A 2.0 concern

WinnieinWA

One of the items on the Freestyle 2.0 upgrade reads:

Balcony and Mini Suites:

A distinctive colored key card for ship wide recognition;

That reeks of class system to me. Will I be treated as a less important passenger because I cruise several times a year on NCL so therefore choose to have an inside cabin as opposed to the once a year or less cruiser who pay a couple hundred more than me to get a balcony?

I do not think the amount of money spent on a cruise should be advertised with a color coded card. I thought we were supposed to be treated equal on our cruise....?:confused:

Any thoughts on this?

Winnie

Balcony and Mini Suites:

That reeks of class system to me. Will I be treated as a less important passenger because I cruise several times a year on NCL so therefore choose to have an inside cabin as opposed to the once a year or less cruiser who pay a couple hundred more than me to get a balcony?

I do not think the amount of money spent on a cruise should be advertised with a color coded card. I thought we were supposed to be treated equal on our cruise....?:confused:

Any thoughts on this?

Winnie

Suites get perks...quite possibly they are going to be offering perks to minis and balconys?

Balcony and Mini Suites:

Any thoughts on this?

Winnie

Also I was thinking....your very lucky to be able to cruise NCL several times a year;) Does that not make you a lattatudes member of a higher status? I'm sure you get perks for that too?

Balcony and Mini Suites:

Any thoughts on this?

Winnie

I agree, Winnie. It's already being done with certain-level suite passengers having special seating areas in the theater and exclusive breakfasts and lunches in Cagney's. [And I say that as someone booked in an AD on Jade's fall trans-Atlantic, so it isn't our of envy or resentment.]

My take is that they can fuss all they want over certain categories inside their staterooms (e.g., food, booze, flowers, fruit, butlers, dancing girls--or boys, whatever) but everyone should be treated the same in public areas. If they want to give certain-level suite passengers free this and free that (e.g., spa treatments, specialty restaurant meals) while others have to pay additional for them, that's OK with me, but it bothers me when some passengers are told "sorry, you can't come in here because your card is the wrong color."

We had a suite on a recent Gem sailing. All the suites (AE and above) had the same color card. All other cards were random colors.

One of the suite perks is dining in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch with the Star Bar being reserved until 4 PM for suite passengers only. In this case, if you didn't have a salmon pink card, you didn't get in. They also had a list of all the passengers names and stateroom numbers to cross check as needed. After that there was no difference in who had what color card when it came to using the Star Bar after 4 PM or eating dinner in Cagney's.

One evening we tried to get into a pay restaurant at the last minute - didn't want to wait for a table in the main dining rooms. I tried showing my card and it didn't mean a thing and I was not able to get in there because of the reservations they were expecting to arrive soon. I was ok with this. This experience tells me the staff didn't really care what color my card was (if they even saw it) and I wasn't going to get any special privileges because of it.

On Celebrity if you are booked in the CC class your key card is gold. I kind of liked it.

I book the type of room I can afford at the time of the booking, I really don;t care what the color of my key is, I am just glad to be on the ship.

On a short cruise we found a Tuesday special where CC class was less or the same as a balcony, so of course we took it. The real perk was the card because the departure was delayed many hours and just flipping that card got us on board right away. Yes, we were to have priority boarding anyway, which didn't matter to us since all lines are long, but it came in handy after standing around for hours.

That is the ONLY time I think the perks other than in cabin ones should be "out there" in public, meaning a boarding priority. I hate a class system, too. CC had the best, most comfy bedding so we went for THAT, not for any perks.

theshireshihtzu:

I think suites should get perks. Mini suites and balconies should get perks. The more you pay the more perks you should get. IMO

greywillow:

I agree with you. I just don't like being singled out with a color coded key card for public knowledge that I am in an inside, mini or suite.. It's nobody's business.

I'm in the OS in August to Alaska. I deserve extra perks because I pay for them dearly. I also am starting to travel solo and usually choose inside when I do because then I can cruise more often. I don't think key cards with different colors should advertise to others what your accomodations are. JMO.

I can't comment on Celebrity as I haven't cruised that line.

Lattitude members get perks too and I don't begrudge any perk they get (I'm one). Once again why should your key card tell everyone what price cabin you are in? Just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm sure it is going to happen and I probably won't even notice it. It was just curious question. Thanks to all of you for your input!

Winnie

The average pax will not know the codes unless they read it on the CC boards. The old saying is "you get what you pay for". Perks usually come with a price. We recently came off the Gem from the Couytyard Villa and it included the concierge service. It was paid for! When ever we got into an elevator, we had to put the key card into the slot to get to the 14th floor and it never failed to raise a comment, in many languages and tones. Some inquiring and some definitely sarcastic. Like< "What is that for? To keep out the Riff Raff" I answered to Keep IN the riff raff!!. You don't want class distinction...I don't want to apoligize for a great upgrade!! I think the attitude problem is two sided. I ate in the garden buffet, I played bingo and one cent slots, I bought a soda card..and when I was looking for a snack after 9PM, I walked up to the Garden Cafe and carried it to my room so that I would not disturb the butler during his off time..I was not treated differently in the general public, except where I paid for it. Perhaps it also needs to be looked at from the both sides?

Definitely true. I've heard some very rude comments while inserting my card in the elevator just trying to get to my stateroom on the 14th deck. Like it or not NCL has a class system like no other line that I know of. Cunard does have areas only for Grill passengers, but not a whole deck, and definitely not an area with a pool only for the top suites. People paying big money for the top suites get special treatment, deal with it. And if you have a problem with it you definitely shouldn't be on NCL. HAL has just a small lounge for its suites. I believe Princess has nothing at all. NCL is unusual and I think color coded cards makes sense since certain areas and amenities (such as special seating at evening shows) are only for the suites. I think you all need to get over it...those who are paying 2x, 3x, or more for a stateroom are subsidizing your cruise.

On our recent cruise on the Gem, it surely seemed like everyone already has different color coded cards. All I know and care about is that I get what "I" paid for, and am not concerned with what others get or how much they paid. I also know and feel that for what I've paid for any of our seven NCL cruises, I've received treatment, services, food and entertainment far above what I feel is good value. I thank NCL and their dedicated staff for that.

If I paid $14,000 for a suite for the week I would wants plenty of perks & you deserve them. Afterall, (IMHO) you paid for it.......

As far as CC on Celebrity, in 2005 which was our last cruise with them as CC AFT. 5 hour wait for the transfer at LAX, rep could care less 6 of us were CC. Then we arrive at San Pedro, huge line to enter terminal & a blue suited rep tells me we are to go to the end of the line, no priority embarkation for CC. Then bar on 10 pressure washes its area at 2AM every night flooding our balcony with smelly stuff & cushiioned chairs & dressed table was a mess! We got no credit for lack of service or breaking my foot with their gangway. For $1000 extra for CC on the PC cruise on Summit, it was not worth it.

I also don't really see the point of having different card key colors for different classes of cabins...you don't need your cards for the priority check-in and debarkation, and most of the other perks are arranged though your butler or concierge, or take place in the cabin itself. Catagory of cabin should not affect the level of service you experience elsewhere on the ship.

I don't think this is a "class" situation -- I think it's a marketing strategy. If I stay in a suite and someone sees me getting perks because of a certain color key card, a casual observer may consider booking a higher category on their next cruise to get the same treatment.

I'm a penthouse junky and, frankly, I enjoy the perks received. On our last NCL cruise, every time we went to Windows for dining, they would take our card, go to the station to check, and then come back to ALWAYS seat us by a window for dining.

NCL wants more people to book balconies, mini-suites, and suites in order to maximize their profit. Can you blame them? If those categories are not sold by the time of sailing, they have to reduce the price and send out the upsell/upgrade fairy and fill them at a reduced rate.

Again, it's not a "class thing." If someone gets more perks, it's only because they paid more to be there -- not because they're better than anybody else. To me, it's just like going to a baseball game and getting the skybox -- you pay for the extras you get but everyone's seeing the same ballgame!

JMHO . . .

Sea Hound:D

I am curious.....what perks would a balcony get?

I can see why suites, penthouses, etc. would get perks....but not sure why balcony guests.

I have stayed in all different level cabins/suites and usually only stay in a balcony cabin now. I thinks its a good compromise between the high and low end cabins. I never expect to get treated any better than someone in an inside cabin.

On our last NCL cruise, every time we went to Windows for dining, they would take our card, go to the station to check, and then come back to ALWAYS seat us by a window for dining.

On our 8 day on the Spirit, we were seated at a window almost every night too (without having to ask) and we had an inside cabin:D The girls at the swipe desk, knew our kids got a kick out of it. A suite does have it's perks, BUT traveling with two adorable children has its perks to;) We were treated like royalty the entire trip!

. . . BUT traveling with two adorable children has its perks to;) We were treated like royalty the entire trip!

GREAT!! I'll be traveling with the cutest 11-year-old in the world this time! Maybe they'll let me drive the ship!;)

NCL took away perks for the mini suites. SO, I do think this is a way to appease the mini passengers. They want people to THINK that they are giving them a special perk. I do not consider a colored card a perk. Or to lose concierge service ( after you booked with that service included) a perk. It is a marketing strategy to sell those minis and balconies..IMHO.

:(

and with 500 points we can get an upgrade but only ig we book BB or lower. We get -0- for a BA. So I ask how folks are upgaraded from an inside to a balcony? They tell me an inside get beter inside, an oceanview gets better oceanview & balcony get better balcony.

So who to believe....

and with 500 points we can get an upgrade but only if we book BB or lower. We get -0- for a BA. So I ask how folks are upgaraded from an inside to a balcony? They tell me an inside gets better inside, an oceanview gets better oceanview & balcony gets better balcony. I said a BA balcony gets a mini suite since it is not a SUITE.

So who to believe....

and with 500 points we can get an upgrade but only if we book BB or lower. We get -0- for a BA. So I ask how folks are upgaraded from an inside to a balcony? They tell me an inside gets better inside, an oceanview gets better oceanview & balcony gets better balcony. I said a BA balcony gets a mini suite since it is not a SUITE.

So who to believe....

I'm not understanding what you're saying, especially about "points." The only "points" that NCL uses, that I am aware of, are points earned through using their NCL MasterCard, which then get converted into certificates to be applied against cruise fare.

I think the rest of your post is about NCL's "free upgrades" promotions? Yes, whenever they run a free upgrade promotion, the upgrades will only be within the class of cabin booked -- inside, oceanview and balcony. These promotions do not apply to any category of suites, though. And no, you can't jump up from a BA to anything else. So, the same old rule of thumb applies -- book the category cabin you're happy with. If you're booking a BA with the expectation of being upgraded to something else, you'll always be disappointed.

Archived