Seattle Hotel near Amtrak

WiscCruiser

In October we're cruising out of Vancouver, but plan on flying to Seattle, staying overnight, and catching the early Amtrak train to Vancouver in the morning.

Because of the early morning train departure, I'm thinking it might be wise to find hotel accommodations near the Amtrak station.

Any hotel suggestions?

I am not personally familiar with the HI in Renton (I do know the ones at SEA-Tac and the one downtown, but not that one). I haven't heard anything bad about it, so I guess that is a good thing.

I just don't get to Renton that often, because there really isn't all that much there that is non-residential other than a few office parks and other commerical sites.

Thanks. I have to decide whether to be kind to my son. With Amtrak leaving so early in the morning and the Princess shuttle at 11AM, he would favor the shuttle to sleep later. But I don't think the shuttle would be as scenic as Amtrak and it would cost about twice as much for me to take the shuttle. I am big on scenic. Do you think the Amtrak seats would be comfortable enough for him to sleep in?

Actually the Princess shuttle to Vancouver is $45 per person and leaves SEATAC from door 00 at 11AM. The reason it makes it more costly for me is if we take Amtrak, we will have to purchase breakfast elsewhere because the free hotel breakfast will not open til way after we are gone. I know this sounds crazy, but when my son is home from college, my grocery bill triples. He eats a lot. With the free breakfast, we can eat early and then he can grab a bite on the way to get the bus.Per my travel agent, Princess rep is unsure if a food stop is made on the shuttle.

Hi....hope that you don't mind me jumping in here...... Don't know about the Princess shuttle, but whenever we have taken the Amtrak bus from Seattle to Vancouver, the bus must stop at the border. You then have to get off the bus, along with all your carry on. The bus driver has to completely unload all the baggage and put it on the side of the bus. You have to go into the immigration building and each person must pass thru an immigration officer. While you are doing that, other immigration people are making a pass thru the bus looking for left behind packages. The driver then has to reload all the baggage before you can be on your way. It is a hassle. Don't know if they would be so stringent for a Princess shuttle bus.

Now, we have never taken the Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver, but have taken it from Vancouver to Seattle and that trip was a joy. Immigration got on the train while en route and passed thru each car checking passports. No hassles and no waste of time. And the seats are very comfortable and sleepable.

Andi

What Andi said, with the addition of the fact that you have to carry/drag all of your luggage from coach-side into Immigration and then back to the bus. It takes forever, and even longer now than it has in the past with the construction and other delays.

It is the same for Princess buses, because I do not believe that US Direct applies from Seattle, only in YVR itself.

Karen...Thank you so much for your help. I have a hold now on the Amtrak Cascades train to get to Vancouver. Didn't realize that I need both my and my son's passport and driver's license information to confirm. Please forgive me. I think I got confused about the hotel. What is your opinion of the Holiday Inn in Kent(it's has free shuttle from the airport and free shuttle within a certain range that will include the Amtrak station. Again thanks!!!

Kent is about 25 miles south of downtown and the Amtrak station. I don't really know much about the Holiday Inn down there, because it is so far away but, again, I have not heard anything bad about it, which leads me to believe that it would be perfectly OK for you. It is a fair ways south of the airport, as well, and slightly east.

The Sounder train runs from Kent to King Street Station, but only on weekdays, beginning at 5:32 am.

If they actually have a shuttle that will take you to King Street Station rather than the Kent station (and I would double check on that were it me, because they would be very unusual if they do), it is a pretty good deal.

Archived