So, I'm dense...please spell out the dress code for me...

paul1959

It is an historically known fact that Cunard on land are often wrong when it comes to what actually happens onboard the ships. It's as if they've never been on any of the ships!

I think this is the problem. I don't think many of the Cunard customer service folks have ever been on any ship -- expecially a Cunard ship!

I, too, am shaking my head over the advice given to Paul that all his wife would need for formal nights would be a little black dress. You wonder what additional advice they are offering!

Beth

I think this is the problem. I don't think many of the Cunard customer service folks have ever been on any ship -- expecially a Cunard ship!

I, too, am shaking my head over the advice given to Paul that all his wife would need for formal nights would be a little black dress. You wonder what additional advice they are offering!

Beth

Especially if you happen to be a BIG person. That could be really gross! EEEWWW!

Karie,

No such thing as a LITTLE black dress for me, I'm afraid!

Note the recent omission of "enforced".

2004formal_edited.jpg

2006formal_edited.jpg

2008formal_edited.jpg

Maybe this is a good sign? Because now everyone knows what to wear and don't have to be threatened with no dinner?

Or they can ask someone (like us) who's actually been onboard the ships?

Maybe this is a good sign? Because now everyone knows what to wear and don't have to be threatened with no dinner?

Or they can ask someone (like us) who's actually been onboard the ships?

I'm an optimist, Angela, so I hope that you are right. Anyway, it is more flattering than tiresome to be asked for guidance, however often, and perpetual repetition is what keeps this board going. Repetition of our originality, of course.

Paul

How tacky./ I can't believe you came to dinner in just your ROBE! Even *I would not do that!

SO tell, me, now that you have spelled it out- What do the women wear?

KP

That is actually robeS, not robe (as in "robes of office") and consists of the black gown, the removable wing collar and the bands, and the wig (dyed horsehair, from the mane if you are lucky, from the tail if you decide to go to a cheaper shop... and before I hear screams of complaints, all the horses whence the hair comes live a lovely free-ranging and roaming life, are provided with all the comforts, including books on English and foreign literature, and receive counselling to recover from the shock, after their manes and tails hair has been cut off, and large tubs of Hagen-Dasz, to see them through that hard time in theil lives until the hair grow back).

I wore my robeS ( :D ) because the Spider-Man costume was still in the laundry... it was either that or stealing Captain McNaughty's uniform, and I did not fancy spending the rest of the crossing inside a lifeboat towed by the QE2... or in the QV! :p

What women wear?

Er...

Erm...

Is this one of those trick questions? Like when I used to go shopping with my ex-girlfriend and after the first 4-5 hours my cerebral activities had slowed down to the level of an amoeba.... (and a very stupid and lobothomized amoeba at that)... and I would just answer on automatic "Yes dear, that would look very good on you!" to whatever she was holding?? (It worked very well, until I heard her roaring, and lifting my gaze, I noticed she was holding a pack of bin liners...)

:D

I'm an optimist, Angela, so I hope that you are right. Anyway, it is more flattering than tiresome to be asked for guidance, however often, and perpetual repetition is what keeps this board going. Repetition of our originality, of course.

Paul

Yes. Always attempt to repeat as originally as possible.

And perhaps Mrs. Julie, between 2006 and 2008, told her husband, "Christopher, you don't have to threaten the passengers with shame and disgrace over the dress code any longer...the Cruise Critic people are taking care of it and are cracking the whip."

That is actually robeS, not robe (as in "robes of office") and consists of the black gown, the removable wing collar and the bands, and the wig (dyed horsehair, from the mane if you are lucky, from the tail if you decide to go to a cheaper shop... and before I hear screams of complaints, all the horses whence the hair comes live a lovely free-ranging and roaming life, are provided with all the comforts, including books on English and foreign literature, and receive counselling to recover from the shock, after their manes and tails hair has been cut off, and large tubs of Hagen-Dasz, to see them through that hard time in theil lives until the hair grow back).

Wait, wait! Are you the one who told me about Farmer Brwon and his two horse- Couldn't tell them apart. Farmer Jones tells him, well, why don't you cut off the mane on one!

Farmer Brown thinks this is a fabulous idea. He does so and is very pleased. But eventually, the mane grew back in. He complains once more to Farmer jones. Farmer Jones says, "Well, the tail is longer, Why don't you cut off the tail on one?" framer Brown thinks this is a wonderful idea. He does so and is quite pleased. But, well, you know. Eventually, the tail grew back.

So once more, across the fence, he complains to Farmer Jones. Aggravated and exasperated, Farmer Jones says, Well heck! Why don't you measure them!

Sure enough. Next time they're chatting over the fence, Farmer Brown says, "Wal, neighbah, You was right! Seems the Black 'un was 14 hands and the Palomino was only 13 1/2!

(bad-dum-dum)

Karie

Wait, wait! Are you the one who told me about Farmer Brown and his two horses?

Couldn't tell them apart. Farmer Jones tells him, well, why don't you cut off the mane on one!

Farmer Brown thinks this is a great idea. He does so and is very pleased. But eventually, the mane grew back in. He complains once more to Farmer Jones. Farmer Jones says, "Well, the tail is longer, Why don't you cut off the tail on one?" framer Brown thinks this is a wonderful idea. He does so and is quite pleased. But, well, you know. Eventually, the tail grew back.

So once more, across the fence, he complains to Farmer Jones. Aggravated and exasperated, Farmer Jones says, Well heck! Why don't you measure them!

Sure enough. Next time they're chatting over the fence, Farmer Brown says, "Wal, neighbah, You was right! Seems the Black 'un was 14 hands and the Palomino was only 13 1/2!"

(bad-dum-dum)

Karie

A patterned or colored shirt (other than ivory) turns a suit into somewhat informal attire. Also, any shoes other than black are fairly casual as well. If he is not wearing black dinner jacket, best to dress as an undertaker.

But you know, black - and the companion ivory - dinner jackets are not at all expensive these days. You can find good tropical weight wool outfits on the internet for less than $200.00. These are staples in most men's wardrobes. If you husband finds them uncomfortable, it might be because he has only worn the awful rental ones. For that matter, some of the finest dinner jackets I've seen for sale were at the local thrift shop. Men have it FAR easier than women when it comes to formal attire. We don a uniform that has been around for decades.

my two cents...

Paul

We just came back from the Feb 2 voyage. Believe me just be comfortable!

The little black long dress or just plain long chiffon pants are more than enough! Tops are tops! All those little beaded and jewleled tops are the way to go. The incredible shoes are a must! This seems to be the year of the dressy shoe!

Have fun! On any night you will see many who do not dress up. You can eat in the alternate dining area that is almost better than the Brit club..

[quote name='paul1959']We are on the QM2 March 10 out of NYC.

After reading some of the posts on here, I have to say, what started out to be such a simple formula of dress code seems to be more complicated than it appears...or is it? We do not want to set any trends, nor do we want to cause consternation when we arrive at our table!

Ok, I have my black tie dinner jacket no problem. I just change shirts/ties I'm set for however many formal nights there end up being. For "Casual elegant" I saw someone was being dashing in white dinner jacket and fun tie. Is it really this dressy? What about a seersucker suit? Linen blazer and trousers? Blue blazer and kahki pants? Are these too informal?

Then for my wife...now here's the real minefield. The woman at Cunard said "The typical little black dress is all she'll need for formal night." then we read on another web site, that most of the women do, indeed, go the evening/ball gown route. So, is it really that formal? Then cocktail dresses on the other nights? Or is dressy cocktail dress enough for the balls and formal night and dressy country club attire for the rest of the trip.
We're all for whatever the dress is, but don't want to be at either end of the spectrum.
So, Angela, (who seems to know an awful lot about all this stuff) where do we aim in order to be on the mark?
Thanks...
Paul[/quote]

[quote name='bobbisbobbles']I have the dress code in the evenings down, but my husband is concerned as to what to wear during the day. We were told "Country Club" casual. What is this? Is a polo shirt and khaki slacks ok?[/quote]
Yes.

[quote name='bobbisbobbles']I have the dress code in the evenings down, but my husband is concerned as to what to wear during the day. We were told "Country Club" casual. What is this? Is a polo shirt and khaki slacks ok?[/quote]

You don't say where you are going or on which ship. In looking at your other posts, it seems you are going on the QM2 to the Caribbean. You will find the dress code pretty casual during the day. Your husband will look great in his polo shirt and khaki slacks. You will also see men in shorts especially when going ashore. It gets pretty hot in the Caribbean ports.

Beth

[quote name='imacruizer']You don't say where you are going or on which ship. In looking at your other posts, it seems you are going on the QM2 to the Caribbean. You will find the dress code pretty casual during the day. Your husband will look great in his polo shirt and khaki slacks. You will also see men in shorts especially when going ashore. It gets pretty hot in the Caribbean ports.

Beth[/QUOTE]

Daytime, anything goes. As long as you are covered!

[quote name='arldicmcki']We just came back from the Feb 2 voyage. Believe me just be comfortable!

The little black long dress or just plain long chiffon pants are more than enough! Tops are tops! All those little beaded and jewleled tops are the way to go. The incredible shoes are a must! This seems to be the year of the dressy shoe!

Have fun! On any night you will see many who do not dress up. You can eat in the alternate dining area that is almost better than the Brit club..[/quote]

This is untrue. Please follow the dress code. No one who cares wishes to see anyone who does not bother to dress up.

Have I noticed a tendency to a more casual approach to shipboard on these short Caribbean trips? I think I've heard the TA's are the most glamorous. I am supposing that the ten day Caribbean trips are a bit more formal than the short ones. Gad, at least I hope so with all that I am packing for this trip. While it has been great for my wife to spruce up her formal wear wardrobe, I hope she will have had a reason to do so once we get on board! I certainly hope we are surrounded by folks who also have decided to take the time to look their best. It elevates everything from the mundane to memorable.
I have been laughing that why did our very first cruise have to be the Queen Mary 2! Talk about high stakes! Do I have to leave my "Home of the Whopper" (with the arrow pointing down) T-shirt at home? How about my wife's T-shirt that says "I'm with Stupid" (arrow pointing at me)?
Paul

Paul, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I was on a 10 night Caribbean cruise in November. I was thrilled at how beautifully dressed everyone was on EVERY night. Even on the casual nights people were all dressed up. It certainly made the atmosphere very special. Your wife will look lovely in all her formal clothes and she will be so pleased that she decided to spruce up her formal wardrobe. Since she now has so many beautiful formal clothes, I'm sure she will be eager to book another cruise soon.

AND YES!!!! Leave those t-shirts at home!!!

Have a great time on your cruise!

Beth

[quote name='paul1959']Have I noticed a tendency to a more casual approach to shipboard on these short Caribbean trips? I think I've heard the TA's are the most glamorous. I am supposing that the ten day Caribbean trips are a bit more formal than the short ones. Gad, at least I hope so with all that I am packing for this trip. While it has been great for my wife to spruce up her formal wear wardrobe, I hope she will have had a reason to do so once we get on board! I certainly hope we are surrounded by folks who also have decided to take the time to look their best. It elevates everything from the mundane to memorable.
I have been laughing that why did our very first cruise have to be the Queen Mary 2! Talk about high stakes! Do I have to leave my "Home of the Whopper" (with the arrow pointing down) T-shirt at home? How about my wife's T-shirt that says "I'm with Stupid" (arrow pointing at me)?
Paul[/quote]

Dear Paul,

The tendency is to say the shorter voyages are more casual and that poses a conundrum, because they are not. Unfortunately, some have decided to make up their own rules. Don't give this a moment's thought. You and your wife should wear your nice things and if you noticed, a 10 night Caribbean is longer than a 6 night crossing. ;)

We were on the Mary to the Caribbean for 10 nights last month. Everyone was dressed up and dressed properly. What a treat it was.

Oh, and yes. Another vote you leave those particular two t-shirts at home. :p

I can't bring those T-shirts??? then what do i wear with my favorite Budweiser baseball cap? I suppose I have to leave all my NASCAR muscle shirts at home too. Gee, I thought these cruses were supposed to be fun. There will still be the belly-flop contests, right?:p

Archived