Question re unfilled Penthouses-Rotterdam

localady

Upgrades to the penthouse are very rare. Keeping the penthouse clean is a big undertaking.

Have your TA ask "Inventory Control" if any special prices is available. It is possible that a good price will be available since you are so close to sailing.

That's an excellent suggestion ... thanks. I'm going to call Marcia in the morning and see what she can find out for me. The last time I asked about possible upgrades for discounted prices -- a few weeks ago -- she replied back that HAL wasn't talking about such offers yet. Her suggestion was to check when we got to check-in ... but perhaps, now that we're just 4 days an a bunch of hours away (WOW!) perhaps they'll be able to tell us more.

I doubt it'll be as low as $250. IF they offered us an upgrade to a B or an A for about $500 pp we'd go for it, though. To get the balcony it would be worth it. If not ... well ... I'm happy with my standard j-category cabin. :D

Revneal, I am so jealous. I love the Zaandam. You will love it, if you dont' already. We were on the Zaandam in Sept '00, and we booked a SS. My husband made an offer when we booked for $600 to upgrade to an S. The suites were quite a bit higher then and the TA told him, "They won't take it. They never do that." Well, guess what? Two weeks before we sailed, they called and took our offer. They needed the SS, so we got an S and it ruined us. We have booked SS since and they are great, but the S is to die for. If I were you, I'd just fax them an offer. You never know. We were told to fax the offer to ship's inventory. GOOD LUCK!!

Greg, I really hope you get an A or B you really need (and deserve) that Verandah for the Panama Canal Cruise. I bet you are so excited. See how quick the time goes after you get your Docs. It seems like just a few days ago we were doing the Doc Dance with you.:D Keep us posted on what your TA can get done for you.

An SS on the Zaandam? What kind of cabin was it? I've only seen the SS category on Prinsendam and the three new Vista Class ships - the Zuider-, Ooster- and Westerdam.

Please enlighten me. Thank you.

Upgrades to the penthouse are very rare. Keeping the penthouse clean is a big undertaking.

Have your TA ask "Inventory Control" if any special prices is available. It is possible that a good price will be available since you are so close to sailing.

Carol- We are still 65 days from sailing, if an inquiry was to be made, what would be your recommendation as to timing be???? Thanks again for your help!

Greg- Here's hoping you have a fabulous trip! Alaska's weather hit us this last weekend with rain and hail and unseasonally cold weather! (Hail storm the day after a 95F day:eek: ) Remember to take your cool weather gear too!!;)

Thanks, my friends. The problem with booking an upgrade at this time is that the Zaandam has 3 pick-up points on this cruise -- people can join the journey in Vancouver, San Diego, or Acapulco, and HAL is still trying to sell cabins sailing from San Diego and Acapulco. We'll know more about if they're going to offer for-pay upgrades when we get a "little closer." At least, that's the word right now. ;)

Revneal - Post how you fair at the pier on your upgrade. Took the same cruise on the Zaandam in 2002 and had a great time.

Upgrades seem to be few and far between at HAL, reguardless of how many days you have with them. I have 129 days with HAL and have never received an upgrade. Now we have a 21 day cruise on the Statendam in October and Ships Inventory promptly took and guaranteed C booking and assigned me the worst C cabin on the boat. When they leave your booking open, at least you have the possibility of getting an upgrade - but once assigned your stuck with it. Had the TA call HAL and was told that the ship was at capacity. Only problem there are 74 open cabins as of today and they are offering Agent Appreciation bookings ( at very low prices ) and they only do this when they have a lightly booked boat. -- So much to HAL honesty -- I guess they think no one knows how to use a computer.

Revneal, I am so jealous. I love the Zaandam. You will love it, if you dont' already. We were on the Zaandam in Sept '00, and we booked a SS. My husband made an offer when we booked for $600 to upgrade to an S. The suites were quite a bit higher then and the TA told him, "They won't take it. They never do that." Well, guess what? Two weeks before we sailed, they called and took our offer. They needed the SS, so we got an S and it ruined us. We have booked SS since and they are great, but the S is to die for. If I were you, I'd just fax them an offer. You never know. We were told to fax the offer to ship's inventory. GOOD LUCK!!

I'm confused about an "SS" on Zaandam. I thought they were only on the Vista Class ships and Prinsendam?

Upgrades seem to be few and far between at HAL, reguardless of how many days you have with them. I have 129 days with HAL and have never received an upgrade. Now we have a 21 day cruise on the Statendam in October and Ships Inventory promptly took and guaranteed C booking and assigned me the worst C cabin on the boat. When they leave your booking open, at least you have the possibility of getting an upgrade - but once assigned your stuck with it. Had the TA call HAL and was told that the ship was at capacity. Only problem there are 74 open cabins as of today and they are offering Agent Appreciation bookings ( at very low prices ) and they only do this when they have a lightly booked boat. -- So much to HAL honesty -- I guess they think no one knows how to use a computer.

I think if it was me, I would call your TA and give him/her the information you have about the availabilities. If your TA is worth his/her salt, he will get back to HAL and fight with you, reminding them that you have over 100 days on HAL and are dismayed that they apparently misrepresenting the availabilities on your cruise. Good luck....:cool:

To - Localady

Thank you for your comment. I have already had them write to ships inventory but its like faxing it into a big black hole. They do not respond. The criterion for placement and upgrade is based on (1) how much you spent (2) the booking status your TA. (3) when you book and (4) your mariner status. Unfortunetly I believe that #1 is their primary motivation. I've never seen that your loyalty to HAL ever comes into play.--- I love the ships and the crew but the home office for HAL needs to learn a few lessons from Princess - mainly not to be penny wish and pound foolish.

Local Lady and Kruzkeen: Sorry I have not responded to your questions. My friends on HAL for the first time were called a few weeks before the cruise and they were offered a price to upgrade to a suite and they are negotiators. He declined. Lo and behold when they arrived to check in they were given the suite at no charge. I do not think the agent was behind it. In our case our TA is a fighter and the agency does a lot of business with HAL. Good luck for an upgrade.:)

Would you believe that 6 deluxe suites showed up today? Where have they been?
It sure is an interesting question!! It will be interesting to see how discounted those suites are now, as we are past the final payment date. There now appears to be opening in most cabin types, I wonder how that happens?????

Archived