Rainforest for PR as a stop, not a departure

EricaLovesCats

I was only seeing threads for people who were going to the rainforest on their non-ship days (i.e. those who are flying into PR the day before their cruise ship leaves). I haven't found any info for those who have PR has a stop. We will be there 9am to 5pm (or something like that) and would like to do a rainforest tour. Can we take a cab there, hike around/take photos, and get a cab back when we want? How much would that cab ride cost?

Carnival was only offering an excursion to the rain forest for people who were flying out the same day.

If you are in port from 9-5 (or so) you can totally do the rainforest.

Taxi's are not allowed to get up to the rainforest- they would have to drop you off too low to really see anything good.

You would be best to either get a private tour or better yet- rent a car. If you rent a car, it costs about $40/day and then you can see as much of the rainforest you want and then go to Luquillo beach or somewhere else before heading home. You will be heading away from traffic both ways, so that is good.

Try Charlie's Car rental- they will pick you up from the cruise dock and then shuttle you back at the end.

Check my blog- I have lots of info on the rainforest and stuff to do afterwards- beach or Pinones.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com

Coquishideaway,

Your blog is GREAT. I also read about Rio Camuy Cave Park, now I am torn between that and the rain forest!!!

But here is the thing...if we are driving in unfamiliar areas my hubby gets all panicky and rude, and well, rather unpleasent to be around! lol

So I am a little hesitant to rent a car...but $40 can't really be beat.....hmmmm I just don't know.

The Caves are very pretty, but they limit the number of people that can go in per day (weekends and summer time are busy). And they are open only on Wed -Sun. The one problem is you don't know if they have filled the day until you get there- it is quite a disappointment to drive all that way and not be able to get in. There was an accident in Jan, so the tour is now different then when I went in Nov- they are not showing the one cave, but have another one (so I hear).

Driving is not that bad, but there are occasions where it can be an experience with some of the creative driving moves! As long as you get a good map and directions, getting around and to the rain forest or the Caves is easy.

If driving really is a problem, there are private tour guides that go there- search the forum for tours and you will get a few names.

We did the ship excursion of El Yunque a couple weeks ago. We were in port from 2-8, which was not near enough time to see as much as I'd like of the rainforest. We did very much enjoy our tour though, and Hector, our guide was very informative. We saw a waterfall, the "fountain of youth" and took a short walk through the forest. A guide is extremely helpful unless you know the history, sights, and sounds. Otherwise, you miss so much. Pictures are in the album below labeled Jewel.

We are arriving in PR in the morning and have to be back at the ship by 2:30pm. Anyone know of a tour that we could do to the rainforest (with kids) that will get us back to the ship in time?

Thanks!

Hi LefNJ

We're cruising with you......we are renting cars for our group and doing the drive to the Rainforest and back. The car rental place I think opens at 8am so it will be an early morning for the kids, but we can always take a nap when we get back to the ship :p Come join us and we'll caravan!

Hi LefNJ

We're cruising with you......we are renting cars for our group and doing the drive to the Rainforest and back. The car rental place I think opens at 8am so it will be an early morning for the kids, but we can always take a nap when we get back to the ship :p Come join us and we'll caravan!

Thanks for the offer. I will talk to my DH about it. How old are your kids? I had considered taking the tour through Carnival but then read on the description that they shut the a/c for 45 minutes while driving up the mountain. I was not concerned about the a/c being off, but started to think that maybe this was a reaaaaaaly long drive. My kids are 4 & 7 and I was concerned about a long drive with no bathrooms :)

It also seems that if you do not do the excursion thru Carnival you may not get off the boat all that early. Do you know if that is true? Also, I have a car seat issue -- I wasn't planning on bringing car seats with me, if we rent a car I have to re-think that.

Eve

Thanks for the offer. I will talk to my DH about it. How old are your kids? I had considered taking the tour through Carnival but then read on the description that they shut the a/c for 45 minutes while driving up the mountain. I was not concerned about the a/c being off, but started to think that maybe this was a reaaaaaaly long drive. My kids are 4 & 7 and I was concerned about a long drive with no bathrooms :)

It also seems that if you do not do the excursion thru Carnival you may not get off the boat all that early. Do you know if that is true? Also, I have a car seat issue -- I wasn't planning on bringing car seats with me, if we rent a car I have to re-think that.

Eve

Hi Eve,

I don't think getting off the boat early should be a problem in San Juan. We are docked and there is no customs to go through (unlike in St. Thomas where everyone has to clear customs before getting off!) We should just be able to walk off whenever we want ;)

We're a group of 9 with 5 teenage boys/men :eek: We are renting 2 cars to drive out to the rainforest and will probably do the hike to the waterfall. I think we'll stop somewhere to pick up some food for a picnic lunch as has been suggested on the board. At least by renting a car we have control over when/where and how long we stop. We rented a small SUV from Charlie's Car for $42. I think they offer car seats, but I'm not sure how much they charge.

Getting excited about our trip!

Leta

Hi Eve,

I don't think getting off the boat early should be a problem in San Juan. We are docked and there is no customs to go through (unlike in St. Thomas where everyone has to clear customs before getting off!) We should just be able to walk off whenever we want ;)

We're a group of 9 with 5 teenage boys/men :eek: We are renting 2 cars to drive out to the rainforest and will probably do the hike to the waterfall. I think we'll stop somewhere to pick up some food for a picnic lunch as has been suggested on the board. At least by renting a car we have control over when/where and how long we stop. We rented a small SUV from Charlie's Car for $42. I think they offer car seats, but I'm not sure how much they charge.

Getting excited about our trip!

Leta

Leta,

Thanks for the info. Guess you don't have the same issues we do (car seats & frequent bathroom stops :) ) I will check out Charlie's Car rental. Thanks for the info. If we do rent a car, it would be fun to caravan -- thanks for the offer.

I need to do some research as to how long the drive is. I was in PR once many years ago (prekids) and didn't make it to the rainforest. It is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. If I am not doing it thru a tour, I need to do some research into whether the terrain is too rugged for my little ones. Have you ever been there before?

I am very excited about the cruise. I have cruised b/f but my kids haven't. I am also looking forward to the warm weather. We are in NJ and it is cold here!!

Eve

Archived