Best Restaurant For Lunch In Costa Maya

Rasta Pirate

Can anyone suggest a good restaurant for lunch in Costa Maya?

I am planning to just relax at the local pool (the one with the fountains) most of the day, and would like to also enjoy a nice Mexican lunch ashore if there are any.

Any suggestions???

RP

At the port of Costa Maya I cannot tell you about. We as local business people are not allowed in this area. Just a 3 or 4 minute taxi ride is the town of Mahahual. Here there is a variety of restaurants. There is Hotel Mahahual, Tapas Bar, Oxtankha, Captain Monos all offering mexican cuisine. There is 40 Cannones and Pez Quadro, Luna de Plata, Tirovino run by europeans offering a variety of food. There is also your standard Hamburger and Hotdog places. Plenty of beach to relax on and plenty of bars.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. Has anyone here ever been to any of the restaurants that "Nitrogenaddict" mentioned?

(Hotel Mahahual, Tapas Bar, Oxtankha, Captain Monos all offering mexican cuisine. There is 40 Cannones and Pez Quadro, Luna de Plata, Tirovino run by europeans offering a variety of food. There is also your standard Hamburger and Hotdog places)

Costa Maya is the cruise line built port facilities where the ships dock. There are stores selling t-shirts, "duty free" shops, a large salt water pool with swim up bar, a restaurant, and no sandy beach. This is what it looks like, except the walkway from where the ships are tied up to the shore is a lot longer. Costa Maya had an artificial, touristy strip mall feel to it, IMHO.

img_1_index.gif

Mahahual is the little true to life Mexican village a bit to the south of the port. We found a wonderful, long, sandy beach to spend the day at.

25mahahual3.jpg26mahahualbeach.jpg27mahahual4.jpg

In March we had food and drink from the restaurant in front of Hotel Mahahual and my son is still talking about the ceviche.

13restaurantmahahaul.jpg

I thought it was pretty good too.

See the rest of my Costa Maya - Mahahual photos Here

Thanks for the photos and explanation of Costa Maya. We're not scheduled to stopthere...but with Grand Cayman closed ...I'm looking into other ports just to have an idea in case our destinations are changed.....:) we're sailing in early November so anything can happen between now and then. Looked at all your photos and loved them.

Has anyone here ever been to any of the restaurants that "Nitrogenaddict" mentioned?

( Tapas Bar .........)

Yes! In Majahaul we had food from Tapas Bar and the other beach front bar next door to it ... and no one was sick later! :p

Rasta Pirate, I understand your concern! We bravely ate because there were quite a few other cruisers who had eaten there before eating and it looked so good. The food was wonderful and we that the most fun!

If you have a minute, scroll to this thread for a review:

Review: Majahaul "The Little Fishing Village" OnOurOwn

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived