So, I'm dense...please spell out the dress code for me...

paul1959

We are on the QM2 March 10 out of NYC.

After reading some of the posts on here, I have to say, what started out to be such a simple formula of dress code seems to be more complicated than it appears...or is it? We do not want to set any trends, nor do we want to cause consternation when we arrive at our table!

Ok, I have my black tie dinner jacket no problem. I just change shirts/ties I'm set for however many formal nights there end up being. For "Casual elegant" I saw someone was being dashing in white dinner jacket and fun tie. Is it really this dressy? What about a seersucker suit? Linen blazer and trousers? Blue blazer and kahki pants? Are these too informal?

Then for my wife...now here's the real minefield. The woman at Cunard said "The typical little black dress is all she'll need for formal night." then we read on another web site, that most of the women do, indeed, go the evening/ball gown route. So, is it really that formal? Then cocktail dresses on the other nights? Or is dressy cocktail dress enough for the balls and formal night and dressy country club attire for the rest of the trip.

We're all for whatever the dress is, but don't want to be at either end of the spectrum.

So, Angela, (who seems to know an awful lot about all this stuff) where do we aim in order to be on the mark?

Thanks...

Paul

We are on the QM2 March 10 out of NYC.

After reading some of the posts on here, I have to say, what started out to be such a simple formula of dress code seems to be more complicated than it appears...or is it? We do not want to set any trends, nor do we want to cause consternation when we arrive at our table!

Ok, I have my black tie dinner jacket no problem. I just change shirts/ties I'm set for however many formal nights there end up being. For "Casual elegant" I saw someone was being dashing in white dinner jacket and fun tie. Is it really this dressy? What about a seersucker suit? Linen blazer and trousers? Blue blazer and kahki pants? Are these too informal?

Then for my wife...now here's the real minefield. The woman at Cunard said "The typical little black dress is all she'll need for formal night." then we read on another web site, that most of the women do, indeed, go the evening/ball gown route. So, is it really that formal? Then cocktail dresses on the other nights? Or is dressy cocktail dress enough for the balls and formal night and dressy country club attire for the rest of the trip.

We're all for whatever the dress is, but don't want to be at either end of the spectrum.

So, Angela, (who seems to know an awful lot about all this stuff) where do we aim in order to be on the mark?

Thanks...

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'll do my best to explain it to you and use the combination of what's being worn, and I know this because I saw it myself and wore it myself, and what you've got in mind.

Formal night: Dinner jacket and black tie for you and long gown for your wife. If she's got the suitcase room and desire for a ball gown, then she should bring it.

Semiformal/Informal: This is where the white dinner jacket (with paisley tie) came in, which is fine, or a dark suit. My husband wore his white dinner jacket (with his black tie) and looked a treat. The little black dress or any cocktail style dress or separates for your wife.

Elegant casual: The seersucker suit, linen and/or blue blazer. The code says no tie required, but many men do wear ties this night as well, but it's ok if you leave the tie off. For your wife it would be a dress, skirt and blouse, trousers and blouse. Your country club attire example would be perfect here.

Some have tried to say, "Well, it's the Caribbean so it's more casual." This just isn't true. Everyone I saw seemed happy to have the opportunity to dress up and did so. And they do have air-conditioning inside the ship and if you should go outside, the Mary's moving at such a clip that the breezes will keep you from overheating.

Getting dressed up in the evening is part of the fun of sailing on the Mary, so don't be surprised that when you and your wife are surrounded with a shipful of people dressed as elegantly as you you don't imagine you've suddenly been transported into one of those glamourous old movies.

There you go. How did I do? :)

Thank you! you spelled it out perfectly!

After reading some other sites, it almost sounded like a a high school prom - that painful over-the-top where the outfit almost becomes a costume? Your description sounds refined, elegant and delightful. there are so few occasions where people wear nice clothes anymore. We live outside NYC and even in the city, casual has taken over. Even New Years Eve at the Metropolitan opera isn't what is used to be. And Broadway shows - it's all sneakers and backpacks.

We go to a church on 5th Ave where all the ushers still wear morning coats. There is a sliver of civilisation left!

Sartorially yours,

Paul

There is a sliver of civilisation left!

Sartorially yours,

Paul

And you will find it as well on the QM2. And welcome to our forum....hopefully we'll all be able to answer any questions you might have. Dressing more formally is one of the things that first drew us to the QM2...well, that and that wonderful liner bow of hers!! Even in the Caribbean, as Angela says, the dress continues to be formal and even elegant casual nights are dressier. And as you stroll around the ship at night you will truly enjoy the ambiance that this adherence to the dress codes creates.

She's a wonderful ship with so much to see and do and never enough time to do it in. So follow "Penny's Law"...stay up late and get up early...it will feel like you have more time onboard. You will also return home terribly sleep deprived but who cares!

The link for my "Affair to Remember" review of our first Caribbean is in my signature below....it's an ongoing affair, only getting better with time. Do enjoy your first voyage on her and please come back and tell us about it. We live vicariously here in between our own trips.;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Thank you! you spelled it out perfectly!

After reading some other sites, it almost sounded like a a high school prom - that painful over-the-top where the outfit almost becomes a costume? Your description sounds refined, elegant and delightful. there are so few occasions where people wear nice clothes anymore. We live outside NYC and even in the city, casual has taken over. Even New Years Eve at the Metropolitan opera isn't what is used to be. And Broadway shows - it's all sneakers and backpacks.

We go to a church on 5th Ave where all the ushers still wear morning coats. There is a sliver of civilisation left!

Sartorially yours,

Paul

Since this is how you feel, Paul, you and your wife will love your time onboard. Yes, elegant, no, not costume-y.

I saw a man in a red flannel shirt once at the Met, and while it's nice that everyone enjoys opera, I thought it was more of a daytime sort of shirt.

Enjoy! And when you get to St. Lucia, the zip-lining thru the rainforest is a can't miss.

Hi Paul,

I'll do my best to explain it to you and use the combination of what's being worn, and I know this because I saw it myself and wore it myself, and what you've got in mind.

Formal night: Dinner jacket and black tie for you and long gown for your wife. If she's got the suitcase room and desire for a ball gown, then she should bring it.

Semiformal/Informal: This is where the white dinner jacket (with paisley tie) came in, which is fine, or a dark suit. My husband wore his white dinner jacket (with his black tie) and looked a treat. The little black dress or any cocktail style dress or separates for your wife.

Elegant casual: The seersucker suit, linen and/or blue blazer. The code says no tie required, but many men do wear ties this night as well, but it's ok if you leave the tie off. For your wife it would be a dress, skirt and blouse, trousers and blouse. Your country club attire example would be perfect here.

Some have tried to say, "Well, it's the Caribbean so it's more casual." This just isn't true. Everyone I saw seemed happy to have the opportunity to dress up and did so. And they do have air-conditioning inside the ship and if you should go outside, the Mary's moving at such a clip that the breezes will keep you from overheating.

Getting dressed up in the evening is part of the fun of sailing on the Mary, so don't be surprised that when you and your wife are surrounded with a shipful of people dressed as elegantly as you you don't imagine you've suddenly been transported into one of those glamourous old movies.

There you go. How did I do? :)

Beautifully put Angela:D

Sharon

No-one has, I think, mentioned the requirement that a Gentleman ties his own bow tie?

Am I the only one left who cares?

You can get away with two suits - one business suit for Semi-formal and Elegant Casual and a dress suit for formal.

And you only need one dress shirt - the ship can launder and press it in time for the following night. Best have a spare, just in case, but I've done several trips with only one....

Matthew

No-one has, I think, mentioned the requirement that a Gentleman ties his own bow tie?

Matthew

Or, one requests, and is graciously granted, a special exemption to use one of those other things...gasp, the pre-tied tie. ;)

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

As Angela said, I would hope it did not need mentioning. Even my 14 yr old son who is wearing one of my old dinner jackets will probably be tying his own bow tie.

Then dare I bring up the deaded conflict of wing collar vs. spread collar? The feeling has always been that wing collars were for the wait staff. But I look around today and realize that I am quite in the minority.

Then there is the lapel issue...things go on and on don't they? Shawl lapels are de rigeur for me. Things start looking decidedly Bronxian with some of those peaks.

Oh, I don't really take this all that seriously and am not a snob about it, but it is fascinating how traditions come and go, isn't it? It's all what you are used to. My wife doesn't even like me wearing ventless sports coats or suits - too designer! Hahaha The world of the old fart!

Paul

Have a question too regarding evening wear. I am departing on the QM2 this Friday so I am in need on some advise if you may.

In the Kings Court for dinner can I wear khakis with a colared shirt? Or must I wear a jacket there too?

Also, in Todd English do I follow the dress code for the main dining rooms? Or can I also wear khakis with a colared shirt?

I just want to know how many jackets to bring! I could rewear my suit jacket but it does not go with all my outfits and one night I would like to eat just a bit more casual (like the day I am in the Bahamas).

Many Thanks!

Have a question too regarding evening wear. I am departing on the QM2 this Friday so I am in need on some advise if you may.

In the Kings Court for dinner can I wear khakis with a colared shirt? Or must I wear a jacket there too?

Also, in Todd English do I follow the dress code for the main dining rooms? Or can I also wear khakis with a colared shirt?

I just want to know how many jackets to bring! I could rewear my suit jacket but it does not go with all my outfits and one night I would like to eat just a bit more casual (like the day I am in the Bahamas).

Many Thanks!

Doesn't matter where you eat (except for your room). The evening attire is in all places public on the ship. Elegant casual means jacket, no tie required. Informal - jacket (or suit) and tie. Formal - black tie or dark suit and tie. Angela spells this out much more elegantly above. And will surely correct me if I have this wrong (fingers crossed!):rolleyes:

As Angela said, I would hope it did not need mentioning. Even my 14 yr old son who is wearing one of my old dinner jackets will probably be tying his own bow tie.

Excellent. I'm with Wilde on this one - "Learning how to tie a bow tie really well is the first important step in life."

Then dare I bring up the deaded conflict of wing collar vs. spread collar? The feeling has always been that wing collars were for the wait staff. But I look around today and realize that I am quite in the minority.

There is nothing to say that the minority is wrong. Wing collar for white tie or cads, normal collar (which is what I presume you mean by "spread collar" for Black Tie.

The world of the old fart!

I know. Comfortable, safe place, isn't it?

Matthew

Then dare I bring up the deaded conflict of wing collar vs. spread collar? The feeling has always been that wing collars were for the wait staff. But I look around today and realize that I am quite in the minority. ...

Paul

I've quoted Miss Manners' "Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millennium" on this topic before in these threads and here I go again:

Black tie and the more formal white tie seem to have gotten strangely mixed up. Wing-collared shirts belong with white tie only (never mind what the rental shop told you: the black band around the back of the neck looks like a major case of ring around the collar) ...

Don't worry about being in the minority, we may be less numerous, but we are more correct as well as more comfortable.

Paul

Doesn't matter where you eat (except for your room). The evening attire is in all places public on the ship. Elegant casual means jacket, no tie required. Informal - jacket (or suit) and tie. Formal - black tie or dark suit and tie. Angela spells this out much more elegantly above. And will surely correct me if I have this wrong (fingers crossed!):rolleyes:

sorry, but this is not the case, the evening's dress code is inforced in the brittania restaurent, todd english but not in the king's court in the ev ening, this is direct from cunard and also written in the daily ship's programme

Actually there is a simpler way of addressing the dress code:

Formal suit: everybody knows this is the black tie dinner jacket with a black tie (and some of us have a preference for wing collar, since they get to wear them in the Courtroom as well, ne c'est pas, Matthew? ;) )

Semi-Formal: like the above, but you only wear half the suit. Either the jacket or the trouser. And nothing else. During winter crossings, it is acceptable to wear long johns if you opt for wearing the top half of the suit only, but only in so far as the ship is crossing the Labrador's Current.

Elegant Casual: wear a tie... and anything else you fancy... or nothing at all, provided you wear the tie... where you fasten it, it shall be left to the wearer's discretion. The concept of "casual" is that you grab the first thing or things you find... so it is acceptable to come wearing your pijamas, your wife's ball gown, or a lifejacket... provided you wear the tie.

Only exception is that, if you wear only a tie and nothing else, as a rule, decorations and pins MUST be worn, to prove to the fellow passengers your true valour and resistance to pain.

:D

(I am adding a picture of me at one of my Elegant Casual dinners, when I decided not to dress up and to come as I was at home...)

IOFL-080208-078.jpg.b70978f2425309ce931bfad062c531b9.jpg

Fizzy seems adamant that you do NOT have to have a jacket for the Kings Court, and apparently she/he has gotten this directly from Cunard and has mentioned this more than once (both the dress and contact with Cunard), so she/he obviously has given this a great deal of consideration.

I would imagine that nice man Paul, who is the OP, would have his jacket on even if he were to try and find his way around the Kings Court one evening, whether Cunard told him to or not. ;)

I just overdress when they say Elegant Casual because it's so much easier. And besides, It's MY vacation and I'll wear whatever I want! :D

I'm confused, get the Draino!

The documentation I have says that the "Evening's Attire" for "Elegant Casual" for gentlemen is "Jacket, no tie required". Whether or not it is enforced in Kings' Court was not the question. I grant you, it is unlikely that the stewards prowl the Court telling people to leave who are not wearing jackets. Again, this is not about whether one "can get away with it."

I presumed the OP wished guidance as to the dress code. Since I have no experience with this yet, I certainly do not consider myself an expert on what really goes on, but I have been able to read from an early age and if Fizzy1 is correct, then Cunard are bending the rules they themselves have set.

As to this exception for Kings' Court dining in the daily programme, what did it say? "Those of you who choose to dine outside of the dining rooms, you have leave to dine without jackets."?

Thank you for the replies. I actually called Cunard and they said that the Kings Court attire could be jacket-less. Who knows if who I spoke with is on target with this but I will just wear the jacket anyway. Sometimes after a beach day I dont want to (I have that sandy feeling even after I bathe!!!) wear a jacket but I will suck it up!!!!!

Thank you for the replies. I actually called Cunard and they said that the Kings Court attire could be jacket-less. Who knows if who I spoke with is on target with this but I will just wear the jacket anyway. Sometimes after a beach day I dont want to (I have that sandy feeling even after I bathe!!!) wear a jacket but I will suck it up!!!!!

Rule number one.

Never trust Cunard Shoreside!

What the Daily Programme actually says is:

"The dress code applies from 6 pm. The dress code will be enforced in the Britannia, Grill and Todd English restaurants."

To me this means that the dress code applies throughout the ship, but will only be enforced in the stated restaurants. So they'd rather you kept to it, but you will only be hunted down and told to change in the formal restaurants. I much prefer the diktat on QE2 which simply says that the dress code applies ship-wide.

Matthew

Thank you for the replies. I actually called Cunard and they said that the Kings Court attire could be jacket-less. Who knows if who I spoke with is on target with this

Ahh, now there's a leap of faith....expecting Cunard shoreside to actually have the right answer. We seem to find that your answer can change depending on how many times, and how many different people one speaks to.:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

I'm confused, get the Draino!

The documentation I have says that the "Evening's Attire" for "Elegant Casual" for gentlemen is "Jacket, no tie required". Whether or not it is enforced in Kings' Court was not the question. I grant you, it is unlikely that the stewards prowl the Court telling people to leave who are not wearing jackets. Again, this is not about whether one "can get away with it."

I presumed the OP wished guidance as to the dress code. Since I have no experience with this yet, I certainly do not consider myself an expert on what really goes on, but I have been able to read from an early age and if Fizzy1 is correct, then Cunard are bending the rules they themselves have set.

As to this exception for Kings' Court dining in the daily programme, what did it say? "Those of you who choose to dine outside of the dining rooms, you have leave to dine without jackets."?

I can clarify some of this. It is an historically known fact that Cunard on land are often wrong when it comes to what actually happens onboard the ships. For instance: They told Paul/OP that a little black dress would be appropriate attire for his wife for Formal night. If she wore that, she would be underdressed and feel out of place. We don't know what they told Fizzy until Fizzy tells us what they told Fizzy. Why they told Paul/OP this, only the Cunard land-based people know. It's as if they've never been on any of the ships!

And I know this, too--after 6:00pm the dress code is followed. If one insisted upon wearing something other than what is the dress code for a particular evening to dine in the Kings Court, for instance, and went out and about to the casino, Commodore Club, etc., they would not be dressed like everyone else.

I don't recall reading anything like what you've said in the Daily Programme and I'm too lazy to go upstairs to get the stack of them to see if there is some sort of guidance. So I have to go with the written dress code and my personal experiece. Passengers dress for the occasion and everyone looks as if they're having fun doing it. It has to be quite distressing to insist upon not taking the easy way out and following the dress code. And a lot less fun, too. Wonder what the point is, because those who demand they will wear whatever they wish always seem so unhappy and angry?

Am I the only one left who cares?

Matthew

I believe Angela and Penny intend to walk around tugging on them after dinner- 1) to be sure they are not pre-tied, 2- So they can enjoy he James Bond look

Actually there is a simpler way of addressing the dress code:

Formal suit: everybody knows this is the black tie dinner jacket with a black tie (and some of us have a preference for wing collar, since they get to wear them in the Courtroom as well, ne c'est pas, Matthew? ;) )

Semi-Formal: like the above, but you only wear half the suit. Either the jacket or the trouser. And nothing else. During winter crossings, it is acceptable to wear long johns if you opt for wearing the top half of the suit only, but only in so far as the ship is crossing the Labrador's Current.

Elegant Casual: wear a tie... and anything else you fancy... or nothing at all, provided you wear the tie... where you fasten it, it shall be left to the wearer's discretion. The concept of "casual" is that you grab the first thing or things you find... so it is acceptable to come wearing your pijamas, your wife's ball gown, or a lifejacket... provided you wear the tie.

Only exception is that, if you wear only a tie and nothing else, as a rule, decorations and pins MUST be worn, to prove to the fellow passengers your true valour and resistance to pain.

:D

(I am adding a picture of me at one of my Elegant Casual dinners, when I decided not to dress up and to come as I was at home...)

How tacky./ I can't believe you came to dinner in just your ROBE! Even *I would not do that!

SO tell, me, now that you have spelled it out- What do the women wear?

and top secret_

You do not have to dine in your bathroom if you for some reason cannot bear to wear a jacket. That is WHY the dress code is "not enforced in Kong's Court. You will see people in there not dressed, probably only at the buffet area- not the white cloth area (Which 3 of the 4 are for dinner) You will also see some people change after dinner- (mostly into gargoyles or karaoke singers) but most stay dressed. Let me make that "dressed up!" This is not a clothing optional cruise!

KP

Archived