Need Advice On RCCL to Alaska

cruzingduo

We were looking at Alasaka Next year also but opted for Hawaii instead but while doing some of the research like you are doing found that the end of August is much cheaper. Seems to be 2 ships that we considered, Vision of the Seas that does one ways and Radiance of the Seas that does round trips from Vancouver.

Radiance is a newer ship and is about 90,000 tons while Vision is about 70,000 tons, also there are alot less balconies on Vision which might drive up the price for a balcony on that ship.

Do book early though as cabins seem to go fast especially if you are looking at the month of July. July will sell faster even though its priced higher because kids are out of school still.

Also another thing that changed our minds at this time, was we wanted to do a Land tour either Pre or Post cruise but the prices were really high for that and it was only a 4 or 5 day land tour tacked on, found we could do a 15 day Hawaii cruise round trip from Los Angeles for less money, so at this time we elected to do Hawaii,. maybe in 2006 we will get to Alaska

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Jimbo:)

We just got back from an Alaskan Cruise on the Serenade of the Seas. She is only one year old and a beautiful ship. I have posted a very detailed review on the Alaska Port of Call Board (in three parts) plus in a separate thread, my photos. We had an aft balcony and it was wonderful. Never cold as we did not get any wind back there. You'll find lots of good information on the Alaska Port of Call board.

We went on the Serenade to Alaska last month. We have been on the Vision to Mexico.

Personally, I prefer the Vision to the Radiance class. The Vision is more open with huge windows everywhere to enjoy the views. The dining room on Vision is also waaaaaaay better than that of the Serenade.

On the Vision, the Windjammer is up front where you can sit and have breakfast or lunch and enjoy great views. On the Serenade and Radiance, the Windjammer is in the back with very limited views and the very back is outside. Outside is great in Southern climates but not neccessarily in rainy Alaska.

The Vision flows much better and the centrum s much larger. Overall the ship feels more comfortable to me than the Serenade.

BUT !!!! The cabins on the Serenade were much better than on the Vision.

ALSO !!!! I have to say the engineers that designed the hull on the Serenade are genious. It is a very clean and silent running ship.

If I were to go to Alaska again I would take the Northbound one way and take that Train for the extra 3 or 4 days at the end.

I would go in June and see the midnight sun.

We have done Alaska three times. In June 2002 on the Radiance, in September 2000 on the NCL Sky (now the POA:eek: ) and just last August on the Serenade.

Alaska is an expensive cruise. Just bite the bullet and do it. It is worth every penny. June is a good time as the sun never sets and ice chokes the bays. August was great, lots of wildlife and warm temps. September was awsome..we got right up to the glacier and it was still nice weather.

If I had to choose, I think it would be early season on a Radiance class ship. I also am looking at NCL as they have added 10/11 night r/t Seattle cruises for 2005.

Hope this helps.

The only cruises we've taken so far have been Alaska. Both on Vision class ships so I can't compare the Vision to the two radiance class ships. I can say that all the balcony cabins on Vision are either above or below decks that will have activity on them. In our case we were above a lounge and the bass from the band reverberated through our cabin. On Radiance class ships it's possible to get a cabin sandwiched between two floors of other cabins.

If I had my choice, I'd take the RT out of Vancouver again. That is unless I had enough $$ to take the cruise tour that goes into the interior of Alaska. If I were taking the one way trip I'd start north and go south. Going south you'll get to sail through Mystic Fjords, which is a beutiful area. The northbound cruise does not do this unless they've changed it.

Another plus of the RT cruise is airfare is cheaper. You have your choice of flying into Vancouver or Seattle. Next time we'll fly into Seattle, spend a night or two there and take the Amtrack to Vanvouver to set sail. Vanvouver was nice but it just didn't do much for either of us. Next time we'll explore Seattle just because it will be different for us.

As far as July or August, both of our sailings have been in July and things were great.

We did Alaska Sept 1, '02 on the Vision. At that time it was doing rt Vancouver, now it does one way passages. If we did Alaska again I would do either Radiance or Serenade, only because the airfare is cheaper as rt than one way.

I would goa again late Aug or Sept. still warm, glacier would still be calving.

I cannot wait to do Alaska again, DH wants to do Hawaii first...he won't get any arguments from me:D

An important question.... Will you want to do a land tour of Alaska or can you live with the inside passage? If you want a look at the "rest" of Alaska, you will have no choice but to do the Vision. If you only want to do the inside passage, you have two choices. We have done all three. I must say that with 15 cruises with RCCL and 14 years of going to Alaska (7 cruises), the Serenade this summer was a cut above the Radiance. Many subtle things that made for a slightly nicer ship on the round trip.

Make sure you ask on the Alaska boards as well. Lots of great advice there.

Make sure you get a balcony. This is the one trip you can not leave home without it!

Hi Jimbo! If you are going to Hawaii, I will take you off the email list for our group. Have a great time. :)

Cruzingduo - We have done Alaska on the Radiance and loved it. I found the Radiance class to have more windows than the Vision and was disappointed when we took the Vision to Mexico this past April. I will agree that I liked the Windjammer being upfront, but we saw tons of things from the back also. There were whales and dolphins and eagles too! We are taking the Serenade this coming August with the CC Group Cruise 08/07/05, R/T from Vancouver. We found Vancouver had so much to do that we are planning to do a pre-stay with some whale watching around Victoria. The Serenade has so much more to offer than the Vision. There's the Thermal Suite and Rasul Treatment in the Spa, the movie theater, alternative dining, mini-golf, basketball, etc. I thing I think I liked the most is that on the Radiance Class ships you can go sit on the bow and check everything out, on the Vision you can't. If you have any questions about the CC Group Cruise you can use the links in my signature.

Misty

Thank you so much for your comments. Being on the east coast is the biggest drawback. We hate to fly, but this is a cruise we really want to do.

I didn't realize there was an Alaska board.

Any other comments feel free..

Is Jimbo's wife name Patty?

We did the Serenade in mid August, weather was hit & miss, salmon were running and we saw many whales, few eagles and nary a moose or bear. I love the Sernade and also like the Windjammer position with the aft outdoor dining area.

I will return again next time earlier, probably June to see the long days and more snow on the mountains. I have posted a review on our trip, I loved the cabin & our balcony...only drawback was the small bathroom.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=72104&page=1&pp=25

I agree, bite the bullet, pay the extra and do Alaska!

Cruzinduo,

My husband and I went on a cruise the last week of August several years ago and had a wonderful time. The weather was perfect(which can be a problem in Alaska- fog). We flew to Anchorage and did southbound. Spent two days in Anchorage and did tours on our own. Visited College Fiord in a small catamaran- spectacular. It was all around less crowded and less buggy. But I imagine Alaska any time of year is beautiful. Hope this helps.

Lisa in Houston

Archived