Statendam rooms

KL&KR

I have read leoandhugh's comments on the lack of room between bed and wall in veranda cabins on several HAL ships. But can anyone tell me if there is a roomy enough accessible cabin (not a suite) on the Statendam?My partner uses a Pride Maxima to get around, which is a big scooter.

Thanks!

Kristen

Kristen, On SClass ships there are 2 ouside cabins on Lower Promenade deck which are plenty big enough for a scooter. Leo uses a Pride Go-Go with no problem. We usually try to book a cabin with a verandah, but on SClass there is only one ADA suite and that one is modified (not fully accessible because it has a lip up into the bathroom and out on to the verandah. The disadvantage we have found with the cabins I mentioned on lower promenade deck is that though they are close to a door going out on deck, that is a set of double doors and rather steep ramps - the doors do not have electric eyes and it is difficult for someone on a scooter to open a door outward and still get up the ramp. They may have modified this by now; it has been a few years since we were on Statendam - you might try calling the Accessibility Dept in Seattle and ask them. Hugh:)

Kristen, On SClass ships there are 2 ouside cabins on Lower Promenade deck which are plenty big enough for a scooter. Leo uses a Pride Go-Go with no problem. We usually try to book a cabin with a verandah, but on SClass there is only one ADA suite and that one is modified (not fully accessible because it has a lip up into the bathroom and out on to the verandah. The disadvantage we have found with the cabins I mentioned on lower promenade deck is that though they are close to a door going out on deck, that is a set of double doors and rather steep ramps - the doors do not have electric eyes and it is difficult for someone on a scooter to open a door outward and still get up the ramp. They may have modified this by now; it has been a few years since we were on Statendam - you might try calling the Accessibility Dept in Seattle and ask them. Hugh:)

We have had good success with cabin 704 or 709 on both the Ryndam and the Statendam. Both are at the lowest deck of the ship, with no balcony, but have plenty of room for wheelchair or scooter, even with a roll-away bed for me in addition to my parents' bed(s). Although you are at the end of the hallway, since HAL does not use service carts, so it is easy to get down the hallway, and you are close to the self-service laundry. There are portholes instead of windows and you are just above the water line, but we have enjoyed these cabins several times.

• 2 months later...

Archived