Another shopping in the Caribbean Question

Mydnite

We are doing a B2B on Mariner, so doing east and west Caribbean. I am looking at the things we can buy that are local to the Islands and good to bring back, not suggestions for Jewelery etc.

So far I know about the rum cakes, which I am told are really worth getting, but what else is worth getting to bring home?

You will be going to Labadee, their private island.

Go to this thread and read it from page 1 if you have the time or just start here on page 3 and see the magnificent work they do. There are also pictures for sale if you go to page 2 and click on the link you will see that too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=703265&page=3

There are many vendors who need our dollars there.:(

A 13 year old young man posted this thread and that is wonderful for someone so young to care so much.

We just got back from western caribbean and this is what we bought in each port:

Labadee, small metal lizzard, soooooo cute, necklaces made from some kind of metal, not silver, looks more like gun metal-does anyone know what that is? A hand carved wooden flute, vanilla and shot glass. Did not haggle, in fact we overpaid with an extra $1 or so on each purchase, purchased each thing separately from different vendors.

Jamaica, more vanilla, small bottle of rum, rum cake, t shirts, pictures of us with dolphins and video of us doing DRF, seed and bead necklaces from a street person, shot glass.

Grand Cayman, Harley t shirt, shot glass, water wallet, nothing else because we were pressed for time.

Cozumel, this is where we went nuts!! We bought tons of jewelry, nothing big ticket, just silver rings and bracelets, necklaces made from sharks teeth, a ton of t shirts, mexican candy and gum, shot glass, small purses, small wood carvings, shells, etc etc etc... we haggled our fannies off and my daughter got a $25 ring for SIX BUCKS!!!! She is only 13 and said she wished you could haggle like that at the mall! LOL!

We thought Cozumel had the most and widest variety of shops with great prices out of all the places we shopped.

Enjoy! Bring lots of money!

If you go to St. Martin, San Juan, St. Thomas or any point in the Dominican Republic, be sure to check out the prices on Larimar -- local gem discovered and name by the discoverer after his daughter. Best prices compared to stateside and better selection. Also, coral (all colors from pink to deep red) is reasonably priced as well.

If you like local art, Dominica as well as San Juan has great wood carvings at good prices. Fabric made in the islands is also a good buy if you like to sew your own clothes. If not, you can buy ready to wear garments with the local prints.

San Juan is also a good place to look for fabrics and trimmings if you sew. Also, great place for shopping for ready made clothing.

Sterling silver is a good buy in any of the islands mentioned above -- whether with or without stones.

MARAPRINCE

We just got back from western caribbean and this is what we bought in each port:

Labadee, small metal lizzard, soooooo cute, necklaces made from some kind of metal, not silver, looks more like gun metal-does anyone know what that is? A hand carved wooden flute, vanilla and shot glass. Did not haggle, in fact we overpaid with an extra $1 or so on each purchase, purchased each thing separately from different vendors.

The necklaces are hematite, I love that stuff.

Harley t-shirt, if my OH sees this we will be looking for the dealership all day to find it. Is it close to the port in Grand Cayman?

If I remember correctly it is right there on the main drag there when you get off the tender.

Archived