Only an international phone #. My DW and I are going next week, so I guess we'll report back to you. It's hard to find info, the place is so new.

Yes, Please report back to us about the park ! We are a family of 4 and we booked this with RCCL on our March 2nd cruise, and it would be great to know if it includes the snorkel equip or not. Let us know how the food in the resturant is .Thanks!

I just spoke with my brother who did this excursion recently, he said you must have a blue band to snorkel, so unless you paid for the snorkel portion, they will not let you go even with your own equipment. So I am not sure if you have the snorkel included tour or not?:confused:

just found this at NCL website

Come and experience the most exciting attraction in the Cayman Islands, Boatswain's Beach and Turtle Farm! The beauty of Boatswain's Beach is the easy accessibility of water attractions and a beach, interacting with the birds and turtles, exploring in the wild on our nature trail, and experiencing a bit of true Caymanian culture. You can enjoy the wild of the deep blue Caribbean Sea, and swim nose to nose with sharks, turtles and other exotic fish as you peer through our predator tank. Adults can relax and enjoy a carefree day as children run free to splash and swim in Breaker's Lagoon. Our Education Center is a must to explore and where you can gain knowledge of the animals found throughout the park. Imaginations will soar as you observe the life of the beautiful birds from all over the Caribbean at our bird aviary. Come and experience Cayman's history as you stroll down Cayman Street and watch as the local artisans perform their various trades of rope making, thatching, 'ole' time cooking and much more.

sounds to me like you will be swimming/snorkeling!:D

From what my brother said, not like Discovery Cove, no dolphins to swim with, no stingray's to swim with. Only some fish. The swimming area is not real big either. It is on a very small scale. He didnt have much with him so he never needed a locker and didnt ask about them? so not sure on that one? Sorry my brother isnt much on details. He did mention a bar though, so I am sure that is why he cant remember a whole lot!

We are going 3/20 and will make a detailed report when we return.;)

yeah i figured no dolphins, thought maybe stingray. It looks to me like a small park that would force you to relax, which was our experience with discovery cove. I just wanted a sure bet to see some fish, hold a turtle or two and see the famous blue iguana.

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked out their website and this looks like it might be a fun place to go for the day. Our boat is only there until 3:30. How far away is it from the cruise ships? Do they have towels there or do you need to bring your own?

Boatswain's was a lot of fun, I got the excursion thru the ship and when we got there we were given colored wrist bands to wear and that allowed us in certain areas (basically everywhere). There's a neat swimming area, an area to snorkel and I know there were fish in that area but not sure about what kind, then there's an area where you can get up close to a glassed in area that has sharks and other fish so you can get a really good look the different sea life. There is also a bird sanctuary/butterfly that you can walk thru and it's really interesting and the flowers as well as the different birds were beautiful. Finally, you walk thru a Caymanian street where the people have little houses and they are making different things that you can watch them make. The gift shop and a snack bar are the last things you will see. But there is also a restaurant, the beer is cold and the food is good and actually fairly reasonably priced. There is also an educational room where you can pick articles about the turtles etc and some coloring sheets for the little ones. Didn't see any place for lockers but they do have restrooms and showers - you need to bring your own towels etc. A great place to go and spend some time - as long as you want - when the bus takes you back you'll also stop by Hell and it's worth the time if you've never been there. So anyone going to Boatswain's - enjoy it's well worth the time you spend there!

Boatswain's was a lot of fun, I got the excursion thru the ship and when we got there we were given colored wrist bands to wear and that allowed us in certain areas (basically everywhere). There's a neat swimming area, an area to snorkel and I know there were fish in that area but not sure about what kind, then there's an area where you can get up close to a glassed in area that has sharks and other fish so you can get a really good look the different sea life. There is also a bird sanctuary/butterfly that you can walk thru and it's really interesting and the flowers as well as the different birds were beautiful. Finally, you walk thru a Caymanian street where the people have little houses and they are making different things that you can watch them make. The gift shop and a snack bar are the last things you will see. But there is also a restaurant, the beer is cold and the food is good and actually fairly reasonably priced. There is also an educational room where you can pick articles about the turtles etc and some coloring sheets for the little ones. Didn't see any place for lockers but they do have restrooms and showers - you need to bring your own towels etc. A great place to go and spend some time - as long as you want - when the bus takes you back you'll also stop by Hell and it's worth the time if you've never been there. So anyone going to Boatswain's - enjoy it's well worth the time you spend there!

thanks so much for this awesome review!! we are going here 3/20 and are so excited!

One question: Do they have masks and fins to use?

thanks so much for this awesome review!! we are going here 3/20 and are so excited!

One question: Do they have masks and fins to use?

Hi,

Just got back from being on the FOS, and we did the Boatswain Marine Park on March6/08.They provide the snorkel, mask, and life vest, no fins.

They have quite abit of fish in the snorkel area but they basically stay around the pier at the resturant. Food is VERY expensive in the resturant(2 alcholic drinks,1 beer, 1pop,1 chicken chesasidesa,nachos with cheese and 5 chicken fingers only) $75.The turtles were fantastic to see and to hold. The swimming pool area is very nice withlounge chairs and some shaded areas. hope this helps!

Hi,

Just got back from being on the FOS, and we did the Boatswain Marine Park on March6/08.They provide the snorkel, mask, and life vest, no fins.

They have quite abit of fish in the snorkel area but they basically stay around the pier at the resturant. Food is VERY expensive in the resturant(2 alcholic drinks,1 beer, 1pop,1 chicken chesasidesa,nachos with cheese and 5 chicken fingers only) $75.The turtles were fantastic to see and to hold. The swimming pool area is very nice withlounge chairs and some shaded areas. hope this helps!

yes! thanks we are packing right now!

Did people even NEED fins? The place looks so small that maybe we can leave our fins at home? What do you think?:confused:

That is outrageous by the way for food!!:eek:

yes! thanks we are packing right now!

Did people even NEED fins? The place looks so small that maybe we can leave our fins at home? What do you think?:confused:

That is outrageous by the way for food!!:eek:

Hi,

I don't think you would need fins , we snorkeld fine without them.

Hi,

Darsgang:

Did they make you wear the life vest?

Do you have to snorkle to see the predator tank? How does that work exactly? Just wondering if it is all under water.

Does anyone know how long they let you stay if you take the Carnival excursion to Boatswains? Would it be worthwhile to rent a car so we could stay longer? We don't care about going to Hell or doing a town tour.

In the lagoon area, how shallow is it? Is it shallow enough for a 6 year old, but deep enough for older kids? Is that where you see the fish?

Does anyone have a menu they could post?

Thanks for your input!

Good evening, At the end of this post will be a link to some recent reviews on the Grand Cayman. The site is Trip Adviser and we have put together several long trips using the information from this website. Most recently Peru and Egypt.

Hope this helps.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147366-d148100-r14116565-Cayman_Turtle_Farm-George_Town_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html#TOPC

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have to snorkle to see the predator tank? How does that work exactly? Just wondering if it is all under water.

You can see the sharks from a window around back of the tank, go across the bridge and to the right.....

Does anyone know how long they let you stay if you take the Carnival excursion to Boatswains? Would it be worthwhile to rent a car so we could stay longer? We don't care about going to Hell or doing a town tour.

We only got to stay from 9 - 1245. They have a public city bus that can take you back to the peir, for like $5 a person, there is a stop right at the place. WE had plenty of time when we were there, it is a small place.

In the lagoon area, how shallow is it? Is it shallow enough for a 6 year old, but deep enough for older kids? Is that where you see the fish?

It is zero entry but there are some very deep parts...they did require a life vest in the snorkel pond. Yes, it is deep enough for good swimmers and there are some places the 6 year could stand as you enter.

Does anyone have a menu they could post?

Sorry no menu to post, but I do recall Burgers were $10 and so we just "snacked" and went back and ate on the ship.

Thanks for your input!

See my answers above in red.

Archived