Panama canal

ddunn

Hello...

We are going on the Miracle in April, to Panama, Belize and Costa Rica...Leaving April 7th, for 8 days.

This will be our second time on the Miracle...Love that ship!!!!

Has anyone done this itinery, and if so, can u tell me if u did the tour in Panama, of the canal?

How much is it, and how was it?

Any help would be appreciated....

Denise

Hello...

We are going on the Miracle in April, to Panama, Belize and Costa Rica...Leaving April 7th, for 8 days.

This will be our second time on the Miracle...Love that ship!!!!

Has anyone done this itinery, and if so, can u tell me if u did the tour in Panama, of the canal?

How much is it, and how was it?

Any help would be appreciated....

Denise

We did the 8 day cruise on the Liberty last year in July - Costa Maya, Costa Rica and Panama.

We did the Panama Canal excursion. It was very long and very hot. They crowded 17 bus loads of people onto 2 ferry boats. The indoor area of the boat wasn't air conditioned because the air broke down. I thought there was going to be a riot on the boat. The excursion was supposed to be 7 hours and it ended up being closer to 11 hours. I wouldn't do the excursion again.

wow, thanks for your quick and honest answer.

I am afraid it is going to be hot too. I am not that interested in it, but my husband has been asking about it......I would go if he really insisted. I thought if i got some information, it would help make up my mind.

I think i would like ot go see the indian village.....but..

Or maybe just shop!!! LOL.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Denise

We also did this itinerary - but on the Liberty.

We chose to book the "Two Oceans By Railroad" through Carnival - DH really wanted to see the canal. It was a great choice....the train was beautiful, it was air conditioned and a very comfortable way to enjoy the day. We saw both oceans and a Miaflores locks - in operation and the Bridge of the Americas.

It was a little pricey at 150.00/pp - but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

wow, thanks!! that might be interesting......on a train...

Yes, sounds a little pricy...and if i told my hubby the price, he would never do it....LOL....BUT....i can always book it myself, and tell him afterwards....ha.

I don't know when we would ever get down there again........so i might look into that! How long was the tour??????

Did u eat on the train, or was there a restaurant stop..????

Thanks!!!!

Denise

wow, thanks!! that might be interesting......on a train...

Yes, sounds a little pricy...and if i told my hubby the price, he would never do it....LOL....BUT....i can always book it myself, and tell him afterwards....ha.

I don't know when we would ever get down there again........so i might look into that! How long was the tour??????

Did u eat on the train, or was there a restaurant stop..????

Thanks!!!!

Denise

First - we did this on the Legend, NOT the Liberty. Oops...Sorry - wrong ship!!

I do not remember exactly how long it was - I'm guessing it was about 6 hours total from the time we left the ship until we returned. On the way back on the train they did serve a "box lunch" - cheese, crackers, fruit, candy bar - with a soft drink that was included in the price of the excursion. It was ok - not like a deli sandwich on the ship ;) - but it served the purpose.

We decided on the train because it was air conditioned and you saw more than just the canal - you get to see quite a bit of the local culture as you go across to the canal. You stop at the canal and your tickets to go up and watch the ships pass through is also included in what you pay for the excursion.

We do not typically book excursions through Carnival. But it being Panama - we really wanted to see the canal - and decided that booking through Carnival was the safest way, even if it cost a little more!

You have been very helpful, thanks!

Normally I dont book thru Carnival either, but for this, i think it would be better...

I sure am going to look into it.......sounds like the thing to do.....Esp if it is air conditioned! I cant stand the heat too much...

This will be our 8th Carnival cruise......we are soooo addicted!!!

Thank you again for your help.

Denise

We did the tour of the Canal on the ferry, and it was amazing. Yes, it can be hot if you're not in the air conditioned cabin, and yes, it was about an eight hour tour, but considering you're visiting one of the wonders of the world, it was fascinating to be there up close and personal.

There is nothing to compare to actually going into the locks and experiencing the raising or lowering of the water level and watching the actual workings. A box lunch is provided along with all the drinks you want. I stayed in the A/C most of the time and was quite comfortable.

My philosophy was, it may be a once in a lifetime trip, so if you have any interest in seeing history in action, it was a "must see" for us. Hope this helps!:D

U are so right, it is a once in a lifetime thing.......

Do you remember how much it was for the ferry?????

I do think my husband would just love it...........and would like to book something to surprise him........or he will never do it!!!!

The ferry or the train...hmmm so confused!!!! LOL

thanks!!!

Denise

We have done the Canal on both Carnival and RCCL... the last time on the Liberty we did the Panama City Tour and I was very impressed! We really enjoyed seeing "old Panama City" and had a wonderful lunch downtown. On the way back we stopped at the locks and watched from the observation deck. You really do see a lot from the observation deck (the time before we stayed on the ship...totally different perspective). Actually, the observation deck stop was a great way to see the canal...you don't really want to spend all day doing that anyway, it is kind of like the Grand Canyon...you go to the edge, say "Wow", then you are ready to see something else.

I will say one thing, it was a long drive but our small van was comfortable. The traffic can be horrible going to Panama City...don't do it on your own.

Denise we're on the same cruise and probably only going to do Indian village and part of the canal. But it sounds great on the train, I might convince DW to do that and forego the Indian villiage, I can see half naked women anywhere :D .

Besides might save money on shopping if shes on a train the whole day.

To all the posters thanks for the insight.

U are so right, it is a once in a lifetime thing.......

Do you remember how much it was for the ferry?????

I do think my husband would just love it...........and would like to book something to surprise him........or he will never do it!!!!

The ferry or the train...hmmm so confused!!!! LOL

thanks!!!

Denise

I don't recall the exact amount, but I do know it was over $100 per person. I just checked the Carnival site, and it shows the ferry as $$$$ while the railroad trip is $$$, so that is less expensive. We were just in Panama again in January, I wanted to do the train trip, DH wanted to go fishing in Gatun Lake. We went fishing....but it was fun anyhow.:rolleyes: Awwww, compromise!

And Birdie, isn't the traffic in Colon something else? It gives a whole new meaning to the term "gridlock"!

We did this same itinery on the Legend in March/07. We did the Portobelo & Gatun Locks tour. Its about 5 1/2 hours long and we rode an air conditioned bus thru Colon and onto the locks. We also saw the Canal at the observation deck which was enough for us. You get a get view on how the locks work and also get to see the ships pass right in front of you. You are there approx. 1 hour and then head onto Portobelo where you get to walk thru the small town and visit the fortress. If your DH is into any history this is interesting for them. I can't remember how much it cost, but you can login into Carvinal excursions and check it out.

Archived