Connection in Copenhagen

RachieLnnn

DH and I are considering booking a transatlantic trip that leaves from Barcelona this November.

We found airfare on priceline for $460 one-way from Chicago to Barcelona. There is a connection in Copenhagen - but we only have 1 hour 10 minutes! Is that do-able?

Additionally, I'm a little worried about all the fine print such as, what if the first leg of our trip is delayed. The flight is on Scandanavian Airlines and the funny thing is, the great price we've found is only on Priceline, and not SAS's website - the price for the flight there is a LOT more!

Usually, I prefer to book directly with an airline in case of delays or cancellations. Am I being silly to be worried about priceline? I've used them before with good results, but for hotel stays.

Thanks for any advice, or ideas on inexpensive airfare to Spain that time of year! :)

Copenhagen is an easy airport for connections. If your plane lads on time, you will not have a problem. To get an idea of how likely that will be, check out http://www.flightstats.com or one of the other websites which provide historic flight and route on-time records. (Flght SKK 944 was on-time 78% in the most recent 3-month period and only slightly line 6% of the time. In the latter case, you would ahve made your connection .. not sure about the luggage, though).

Is Priceline selling you a consolidator ticket? If so, you have very little protection in case something goes wrong. If you are flying in a couple of days early, the cost savings might be worth the worry and potential hassle to you... that is an individual decision.

Paul

Thanks Paul, for the information. I do think the ticket would be non-transferable & refundable, etc. I looked at the fine print, and if we were to make any changes it would cost $200.

We would be leaving Chicago 2 days before and arriving in Europe one day before the cruise.

Am I right that we need only go through passport control and not customs in Copenhagen?

Again, thank you for your advice.

You are correct. Since both Denmark and Spain are within the "Schengen" area you will go through passport control when you first enter the area. Unlike entering the U.S. you will not be bothered with claiming and rechecking your baggage. In fact, you won't see your checked baggage until you arrive in Barcelona. In theory, customs inspection is possible when you claim your luggage. In theory, the Mets could win the World Series, too.

There might be a security check in Copenhagen.

Paul

Archived