Passport Question...

DiamondDave26047

Yep, just got ours done for DH, myself & our 18 month old DD. No, it's not mandatory yet; but, it's definitely coming. Getting our little girl to stand still & have her photo taken was not fun though.

For those who may not know, AAA will take the passport photos for free if you are a Plus member. Every little bit of saved $$ helps :)

Be aware that both parents need to be there when filling out paper work.

This is not the case. Here's the info from the Dept. of State's website:

1. Both parents must appear together and sign or

2. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16, or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent)

Basically #2 means that if only one parent will be appearing, they need to bring a notarized form from the other parent giving permission. The form is available wherever passport applications are. This is what I did last month when applying for DS and DD's passports. This way, I was able to get an appointment during the day and DH didn't have to take off time from work.

Yep, just got ours done for DH, myself & our 18 month old DD. No, it's not mandatory yet; but, it's definitely coming. Getting our little girl to stand still & have her photo taken was not fun though.

For those who may not know, AAA will take the passport photos for free if you are a Plus member. Every little bit of saved $$ helps :)

For real? I didn't know this...my whole family needs to get photos taken, so 4X the picture cost would be a nice savings for us.

..The last time I looked the deadline was "Summer 08" cruises...
Michelle, I know you are a busy mom, but that deadline for cruises changed in June 2007; there no longer is a passport requirement for Caribbean/Bahamas/Canada/Mexico cruises. The land crossing passport/passcard requirement was delayed (in Dec. 2007) to until at least June 2009. But don't feel too badly, lots of people and websites are not up to speed on the changes...and many people still erroneously believe that passports will be required on all cruises 'someday'.;)

For the best information on passport requirements, go directly to the source:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders

Michelle, I know you are a busy mom, but that deadline for cruises changed in June 2007; there no longer is a passport requirement for Caribbean/Bahamas/Canada/Mexico cruises. The land crossing passport/passcard requirement was delayed (in Dec. 2007) to until at least June 2009. But don't feel too badly, lots of people and websites are not up to speed on the changes...and many people still erroneously believe that passports will be required on all cruises 'someday'.;)

For the best information on passport requirements, go directly to the source:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders

Here's the latest info from the US Dept of State's website:

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

JANUARY 31, 2008

U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

LATER

At a later date, to be determined, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.

Up until about a week or two ago, the "Later" section, stated as "early as summer 2008". I'm guessing that by 2009 (once all the kinks are hammered out with the new passport card) passports or the card will be required for ALL land and sea crossings (including cruises to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, etc). Up until January 2007, passports weren't required to fly into these regions and now they are. So why is it so far fetched to believe they'll be required for cruises to these regions too???

We got our DD her first passport back when she was about 4MO. She's now on her third.

It has allowed us to take advantange of low airfares and/or cruise opportunities over the years, and greatly eased our trips in and out of Canada (it was not required but I can tell you that four+ years ago when we went on a AK cruise out of Vancouver with my sister and her family, my family with passports were through the immigration and custom lines on both sides of the trip in less than one-half the time as my non-passport toting relatives -- we of course still had to wait for them!)

Canadian children's passports are only valid for 3 years (as opposed to mine, which is valid for 5 years). If you get a passport for your little one before they are 364 days old, you are eligible to receive a replacement passport with an upgraded photo anytime during the validity of that passport. All you need to do is get the photo taken (and surrender the original passport). That's to ensure that your LO still looks like their passport photo!

Tip for infant's photos: bring a white blanket or towel with you. Put the blanket/towel in their portable car seat, and have the photographer take the photo. You get the required white background, without parents' hands or whatever trying to hold up a wobbly baby in the photo.

Here's the latest info from the US Dept of State's website:

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

JANUARY 31, 2008

U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

LATER

At a later date, to be determined, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.

Up until about a week or two ago, the "Later" section, stated as "early as summer 2008". I'm guessing that by 2009 (once all the kinks are hammered out with the new passport card) passports or the card will be required for ALL land and sea crossings (including cruises to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, etc). Up until January 2007, passports weren't required to fly into these regions and now they are. So why is it so far fetched to believe they'll be required for cruises to these regions too???

Because there is no need to guess; the regulation has already been written and the Full Requirements final rule of the WHTI makes a specific exception for cruises. Thus the change in wording using "most U.S Citizens", noted above. It used to read "all U.S Citizens". You can read the actual regulation here; the cruise exception is on page 36:

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/07-4584_Signed_Rule_061907.pdf

Note that there is a similar exception for crossing land borders; (but only if you are under age 15 on school trip or a Kickapoo tribe member) so doing that will eventually require either the passport card or passport book or Nexus type card; again for most people.

Since this is a cruising bulletin board, the cruising exception is important. You won't find it highlighted on the State Dept site. They just issue the passports, and the DHS is who determines where/when they are required. The State Dept site just gives the general rule and then refers you to the DHS site: "The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website." You have to go to the DHS website to get the full regulation and rules, particularly if you are looking for the exceptions allowed.

Be aware that both parents need to be there when filling out paper work.

Unfortunately, some of the workers at the passport filing locations believe this too.

When I went to get my daughter's passport last week, (she is 14)... the worker INSISTED that I have her "father" present as well. When I showed him her birth certificate, where I am the ONLY parent listed on it, and explained to him that I am a single mother, and there is NO "father".

He continued to insist that a father HAD to be present.

I finally asked him if it matters what his name is since there is not a father listed on her birth certificate. Should I simply go out of the street and choose one to come in?

He told me I would have to go to the courthouse and get a legal document saying that I was the sole custodian... so, I asked him, isn't a birth certificate a LEGAL document?

He then asked me if she was adopted. I said, No, I gave birth to her". To which he replied, and she has no father? To which I replied... "Well, technically... there is a sperm donor out there somewhere... however, I seriously doubt I can get a test tube to stand here and sign this passport appplication". (By this time, I was obviously pissed).

He got very flustered... he had apparently never met a single parent before... at least not one who needed a passport.

I finally got so sick of arguing with him... that I left. But, not before informing him that not ALL single mothers are on welfare... and some can actually afford a vacation, and need a passport for their child. And, I seriously doubt that my daughter will never be permitted to leave the country simply because she has no father. Afterall, this is AMERICA! (I can be a real smart ass sometimes).

Anyway, when I got home, I called the passport office and told them what happened. They asked me where it happened, and said they would follow up on my complaint. And, they gave me the address of the District Clerk's office, who gave me absolutely no problems when I filed.

QuasiTova,

I hope you will be able to eventually laugh at this experience--I so wish I could have been there when you made the test-tube signature remark--and that the ongoing 'education' of some of the Passport Acceptance agents continues. I am very glad to hear that the Passport Agency took your complaint to heart, and was able to direct you to a more knowledgable facility.

When you receive your daughter's passport, you really should go back to the original agent, wave the passport, wink and say "Guess what, the test tube didn't have to sign after all". :p

Archived