Just back from Explorer 12 day!

I think you will find many smokers on the balconies.Rememember they are addicted and can't help themselvesThey spend a fortune on butts and extra for a balcony so they can smoke them. So much for the smell of sea air for the non smokers. You might as well get a window instead and take the money you save from not smoking and not having a balcony and go on another cruise. Clean lungs and fresh air are a gift.

:confused: HELP!!! Does anyone remember or have compass on the order of the dressing nights? I believe the first and last night are casual. When were the formal nights? Trying to plan what to wear on what day. Also, was the first and last full day at sea cold? Can't wait leaving 3/16!

:confused: HELP!!! Does anyone remember or have compass on the order of the dressing nights? I believe the first and last night are casual. When were the formal nights? Trying to plan what to wear on what day. Also, was the first and last full day at sea cold? Can't wait leaving 3/16!

Here's how it went on our cruise (never know if/when it might be different):

Day 1 - Casual

Day 2 - Formal

Day 3 - Casual

Day 4 - Casual

Day 5 - Smart Casual

Day 6 - Formal

Day 7 - Casual

Day 8 - Smart Casual

Day 9 - Casual

Day 10 - Casual

Day 11 - Formal

Day 12 - Casual

oh... and jeans with a collared shirt for casual nights ok?

Yes. There's no mention of jeans not being appropriate in the dining room on casual nights... just not with a tank top. ;)

We are so looking forward to sitting out on our balcony so I do hope we do not have an issue with our neighbors and smoking. Both my cabin mate and I are non smokers -- I am a breast cancer survivor and cannot be exposed to smoke -- and we do not want to have to stay inside our cabin due to smokers on either side of us. The outside cabins were either located too far up front or on deck 2 which was too low. We are mid ship with a balcony and picked the location for that reason.

Just another thing to worry about now!

:( :eek:

I had a real problem with smokers on a recent NCL Pearl cruise. We always seem to have a cigar smoker either beneath us or next door. Last week on Explorer, DH let our neighbor below know his cigar smoke was blowing up into our cabin on the back on the ship. We called the purser's desk to resolve the issue because cigar smoking is limited to certain areas and certain times on RCCL.

On one cruise we had neighbors smoking pot in their cabin. They would open the door to clear the air from their cabin and it would blow over into our balcony and cabin. The last night of the cruise the smoke got into our ventilation system and made me ill. Sometimes smokers just don't understand how difficult it is for people with health problems to be around smoke and that it can affect our breathing.

We are so looking forward to sitting out on our balcony so I do hope we do not have an issue with our neighbors and smoking. Both my cabin mate and I are non smokers -- I am a breast cancer survivor and cannot be exposed to smoke -- and we do not want to have to stay inside our cabin due to smokers on either side of us. The outside cabins were either located too far up front or on deck 2 which was too low. We are mid ship with a balcony and picked the location for that reason.

Just another thing to worry about now!

:( :eek:

I had a real problem with smokers on a recent NCL Pearl cruise. We always seem to have a cigar smoker either beneath us or next door. Last week on Explorer, DH let our neighbor below know his cigar smoke was blowing up into our cabin on the back on the ship. We called the purser's desk to resolve the issue because cigar smoking is limited to certain areas and certain times on RCCL.

On one cruise we had neighbors smoking pot in their cabin. They would open the door to clear the air from their cabin and it would blow over into our balcony and cabin. The last night of the cruise the smoke got into our ventilation system and made me ill. Sometimes smokers just don't understand how difficult it is for people with health problems to be around smoke and that it can affect our breathing.

We sailed away Feb 3 with temps in the 50's. First and last sea days were in the upper 60's.

I do wish the solarium pool was enclosed on Explorer like the Radiance class ships mainly because of the wind. Hot tubs are nice and warm if you don't mind the wind. I really do enjoy the retractable roof on Jewel of the Seas. It was so hot in San Juan last time we sailed on Jewel that they closed the roof and put on the airconditioning. I love that retractable roof.

I think you will find many smokers on the balconies.Rememember they are addicted and can't help themselvesThey spend a fortune on butts and extra for a balcony so they can smoke them. So much for the smell of sea air for the non smokers. You might as well get a window instead and take the money you save from not smoking and not having a balcony and go on another cruise. Clean lungs and fresh air are a gift.

We we thinking just what you said last week on Explorer when the guy in the cabin beneath ours was smoking a cigar on the back of the ship where the cabins are spread out in tiers. His smoke kept blowing up into my cabin so I had to keep my door closed. I did call the Purser's Desk to complain because cigar smoking is restricted to times and locations. I may book a Promenade cabin next cruise because last time I had a junior suite on Jewel of the Seas I had a smoker below us who kept us off our balcony most of the cruise.

The Promenade Cafe is open 24 hours for coffee, tea, and light snacks. I know, as I was there one night at 3:00 AM on the Explorer last week.

Yes, it is open but there is nothing sugar-free there. I'm a diabetic too and was really surprised that they didn't have sugar-free options at all at the Promenade Cafe.

Also just back from the 12 day and must say we loved it. We were on deck 10 cabin 1640 a junior suite. It was a great room and for 2 of us a junior suite was perfect.

You DO get priority boarding with a junior suite and believe me you need it a Bayonne, and if you want robes have a word with your stateroom attendant and he will get them for you.

Smoking.

We had no problems with smoke on our balcony from other cabins but must agree with all the other postings that say the promenade was too smoky. Thank god RCI saw this and will stop this from the next cruise.

All the ports were good except Dominica which we did not like. A very unclean island and after a short walk went back to the ship. The wacky river tubing excursion was good in the afternoon though.

In Antigua go to Darkwood Beach, it is fantastic. Frigate bay beach on ST Kitts is also worth a visit. Meagans bay on St .Thomas was beautiful although a bit crowded.

The ship itself is fantastic, you can never be bored on it as there is so much to do. I couldnt believe that I was ice skating while sailing across to the caribbean, unreal!

The ice shows on board are fantastic, go and see them and you will be amazed.

Portofino's was great and highly recommended.

All in all we had a great time, although come on people and make an effort on Formal night. There were probably only 50% at most in true formal wear. I know 'its my cruise and I will dress how I like' etc etc but if you dont like formal night go to the windjammer!

Any questions I will be glad to answer.

Debtel

Hurray for RCI and the smoking rule! ;) Sorry to you smokers but I have to say, I am really looking forward to my 16th March 12 night all the more now! It will be great to know my kids can sit on the promenade in a smoke free environment.. I used to smoke until I had my first child, now aged 13... I stopped because of him. I couldnt bear him smelling smoke on me but also knew it was bad for me.

I live in England and since July 2007, smoking in ALL bars, restaurants, public spaces(including smoking in a work vehicle) is banned and there are VERY hefty consequences to rule breaking. My hair now smells like shampoo when I return from a night out and not an ashtray;) . AS you know, the weather in UK is not very good in the winter but I see many smokers congregating outside bars and restaurants to smoke. It doesnt seem to deter them from going out drinking and eating. I am sure it will work out fine and all the bars a previous poster listed which are smoking, seem adequate. Hollyanna

Yes, it is open but there is nothing sugar-free there. I'm a diabetic too and was really surprised that they didn't have sugar-free options at all at the Promenade Cafe.

I have food allergies to cane sugar, cane juice, sucralose, yeast and yeast extract. I did contact RCCL about 3 months prior to when we are leaving (we leave this Sunday, 2/24, for 12-nights) and they assured me I would have food options on the ship. Now I am worried. :(

We are staying in the Royal Family Suite and just received an email today from our Concierge which said to email him with any requests or services we may need prior to our trip. I think I may email him to check with the food situation! :confused:

Thanks for the info!

Jen

I have food allergies to cane sugar, cane juice, sucralose, yeast and yeast extract. I did contact RCCL about 3 months prior to when we are leaving (we leave this Sunday, 2/24, for 12-nights) and they assured me I would have food options on the ship. Now I am worried. :(

We are staying in the Royal Family Suite and just received an email today from our Concierge which said to email him with any requests or services we may need prior to our trip. I think I may email him to check with the food situation! :confused:

Thanks for the info!

Jen

You can also speak with the hotel director on board. When we sailed the Brilliance in December, the lady in the stateroom next to us was diabetic. She was appalled at the choices in the afternoon in the Windjammer, as there was nothing suitable for her needs. She spoke to the hotel director, and every day thereafter, there were enough choices in the late afternoon to accommodate her needs. RC is very very good about food allergies (I have one with mushrooms), and they will do their very best to accommodate you.

cruiseaholics,

We booked 2 cruises with RCCI this January. So I guess we will not find any cookbooks in our cabin. Not a problem.

The tote bags will definitely come in handy though.

If we have someone that is smoking a cigar, you can bet someone will receive a phone call!

We didn't like the location of the outside cabins...that is why we ended up booking a balcony cabin on both sailings.

As long as they have fruit my cabin mate will be alright as far as a late night snack. She usually has a cup of tea before turning in as well.

Our last sailing we didn't take a balcony on the Constellation since we went to Canada and NE in late Oct./early Nov. It was too cold to be out on a balcony. The trip before, only one of the 3 of us got to spend time on our balcony. So we are really looking forward this time around since the weather will be just the right temperature for us to be out there!

MARAPRINCE

• 3 weeks later...

Did any of you recent returners notice a difference in the attire on casual and smart casual evenings? In know several of the recent 5 and 9 night Compasses that were posted didn't even have smart casual nights.

Thanks.

Did any of you recent returners notice a difference in the attire on casual and smart casual evenings? In know several of the recent 5 and 9 night Compasses that were posted didn't even have smart casual nights.

Thanks.

On our 9 nighter 2/15 there was really no difference - there was no real smart casual.

We were on the Jan. 13 Explorer and the Promenade was very smoky. You could see this huge cloud hanging above. Later in the evening it was very heavy. We added it to our comment card. So, we are happy they made that area non smoking.

Now we hope the Navigator does the same for our next B2B in April.

Archived