New to HAL

HappyCruiser44

Hi Everyone -

I am considering booking a HAL trip later this year in the Caribbean. Am looking at the new Eurodam ship.

I'd be really grateful if someone could fill me in -

1. Is there a big difference between SA and SS suites? There is a big price difference.

2. How does the Amex Platinum benefit work? I will likely book two SS suites.

3. How do the various drink cards work and how much do they cost?

4. What extras do you pay for? Is there an upcharge for restaurants, etc.

Thanks in advance.

HC44

1. Is there a big difference between SA and SS suites? There is a big price difference.

Here is the cabin description for both:

Deluxe Verandah Suites (SA)

2 lower beds convertible to 1 king-size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath & shower & additional shower stall, large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 2 persons, floor-to-ceiling windows.

510 sq. ft. with verandah

Superior Verandah Suites (SS)

2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath & shower & additional shower stall, large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 1 person, floor-to-ceiling windows.

362-389 sq. ft. with verandah

The SA gets you a King vs. a Queen, the sitting area and veranda will be quite a bit larger. Hope this helps a bit.

4. What extras do you pay for? Is there an upcharge for restaurants, etc.

There will be an upcharge for the 3 specialty restaurants - Tamarind (pan-asian), Canalatto (Italian), Pinnacle Grill (steakhouse).

There is a fee to use the thallasotherapy pool and thermal suites at the spa.

I'm sure other more experienced cruisers will be able to fill in the gaps. Welcome.

2. Besides the space difference noted above, the SA's have the full set of "suite perks" including access to the Neptune Lounge and Concierge service, priority boarding/tendering/dinner seating etc, while the SS have only a "telephone concierge service"

3. The consensus on the wine punch-cards ($41.40 for 10 glasses, $77.63 for 20 glasses) is that they are a good deal if you are happy with these choices of "house wines": Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, White Zinfandel, and one "sparkling". If you are a wine connoisseur you probably would not be happy with it.

The soda punch card ($20.70 for 20 glasses, 10 cans) is not generally thought to be a good deal by most people. It saves only about 13 cents per can, and you are liable to get a flat half-can left open too long, or a glass full of mostly ice.

The coffee card (10 drinks, $29.90) is a good deal if you drink mainly specialty drinks rather than simple espresso or coffee.

The Signature Cocktail card (10 drinks, $64.69) is thought to be a good deal by most only if you get the more expensive drink-of-the-day type cocktails rather than simple, cheaper choices.

Archived