Penthouse 7119 on Quest (5 Threads Merged)

katiebeth

Dear Always Cruising 2,

Very interesting, I have it in writing from a representative at Azmara, see below:

Subject: Re: OBC and Balcony Divider

Date: Feb 21, 2008 12:29 PM

Hi Nancy

Yes the balconies will open . You have to have your cabin steward open it with a special key and he can keep it open. Yes the ship board credits are showing on the reservation now.

If I can help in other way just email me

Best Regards

Barbara

PS I also sent out the catalogue

I specifically questioned them about this because I too doubted that that would be the case. (all dividers I have seen have been bolted down).

I have found in the past that not all of the representatives are informed about the specifics of the onboard experience.

Nancy

Quote: "The reason we ended up with the Penthouse is because it offers an additional 1/2 bath and with the four of us that is a great benefit. In addition, my parents are next door in the Sunset Veranda and the balcony divider is retractable between the two cabins."

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but A; the royal AND penthouse both have 1 1/2 baths, and B; there is a steel bulkhead that separates the PS from the SV on all decks, not a retractable screen.

Dear Always Cruising 2,

Very interesting, I have it in writing from a representative at Azmara, see below:

Subject: Re: OBC and Balcony Divider

Date: Feb 21, 2008 12:29 PM

Hi Nancy

Yes the balconies will open . You have to have your cabin steward open it with a special key and he can keep it open. Yes the ship board credits are showing on the reservation now.

If I can help in other way just email me

Best Regards

Barbara

PS I also sent out the catalogue

I specifically questioned them about this because I too doubted that that would be the case. (all dividers I have seen have been bolted down).

I have found in the past that not all of the representatives are informed about the specifics of the onboard experience.

Nancy

Nancy,

I agree with Always Cruising 2 the divider is a bulkhead, not removable. I base this on photos I have seen.

It does not surprise me the reps at Azamara (RCCL res center) don't know what they're talking about. they get paid 9-10 bucks an hour and can care less about minute details such as this. to make it even worse, they know NOTHING about their own ships. I have sailed in two different penthouses on Quest and ALL PS's have a steel bulkhead separating it from the SV. the bulkhead is in place for structural support. there's a retractable partition between the two SV's but not the PS.

I hate to sound so negative about RCCL's customer service, but let's face, they SUCK! Good thing the onboard experience is sublime!

Dear Always Cruising 2,

Do you know if the Royal Suites (which are forward) would have a balcony divider that could open up? Now that I know that the Royal Suites have the extra 1/2 this may be an option. They have Sunset Verandas forward as well. Opening up the two cabins is not critical, but would be a nice feature.

I was told by the future cruise director onboard the Constellation last summer that only the Penthouse's on Quest had the extra 1/2 bath. Truthfully, I took him as his word assuming he would obviously know what he was talking about.

Have you seen or been in the Royal Suites and what do you think about being forward? We have always love the view from the aft and thought we may be subject to more motion in the front. I also believe that the balconies in the Royal Suites are significantly smaller.

Susiesan had asked why I had not looked into Oceania and has a matter of fact, I have. We are limited to June in terms of when we can go and the itinerary as I recall was a Venice to Barcelona one. We have done a very similar itinerary on the Millennium and liked that Quest sailed from Athens and ended in Rome. We are also visit many new ports for us, including a good number in Greece and one in Sicily. The few ports that we be repeats for us, are our favorites Sorrento, Santorini, and Florence.

I believe Susiean asked how the rates compared on Oceania and from what I recall their OV (largest suite) priced at a few thousand dollars less per person than Azamara. (not sure about the 3rd and 4th guest .... this is where we get a pretty good break on Azamara.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Dear Always Cruising 2,

Thanks for the recommendation. I contacted Azamara and while the Royal Suite is available (6002) neither of the large ocean view cabins next door are available.

I have a feeling those cabins book quickly due to their large size. It was definitely a good recommendation.

I am sure that we will be just fine where we are (no complaints). I am glad, however, that you informed me that the balcony divider does not open up. Now I won't be in for a surprise when we board. It is rather surprising that my booking agent would put this in writing. However, as I stated, I was a little skeptical to begin with, based on past cruising experience. Every veranda cabin we have had has had the divider between cabins bolted down.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

This a the perfect argument for using a travel agent. they don't cost you a cent and they're knowledge is well worth the commission they earn. in booking with Azamara direct, you signed over the trust and guidance required to make smart decisions, to a res agent how's never even sailed (nor seen) the very ship she's sells! I've always found that so ironic. If I were you, find a good "cruise only" travel agent and sign over the booking to them. let a PRO do the work for you. It's not too late. Just think back at the HOURS you spent on the phone trying to arrange your air. Your TA could have done that! Don't know about you, but I do not have the time, nor the patience to sit on hold like that.

Did you call your "booking agent" at Azamara and tell her she is wrong about the bulkhead? I think its important for them to know they're giving out wrong information.

Dear Kapt,

Thanks so much for posting the photo!!! You absolutely did the attachment correctly. When my husband gets home later this evening (I am rather technologically challenged) I going to have him copy the imagine so we can send it to the Azamara booking agent that told me that our butler has a "special" key to unlock the divider .......that must be "one special key", LOL!!!

It really is surprising that an agent would put such a thing in writing without being 100% sure.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I am a very "visual" person and you photo leaves no doubt that there is NO way that it can be opened up.

Were you in PH 7019? If so , how did you enjoy it, and which sailing were you on?

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings,

I feel has if I have been monopolizing these boards over the last day or so.

We are regular Celebrity cruisers and are new to Azamara and these boards.

I have not been very active on the boards over the past few months and have missed out on a lot of the threads regarding Azamara.

I do understand, however, that Celebrity has had a "rough go" so to speak in launching Azamara.

I recently booked the June 21st itinerary on the Quest a Greek Isles and Turkey cruise. The itinerary looks terrific and we are eager to try a smaller ship with a little more "upscale" experience. We have only sailed on M class ships of Celebrity.

However, since booking a few days ago, a Penthouse Suite for my family (husband and two teenage children) and a Sunset Veranda (7021) for my parents. I understand that Azamara is not really geared toward children and that is fine. Our children are very well traveled and enjoy exploring the ports with us. The last two cruises we were on (Med. and Baltics) they did not even go to the kids programs. They enjoy exploring during the day, eating dinner with us and then hanging out in the cabin in the evening.

Anyway, I have read very mixed reviews about the Penthouse Suites on Quest (particularly 7019) Some of the comments concern the noise, vibration, diesel and food smells, not being able to see the water due to the metal railing, and black soot/particles on the balcony and chairs. Given all of this, I am wondering if we are better off moving to a Royal Suite forward and having my parents next door in a Sunset Veranda forward?

Initially, I booked the Penthouse Aft because we like the aft view and the extra 1/2 bath. I was also concerned about the movement in a forward cabin on a smaller ship. HOWEVER, if the aft cabins have as many issues as I have read about, we may be better off giving up the 1/2 bath, larger balcony, and aft view. I would rather put up with a little motion, than noise, vibrations, smells, soot, and not being able to see the water.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are looking forward to the cruise, but have become somewhat concerned based on some postings on these boards.

Thank you and Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Hello Nancy--we are booked in Cabin 7021 for a June 1 sailing, and just to let you know it is not a sunset veranda stateroom. It is a regular veranda. You might just have a typo in your posting (cabin 7121 is the sunset veranda stateroom), but if not, I did want to let you know.

Alan

Hi Nancy,

I have just returned from the March 1 to 15th cruise on Quest and we were in Sunset Veranda 7121.

I think I can answer some of your questions:) . There were a few nights that we were aware of a vibration and minor motion but we didn't think it was too bad and actually made us sleep better:eek:. There were no food smells or diesal smells for us. I think we found soot on our balcony twice but it was easily cleaned up. Our Butler and cabin attendant stayed on top of that. When we sat on our balcony we could see the water.

None of these issues came close to being any real concern. We had a great cruise and would go back tomorrow if we could:D

Lucy

Dear Alan,

Yes, you are right it was a typo and I meant to reference 7121 and 7119. Hope you have a wonderful time on your June 1st sailing!! June will be here before you know it.

Lucy ---Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I really appreciate it. I am so glad you had a wonderful cruise. We are really getting excited about our June 21st cruise on the Quest. The reviews keep getting better and better. So glad to know you enjoyed your Sunset Veranda cabin. Also, glad to know that the soot wasn't really a problem.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Archived