Very Sad on Miracle

NoName

Please say a prayer for this family. It doesn't matter if we ever find out the entire story about this tragedy. What we do know is sad enough. Their family is no longer intact. Everyone who hangs out on CC loves vacations and cruising. Every vacation this family ever takes will bring back the pain of this one event that tragically changed their lives.

I totally agree! God bless them!

This is from the US Dept of State Website on Costa Rica.

SAFETY AND SECURITY: There have been no recent acts of terrorism in Costa Rica. Visitors to Costa Rica may experience the effects of civil disturbances such as work stoppages and strikes. Although infrequent, these acts can create inconveniences for visitors. On both the Caribbean and Pacific coasts, currents are swift and dangerous, and there are few lifeguards or signs warning of dangerous beaches. Every year eight to twelve American citizens drown in Costa Rica due to riptides or sudden drop-offs while in shallow water. Extreme caution is advised.

I wondered about that after I sent the post but didn't have time to investigate it. Thanks for the info. In this day and age I wouldn't step foot in another country without a passport. For the past two years I kept hearing snippets of news about everyone requiring a passport to travel to other countries, including on a cruise. Can you imagine how much that would cut down cruise travel!?If that were the case, we would have the boat to ourself I suppose. I have since talked to someone who said they read each cruise ship has four caskets on board. If that's true then I'm guessing they also have 4 fridges for them. Sorry to be morbid.

I don't think it's morbid at all. The fact is, people die on land every day. Cruisers bring their illnesses and physical conditions onboard with them. Life and its fragility doesn't take a break simply because someone is on vacation. The cruise lines know this and are prepared.

In the old days, more cruisers were older retired folks. I cruised once on HAL, which traditionally has catered more to the older people. One of the stewards told me that a month rarely went by without someone passing away on the ship.

This instance is indeed very sad. I nearly drowned once in a rip tide in Cancun, and I've never looked at swimming in the ocean in quite the same way. You really have to respect the powers of nature and the earth, because if you don't you may pay a huge price.

This instance is indeed very sad. I nearly drowned once in a rip tide in Cancun, and I've never looked at swimming in the ocean in quite the same way. You really have to respect the powers of nature and the earth, because if you don't you may pay a huge price.

I agree. I would have drowned in Grand Cayman had it not been for my dh. I am a good swimmer and comfortable around water but things can happen in the blink of an eye and now, I do not go near the ocean if the surf is the least bit rough.

I have located some information on the man that lost his life in this tragedy. I do not want to put it here, but if anyone wants it, please PM me. I have the URL where his obit is and the form where you can leave condolences to the family.

I have located some information on the man that lost his life in this tragedy. I do not want to put it here, but if anyone wants it, please PM me. I have the URL where his obit is and the form where you can leave condolences to the family.

How do I pm you?

I was on the Mircle on 2-3-08 sailing. I was also in Costa Rica and was in line waiting to get back on the ship when someone told me about the drowing. It was a man and his wife and 2 girls(I think 4and 6). He was 35 and his wife is 25 and a nurse. They also had a couple that was traveling with them also. They get a taxi and asked to go the to beach. The rip tide was strong. The flag was flying "no swimming". It was told that some young child was in the water and got taken under and the man went out to save the child and he drowned. They pulled him back up to shore and the wife asked for someone to call 911. 45 minutes later the ambulance came and took him to the hospital that was only 3 blocks away. When the man was laying on the beach, the wife could feel a slight pulse, ( I talked to the couple later that were their frieinds) and wanted to do a treck on him (her being a nurse) to clear his passage way, but had nothing to do it with.

He died in the hospital.

My husband was in the elevator with a lady that had the 2 girls and a Carnival person. Yes the 2 girls were in shock and crying.

The wife needed to go back on ship and pack and Carnival was getting her travel from Belize to go back to Minn. or Wisc. I can not remember with one.

Then when so go home the funeral home there in their town would send for his body.

The wife was saying how people would not believe it. Here they went on a vacation with the girls and she is the on who came back with the girls.

Yes it saddened me also. Life is not fair. That is why every day we need to make sure that our love ones know that we love them.

If it's a public source such as a newspaper article, why not just post the link. Public information means available to everyone. Just a common sense question.

Here is a news article about a gentleman who died last Thursday at a beach near Limon - on kaal dot com website. Very sad story!

Story of Courage (KAAL)--- He gave his life to save a child in need.

While vacationing in Costa Rica, a Rochester man helped a family friend from drowning in the ocean, but was unable to save himself. Now his family is telling his courageous story.

They say it's the way he would've wanted it.

"I know this is the way he would like to go," said girlfriend of 7 years Jenny Friemann.

"He would have given the shirt off his back to anybody," said friend David Tines.

Minnesotan, Marcus Mack was vacationing on a beach in Costa Rica with family and friends when the unexpected happened.

"In a split second it's like the ocean floor just dropped out from under us and we we're just getting pulled out by the waves," said David.

But instead of saving himself… "He grabbed my son and he lunged him forward. He was throwing him towards the shore," said David.

Tines' son made it to the shore with the others, but Marcus wasn't so lucky.

Rescuers and friends tried to save him with CPR.

They took him to the hospital, then came the news no one is ever ready for, he passed away.

With heavy hearts they returned to their cruise ship and had to figure out how to bring their loved one home.

"To be in Costa Rica and to try and get him back to Minnesota has been very difficult," said Jenny Tines.

During this difficult time, friends and family are remembering Marcus and thinking of those he left behind.

"He was the best father, he loved his kids and they loved him and I just worry about all three of the kids," said Friemann.

Marcus will be laid to rest next week and will be remembered as a hero.

"That's how I'll always remember him, as my hero," said David.

A fund for Marcus Mack has been set up at Edward Jones in Rochester.

To help you can call (5-0-7)-2-8-2-2-2-9-2.

If it's a public source such as a newspaper article, why not just post the link. Public information means available to everyone. Just a common sense question.

I was just trying to be respectful. Many don't want their loved ones info splashed across the net.

But, since the latter post has all the information, including the name, here it is.

http://mackenfuneralhome.com/obituaries.asp?ID=93[url=http://mackenfuneralhome.com/obituaries.asp?ID=93://mackenfuneralhome.com/obituaries.asp?ID=93][/url]

I don't think it's morbid at all. The fact is, people die on land every day. Cruisers bring their illnesses and physical conditions onboard with them. Life and its fragility doesn't take a break simply because someone is on vacation. The cruise lines know this and are prepared.

[snip happens]

I agree with you about life not being morbid. I was simply trying not to be gross about it in such a public forum and one with potential to be read by an unlimited number of people. What I really wonder is, does the ship have the capability to embalm a body. If not I would think they would have to keep it cold until those facilities are available. Having been a nurse for a long time I have taken care of people from the cradle to the grave but I know little about what goes on afterward. Especially in situations where transportation arrangements from another country must be made.

I chose to stick with the cradle end of the spectrum (birth to 18 yrs), those age ranges die too but for me in a more controlled setting. I only hope things worked out for the family and friends of this man and they didn't have a ton of expense and red tape to get this unfortunate passenger home.

Passports and visas are not required to sail in the Caribbean, Mexico, and central America, at least for US citizens. Don't know what the requirements are for Canadians. So it very well could be that she needed to have a passport to stay in Costa Rica. If she didn't have one, that could necessitate her needing to leave with the cruise ship.

If these passengers were Canadian they wouldn't have been able to even fly into the US without a passport, let alone get on the ship. We are absolutely unable to enter the US by air without one - no exceptions. Now, most likely Carnival would have retained the passports at embarkation (I'm always so uneasy with this!), so any non-US citizen wouldn't have them to carry ashore. If anything, this might have been a contributing factor. And no, Canadians don't currently need visas for entry to Caribbean, Central American or South American countries.

Happy Sails,

Annette

What I really wonder is, does the ship have the capability to embalm a body. If not I would think they would have to keep it cold until those facilities are available.

I have experience in "death-care" industry. No. Embalming requires equipment, materials and expertise that would not be available on any cruise ship. Proper refrigeration would be sufficient (at least for a while; somewhat longer than you might think) until a ground transfer could be made to a facility that could provide preparation. There are strict regulations pretty much globally regarding the air transfer of human remains (embalming, containers, etc.) and permits have to be obtained by authorized agents (ie: licensed funeral providers). This would most likely be done back in the States if it was only going to be a matter of days, unless the family felt strongly otherwise. The process is called "repatriation", fyi, and it can be a lengthy and stressful time for a family already burdened by grief (I could tell you stories!). Also fyi, today with North American funeral customs shifting so heavily towards cremation many if not most people who die abroad are cremated locally (called "direct disposition") and carried home on the laps or in the luggage of their loved ones. No requirements or regulations exist regarding the transfer of cremains, although the local authorities would still have had to issue the appropriate "certificate of death" or whatever is necessary in their jurisdiction.

Happy Sails,

Annette

I feel sorry that this happened at all but it may have. I saw an elderly man and his wife on one cruise, durring the muster drill she said she wasn't feeling well and wanted to sit down the green shirt in the front said it would be just a few more minutes and to stay there. After 5 mintues they walked over to the railing and this lady just colapesed. Bam right to the deck and the crew did nothing other than get on the radio and call the doctor. I mean come on yes it's a manditory drill but get the people away from her and clear out a lane for the doctor to get there. Fortunatly there was an EMT there (passanger) came out of line got the lady some breathing room and cleared a path for the doctor. He got yelled at for telling the passangers to get to another station and clear the door area.

Of course on another ship, I saw a woman sllip and hurt her knee. Two crewmen where there in no time, they had the area roped off, the doctor was there in like 5 minutes with a nurse and wheel chair. I saw her later, they had taken great care of her and she was really happy. So who know's.

David.

Did anyone else catch this? In the story posted here, the girlfriend of 7 years' name was Jenny Tiemann. In the funeral home obit, the girlfriend was Nicole Arnold. Uh-oh! Yes, this is a sad situation, and I feel horribly for the family who experienced this, but the two different girlfriend names is almost funny. :)

Archived