Pictures of the Queen Mary's Deteriorating Lifeboats

Paul NH

I just returned from the west coast and made another visit to the original Queen Mary. The following images are of her lifeboats. It would be nice if the current management could get these historic boats properly covered up to slow their deterioration.

QM1.jpg

qm2.jpg

QM3.jpg

QM4.jpg

QM5.jpg

I know that the Queen Mary is getting a new infusion of financial support, but does anyone know of any near-term plans to better protect these lifeboats from the elements?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I know her lifeboats are in need of much repair. They aren't Mary's original lifeboats though. Cunard keep hers and replaced them after they sold her to Long Beach. The new lease holders are planning on doing a lot for her including painting her funnels :D I hope they get the Cunard Red correct. The improvements have already begun with her staterooms. Most of what she needs is superficial, structurally she is very sound. She's a strong Scottish-English gal ;)

Betsy

I know her lifeboats are in need of much repair. They aren't Mary's original lifeboats though. Cunard keep hers and replaced them after they sold her to Long Beach.
Hi Betsy,

Please take a look at this website that talks in detail about the history of the lifeboats.

http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/lifeboats.html

One quote from the page: "1968 to present – In the Long Beach conversion the extra boat (# 25) and davit added during the war was removed. (Traces of its davits are still seen in the plating behind position # 23.) The lifeboats were all removed from the ship and repainted at this time"

The implication from that web page was that they were reinstalled after they had been painted. It was my understanding that these lifeboats (the ones currently on the ship - or at least the majority of them) were the same ones that were in use prior to Cunard's retirement of the Queen Mary. Would be interested in hearing more details on this topic.

Paul

Paul,

That is a GREAT web-site! I was told when I worked onboard Mary that none were original but perhaps I was told incorrectly. I will ask a friend of mine with the RMS Queen Mary Foundation she will know for sure.

Thanks for posting the link.

Betsy

As far as I know, some are original and some are not. I know for a fact that boat #6 is original. I know that some of the boats are original from other Cunard ships.

The infusion of money is debatable. The new lease owner wants to build a football stadium on the land and try to lure USC. The other Red flag for me is that they kept the previous lease owner on as a consultant. This is the man who is responsible for the shipwreck. The situation is not pleasing as the city of Long Beach is currently trying to sue the consultant.

Tim

The infusion of money is debatable. The new lease owner wants to build a football stadium on the land and try to lure USC. The other Red flag for me is that they kept the previous lease owner on as a consultant. This is the man who is responsible for the shipwreck. The situation is not pleasing as the city of Long Beach is currently trying to sue the consultant.
I am sympathetic to money being tight and the ongoing maintenance cost of running this ship. But it seems to me that purchasing some canvass and covering the boats (and hosing the seagull droppings off the canvass once a week) would be a fairly small investment considering the overall budget. It would make a big difference in appearance.

Although many part of the ship still seem to be in fine shape, the outer hull was really showing signs of maintenance neglect, particularly in the painted area.

Here is just one picture; the superstructure did not look this bad all around, but this is alongside the aft entry way for visitors - it does not create a very good impression. From a marketing standpoint, this is pretty bad.

QM7.jpg

I did see a guy painting a bulkhead on the forward end of the boat deck, so maybe that is the beginning of a much-needed overhaul.

Paul

I was aboard the ship this weekend and I also noticed the poor condition of the life boats. I looked up at the underside of one and could see blue sky.

I also looked down on them from an upper deck and was grateful I never had to sit in one in the middle of the ocean.

I was aboard the ship this weekend and I also noticed the poor condition of the life boats. I looked up at the underside of one and could see blue sky.

I also looked down on them from an upper deck and thought about the survivors of the Titanic floating around in open boats like those.

I also looked down on them from an upper deck and thought about the survivors of the Titanic floating around in open boats like those.
It *is* interesting. A small number of survivors had actually managed to get into the boats and hide away under some of the seats. When you look at the insides of the QM's lifeboats - even though the lifeboat configuration is different - you can see how, in the shadows there were lots of nooks and crannies that a person could crawl into undetected.

Paul

I also looked down on them from an upper deck and thought about the survivors of the Titanic floating around in open boats like those

Or the survivors of the S.S. City of Cairo, some whom drifted for several weeks...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_City_of_Cairo

"Goodnight, Sorry for Sinking You" is the title of a compelling book on this terrible story, taken from the words of the Uboat captain to the captain of the liner.

All because of a cat, believe it or not...:eek:

Or the survivors of the S.S. City of Cairo, some whom drifted for several weeks...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_City_of_Cairo

"Goodnight, Sorry for Sinking You" is the title of a compelling book on this terrible story, taken from the words of the Uboat captain to the captain of the liner.

All because of a cat, believe it or not...:eek:

Kyle--thanks for this link. I am something of a book nut and also a ship nut so now after reading the wikipedia account, I have another ship's book to read. It is amazing how much information can be garnered from these boards.

Thanks,

Bettie

Kyle--thanks for this link. I am something of a book nut and also a ship nut so now after reading the wikipedia account, I have another ship's book to read. It is amazing how much information can be garnered from these boards.

Thanks,

Bettie

Guess I won't be reading it~ Only one to be found online is $213.00 for used copy! :(

On our recent visit to the Queen Mary, we were told that there was only one functional lifeboat left, but if the ship sinks, she has only a couple of feet to go down!

The following week, we boarded the Oosterdam in San Diego. During the lifeboat drill, I was tempted to tell the officer that I was very impressed by their safety precautions as the last ship I was on had no lifeboat drill & only one seaworthy lifeboat. I do not however find that all the Dutch officers share my sense of humour so I left it alone!

Graham.

On our recent visit to the Queen Mary, we were told that there was only one functional lifeboat left, but if the ship sinks, she has only a couple of feet to go down!

The following week, we boarded the Oosterdam in San Diego. During the lifeboat drill,

I was tempted to tell the officer that I was very impressed by their safety precautions as the last ship I was on had no lifeboat drill & only one seaworthy lifeboat. I do not however find that all the Dutch officers share my sense of humour so I left it alone!

Graham.

Oh Graham you should have :p ;)

The following week, we boarded the Oosterdam in San Diego. During the lifeboat drill, I was tempted to tell the officer that I was very impressed by their safety precautions as the last ship I was on had no lifeboat drill & only one seaworthy lifeboat. I do not however find that all the Dutch officers share my sense of humour so I left it alone!

Graham.

Darn. The looks on their faces would have been worth something. But it's good you didn't interrupt the lifeboat drill in spite of having very good reason to. ;)

Graham.

Darn. The looks on their faces would have been worth something. But it's good you didn't interrupt the lifeboat drill in spite of having very good reason to. ;)

Archived