Best Class of Ships--Cruisegirl1

theoaks39

I see you have cruised on many RCCL ships. We have only cruised on the Vision Class and Radiance Class. We are going on the EOS in May and very apprehensive about the size. I would really appreciate your opinion. Our favorite ships are the Grandeur and the Radiance.

The Radiance class of ships is my favorite because of the open feeling and views of the ocean. That said, we enjoy the Voyager class too with the Royal Promenade, ice show and additional amenities. If I had to choose one it would be the Radiance class, but a week on a cruise beats a week at work no matter what ship you're on!

My question would be why are you apprehensive about the size of Explorer? If it is because you have mobility challenges, my advsie for you would be to book a cabin near the center of the ship which reduces the lengthy walks caused by being at the far ends of the ship. Or try to book a cabin near an elevator.

As much as I love Radiance Class ships, when we were on Jewel we were all the way forward in a cabin that faced directly front. That was a very long walk, even on a Radiance Class ship which are smaller than Explorer Class ships.

Yet when were on Freedom and Liberty (RCI's largest ships), we were fortunate to have cabins much more centrally located, near elevators which made for much shorter walks than we had on the smaller Radiance Class Jewel.

We haven't sailed Explorer but we have sailed on Mariner, her sister ship. It was a fun ship with many amenities. The ice skating show must not be missed. I hope you have a great cruise.

We've been on every class of ship (from Empress to Liberty) and enjoyed them all. Each have their own special qualities. While the larger ships have many more activities, larger staterooms, etc., we find the smaller ships can offer more personalized service. The larger ships can also feel very crowded at times. It was nearly impossible finding a place to sit in the windjammer at lunch time on the Navigator transatlantic in April, 2007.

I see you have cruised on many RCCL ships. We have only cruised on the Vision Class and Radiance Class. We are going on the EOS in May and very apprehensive about the size. I would really appreciate your opinion. Our favorite ships are the Grandeur and the Radiance.

Thanks for your help. Mobility is not a problem. We really liked the Radiance Class and the smaller ship feeling. Over 3.000 passangers seems a little overwhelming. We chose the Explorer because I wanted to cruise on my birthday and the Explorer had the best itinerary for that time. I am sure we will have a great time. This is our 13th cruise (all with RCCL) and we have never had a bad cruise.

Another vote for Radiance class where, with all that glass, you seldom lose sight of the fact that you are at sea. Only drawback with them is the lack of a rear bank of elevators; everybody aft has to come to the midships elevators at the atrium which get very crowded. We usually book a cabin near the forward elevators.

Despite all the bells and whistles of the newer, huge ships we do not like the inward feel of the ships; the promenade is almost like a shopping mall, and I don't want to go on a cruise to do that.:)

Radiance Class by far - and I see I have company!

All the public space and open feeling from all the glass is wonderful. I like the Vision class next with the Voyager class as my least favorite. I've never sailed the freedom class.

To me, it is a shame RCCL keps building bigger.

Enjoy

M

Radiance Class by far - and I see I have company!

All the public space and open feeling from all the glass is wonderful. I like the Vision class next with the Voyager class as my least favorite. I've never sailed the freedom class.

To me, it is a shame RCCL keps building bigger.

Enjoy

M

From what I've been told after the Genesis Class ships, Royal will be building more ships the size of the Radiance Class.

The Radiance class is without a doubt the most beautiful ships that I have cruised but I like the Voyager and Freedom class more.

There is another cruise board that I visit and on this board is a Aker shipyard worker. He states that strong rumor is RCI is getting ready to announce a fourth Freedom class ship after Genesis II. I don't see RCI going back to smaller ships. Even Celebrity's new ships are now going to be over 120,000 tons. Bigger is better for the cruise lines when it comes to the bottom line.

One more vote for the Radiance class ships. With that said though, my husband and I always pick the ship based on itinerary as we have yet to have a bad cruise!

I am actually having the opposite apprehension as we are sailing Vision of the Seas next month. I hope it doesn't feel too small!

Archived