Horseback Riding - Beach

geminigirl

This is our first cruise (Apr 26-May3) to Exotic Eastern Caribbean (Half Moon Cay, Grand Turks, St Thomas, San Juan)

I am wondering where the best horseback riding on the beach is for my daughter & I?

There is a horseback riding on the beach excursion at Half Moon Cay, but when I was there in January, the waves were too big and they could only ride on the beach, but not into the ocean. I've never been to St. Thomas or San Juan, but HMC is gorgeous and that would be my vote! Wherever you decide, it'll be something to remember for sure!

You might want to check the Ports of Call boards for those places.

We (DD & I) have done the Horseback Ride and Swim on our past 3 cruises in Grand Turk.

They actually changed it a little between our 2nd and 3rd time - for the better. The shortened the trail ride portion and we got a little more time in the water.

As you can see, we were really enjoying ourselves. I love this pic, taken by one of the tour guides.

2927079110102755439S425x425Q85.jpg

I did notice that people weren't tipping these guys on our prior excursions. We tipped both the driver (when warranted; one was great and gave lots of island info, one just drove) as well as the guys at the site.

As much as I love HMC and want to just sit on that beautiful beach, I imagine we'll sign up for the horseback excursion there, too. It's just too much fun to pass up.

On our honeymoon cruise in april 06 we did horseback riding in ST. Thomas.......Absolutely wonderful! We booked through NCL but I would think the cruislines use mostly the same organizations. I would do it again in a minute! The ride was great, the guides were wonderful!

One comment about the horseback riding......... please, please, please listen carefully to the guides when they give instructions about riding out of the water..............and be honest about your abilities with the horses. We had a woman who had been on a horse about 3 time in her life and that was when she was young, yet put intermediate on the the form....she totally ignored instructions and was unable to control the horse.......on the way out of the water her horse rolled in the sand making for a very scary and uncomfortable end to to what had been a really great ride.

I have noticed that there is a large age discrepency in the rides on HMC and Grand Turk....the min. age on HMC is 10 and only age 6 on Grand Turk. Does anyone know why...is there a large differnce in the two rides?

We will be doing this with my DS(11) and DD(9) in Grand Turk and want to feel comfortable, especially for my DD(9).

Archived