Mr. Barbados: HOTEL HELP!!

malony33

Hi, Mr. B.,

What would we all do without you? Here goes:

My husband and I need a hotel for 1 night pre-cruise; I've read, researched, asked questions, and now I'm more uncertain than ever!

It seems that many of the 3 and 4 star hotels have fallen into disrepair, some much more than others, according to what I've learned as I've searched. The gorgeous resorts are starting anywhere from $500 - $800/nt. + taxes...just a tad more than we want to spend.

A TA got me a great quote from The Crane...but it's being renovated!!!

We want pretty, clean, good pool, nice beach, well maintained, and we are not looking for a miraculous bargain. Neither are we "cheap"; however, at this point, the $$ don't seem an accurate indicator of quality and service(another common complaint - the service...people calling front desks for DAYS to get dirty rooms cleaned, broken toilets fixed).

We cannot board 'til 3:00 PM the next day, so we'd like a nice room and property for breakfast, a swim, and cleaning up before we board.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Barbara :)

Hi, Mr. B.,

What would we all do without you? Here goes:

My husband and I need a hotel for 1 night pre-cruise; I've read, researched, asked questions, and now I'm more uncertain than ever!

It seems that many of the 3 and 4 star hotels have fallen into disrepair, some much more than others, according to what I've learned as I've searched. The gorgeous resorts are starting anywhere from $500 - $800/nt. + taxes...just a tad more than we want to spend.

A TA got me a great quote from The Crane...but it's being renovated!!!

We want pretty, clean, good pool, nice beach, well maintained, and we are not looking for a miraculous bargain. Neither are we "cheap"; however, at this point, the $$ don't seem an accurate indicator of quality and service(another common complaint - the service...people calling front desks for DAYS to get dirty rooms cleaned, broken toilets fixed).

We cannot board 'til 3:00 PM the next day, so we'd like a nice room and property for breakfast, a swim, and cleaning up before we board.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Barbara :)

They are high, arn't they?

You didn't tell me when you are going and which date you'll need the room. Big difference as you probably already know after Christmas.

Now, as for The Crane being renovated....Is your TA sure about this? I thought the renovatings were complete and they were just adding two new restaurants which are somewhat removed from the rooms.

Now, without knowing when you'll be there, I checked The Fairmont Glitter Bay in St. James (just above Holetown) for the rates prior to 1/1 and their deluxe room was US$259. Their one bedroom suite was US$279 (plus VAT).

Over the years we've had six overflow-guests stay there. Five couples loved it and one thought the room was too small, otherwise it was OK.

No experience with Glitter Bay in the last 18 months, however.

Find their website HERE.

Check it out and let me know (I'd e-mail The Crane to confirm the renovation, your rate will be the best there). :)

-----------------------------------------

I just remembered another hotel down in Christchurch that we stayed at many years ago before we had our house. So I did a web-check and it's still there and seems to be the 3rd most popular hotel on the island out of 168 (Don't know if I really believe that!)

Anyway, It's inexpensive and has a great beach....maybe 20 minutes from the dock.

Check it out HERE. And scroll down to read the many very good reviews.

It's the Little Arches Hotel.

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

How nice of you all to help us! It looks like we're staying at the Bougainvillea Beach Resort; Tripadvisor.com's past guests' comments almost to a one gave it a big thumbs-up. It isn't a true all-inclusive, but guests may select from among some meal plan options, which we did (for convenience - our flt. arrives at 3:00PM and we just want to get to the hotel and STAY there - and to keep a lid on the $$$).

Hope to meet some of you on the Pride Dec. 12!

FOR MR. BARBADOS!!! Do you really look like Sean Connery, or are you just "playing with our emotions"?! You are sooo gracious, never failing to answer a call. Many thanks.

Barbara

“FOR MR. BARBADOS!!! Do you really look like Sean Connery, or are you just "playing with our emotions"?! You are sooo gracious, never failing to answer a call. Many thanks.”

Thanks, Barbara for the kind words!

Do I look like (Thomas) Sean Connery?

Some say that I do.

Sean is a distant relative. He was born in Fountainbridge (near Edinburgh), and I in Glasgow. There is a family resemblance, however Sean is the best looking.

I really try to accommodate all the requests about Barbados, however my time is becoming limited of late. Even though the North American businesses have been sold, we’ve taken on interests outside of the Caribbean and it is keeping us occupied even in our off time, so I apologize for being untimely in my replies.

I extend thanks to you and all the others that enjoy the islands as we do and are willing to expend their time to prepare themselves.

As you know, it is those who do their homework that benefit the most from their adventure!

My best to all! :)

Archived