Table Mates

Hi everyone! I have been reading your posts for months, and finally decided you were all a fairly harmless group, so I thought I would join in.

My past cruise, I was very fortunate and had wonderful table mates. How many of you have had terrible table mates? How receptive is the crew about changing your table?

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.

I have only had 1 bad experience, it was horrible. One of the couples we were seated with had a serious drinking problem, always came to dinner drunk. The wife had an strange habit of picking food off my plate! After the 2nd night we asked to be moved, we were moved to the adjacent table! Very uncomfortable.

I have only had 1 bad experience, it was horrible. One of the couples we were seated with had a serious drinking problem, always came to dinner drunk. The wife had an strange habit of picking food off my plate! After the 2nd night we asked to be moved, we were moved to the adjacent table! Very uncomfortable.

:eek: I could not imagine!:eek:

Having been on over 3 dozen cruise, we have been very fortunate with having great tablemates. The only unusual time was several years ago, we had a gentleman that wore the same type grey t-shirt to dinner every night, even on the formal nights. But they were very nice people and we really enjoyed meeting them.

Having been on over 3 dozen cruise, we have been very fortunate with having great tablemates. The only unusual time was several years ago, we had a gentleman that wore the same type grey t-shirt to dinner every night, even on the formal nights. But they were very nice people and we really enjoyed meeting them.

The only reason I can think of for that happening is that some of his luggage was lost.

So far we have had very good table mates. I always get nervous though wondering if we will have those table mates from hell.

For my wife and I(when we cruise without the kids) "table mates" are a large part of what makes the cruise an adventure. I have posted twice some of the strange people and situations that we have encountered. Besides the cruise know-it-all's that every large table seems to have, we have met some truly wonderful people. I bet we send out at least 30 Christmas cards to people we have been seated with.

For the better part, learn to have fun with these less than desirable table mates. Be nice and use lots of diplomacy.

Remember;

"The essence of diplomacy" ~ is telling one to go to hell in such a way, where they look forward to the trip.

The only reason I can think of for that happening is that some of his luggage was lost.

So far we have had very good table mates. I always get nervous though wondering if we will have those table mates from hell.

We have always had good table mates. The last one we were on, we had a couple that had just married the day the cruise departed. They were always late (at least 30 minutes) to dinner. It seemed to slow our waiter a bit. It wasnt a bad experience. They were very nice. I just wish they could have been a little more on time.

We always had great tablemates.

BTW, I love your name!:D

Thanks! I was actually trying to think of an unusual name and I remembered a funny thread...the rest is history...LOL

I have been fortunate so far. Of course, I can figure out how to have fun anywhere, so I don't sweat it much...but you know the thought of, "Oh crap, what if I end up sitting with the lady who snorts when she laughs, the man with the horrible rug on his head, or the kids who think they are at home and can run around the table between courses..." I think that would be my breaking point, to get all of them at my table. LOL

well this is our first cruise that we will be leaving on in a few days.....YEA

I am actually looking forward to the experience of meeting new people. But to tell ya the truth. I am concerned that I'll be the weird one. I have a very "off" sense of humor and can imagine that I may come off a little disruptive to the norm!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679351

Allow me to direct you to post #12 in my Miracle review. :(

Three wonderful tablemates; one was The Passenger From Hell.

Next time, no matter how nice the other folks might be, I will ask to be moved. I will not spend my wonderful time at dinner with someone like Alice.

She should be banned.

One cruise we were seated with a newlywed couple and their parents. I wish we had asked to be changed, but didn't . Our fault so will know to ask to change if it happens again. Out of 18 cruises that is the only time I did not enjoy our tablemates.

Hi everyone! I have been reading your posts for months, and finally decided you were all a fairly harmless group, so I thought I would join in.

My past cruise, I was very fortunate and had wonderful table mates. How many of you have had terrible table mates? How receptive is the crew about changing your table?

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.

Welcome to the boards!! LOVE your username!!:D :cool: I have had wonderful tablemates. My 17yo daughter and I were on Conquest last July, and we were at a table for 4, and our tablemates were a mom and her 9 year old son, and he was so charming! He knew how to order from a menu, how to order his steak, etc!:D Somewhere, and I don't remember the thread, someone was talking about an awful tablemate. Oh, just remembered on Splendour of the Seas we were at a pretty large table and one of the ladies orders escargot, which I DON'T ever intend to try, and she would NOT stop talking about it with the whole table!!:eek: :D

[quote=sixgun8;13378893

I am actually looking forward to the experience of meeting new people. But to tell ya the truth. I am concerned that I'll be the weird one. I have a very "off" sense of humor and can imagine that I may come off a little disruptive to the norm!!!

Oh REALLY....:D :D :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679351

Allow me to direct you to post #12 in my Miracle review. :(

Three wonderful tablemates; one was The Passenger From Hell.

Next time, no matter how nice the other folks might be, I will ask to be moved. I will not spend my wonderful time at dinner with someone like Alice.

She should be banned.

Ahhhhh, yes, Alice. This was the one I was thinking of when I saw the topic of this thread! I'll tell you one thing, I'M from Texas and proud of it, but being from Texas does NOT mean you have to be "large and loud"!:eek: I would have been totally humiliated being around someone like this Alice!

You know it's bad when the people at the table NEXT to you are the ones who tell her off on the last night! :eek:

In the end, though, it all just adds to the vacation stories we accumulate. I'll remember the wonderful Roll Call people I met and all the fun things we did on that cruise even more because of the sharp contrast to Alice.

~~OMG!! Your screen name *is not* UnderWaterBalcony Snob!!!~~:D :p :cool: (I feel so responsible);)

I have always had good tablemates. Some I have liked more than others. But it is always one of the things I look forward to, meeting my table mates. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Archived