Is Bermuda a duty-free port?

flashdog_1

I'm sorry if it is a well known fact, well known to everyone but me, that is. I have seen no mention of it in info I've retrieved from the internet.

I have heard that prices in Bermuda are high, so I don't know if that indicates it is not a duty-free port. You know, no duty on imported things you can live without but may want to buy, usually luxuries like cameras, perfumes, watches, booze, cigarettes etc.

Please fill me in. Thanks

I'm sorry if it is a well known fact, well known to everyone but me, that is. I have seen no mention of it in info I've retrieved from the internet.

I have heard that prices in Bermuda are high, so I don't know if that indicates it is not a duty-free port. You know, no duty on imported things you can live without but may want to buy, usually luxuries like cameras, perfumes, watches, booze, cigarettes etc.

Please fill me in. Thanks

Yes they have duty free(but only some stores) but you can do better on the internet for the some goods even with duty,,,You may do better on the ship for alcohol and perfume and cigarette's. You will do better on cameras, watches etc on the internet. The best ports(IMO) for duty free are ST Thomas and perhaps St Martin.....

Thank you. I used to live in St Thomas when a bottle of Mt. Gay rum was $1.50 so I am well aware of duty-free prices!

I guess I wondered if Bermuda's affiliation with the Crown meant that imported English things could be had at a discount.

You are right. Probably can do better on the internet. But then it would not be a souvenir from Bermuda, would it? :)

Thank you. I used to live in St Thomas when a bottle of Mt. Gay rum was $1.50 so I am well aware of duty-free prices!

I guess I wondered if Bermuda's affiliation with the Crown meant that imported English things could be had at a discount.

You are right. Probably can do better on the internet. But then it would not be a souvenir from Bermuda, would it? :)

Trimminghams on Front Street in Hamilton used to have people come in from Wedgwood and Balik and sign the porcelain , and they had special sales....unfortunately it closed. You can get Bermuda things but if you looking for luxury goods like electronics etc and you need service in the US, buy them with a US guarantee...I don't see why buying those in Bermuda makes it a souvenir...The way most stuff gets to Bermuda is through NY. The ships that bring goods there leave from the East Coast so shipping in fact costs more than bringing it into the US...

On Front Street in Hamilton you'll find the Irish Linen Shop. There are also a number of shops that sell English/Scottish woolens, i.e. sweaters, kilts, mohair scarves and throws, ties, etc. Lovely items but not cheap.

The Perfumery sells scents made from flowers grown in Bermuda. One very nice item is called the Perfume Library containing 9 generous vials of scents, 7 for women, 2 for men all in a tin case.

There are a number of water colorists who do beautifuls scenes of Bermuda and the prints are quite reasonable. You can also find jewelry made out of sea glass and items made out of Bermuda cedar. Glass blown items are made at the glass blowing factory at the Dockyard and there's also a locally made pottery place there.

Archived