internet prices on Statendam?

caserko

Same on all ships:

$3.95 to start an account

$0.75 per minute OR

$55 for 100 minutes OR

$100 for 250 minutes

Sign up on the first day and you get 10 bonus minutes on the 100 min plan, 20 on the 250 plan. Expect speeds no better than 55 Kpbs whether you're using the ship's computers or wireless from your laptop. :)

How does their wireless work (I'll be on the Veendam). Will I need to be in or near the internet cafe place? Is there a special sign-on to the ship's service that I'd have to do, and then start up aol on my laptop? I'll be writing a trip report and could send each day via email but it's gotta be through aol since that's where all the email addresses are kept. I also would like to be able to IM with my boyfriend briefly in the evening (after work for him), so if I can't do both of those things it's not worth bothering with the internet that week.

Sue/WDW1972

Veendam 3/09/08

When on Ryndam, we had wireless service in our cabin. Seemed faster than dial up but I did not do a speed test. I used Vista Mail and it worked fine. I have also used my ISP website and that was fine also. I don't know any reason why you could not use AOL thru their site. I did use Yahoo Messenger Voice for phone service thru my notebook and it worked also. I believe this is the least expensive way to phone from the ship, if you have your own computer with either speakers or a headset.

To use the wireless, you merely boot up your computer and it should search out and find the wireless signal. A screen will come on asking you to ID yourself, enter a password, etc. You can then choose which package of service you want. There is a $3.95 start up fee also. You do not even have to go to the internet area, just anywhere you can get a signal.

Gary

How does their wireless work (I'll be on the Veendam). Will I need to be in or near the internet cafe place? Is there a special sign-on to the ship's service that I'd have to do, and then start up aol on my laptop? I'll be writing a trip report and could send each day via email but it's gotta be through aol since that's where all the email addresses are kept. I also would like to be able to IM with my boyfriend briefly in the evening (after work for him), so if I can't do both of those things it's not worth bothering with the internet that week.

Sue/WDW1972

Veendam 3/09/08

You may or may not get a usable signal in your cabin ... it's the luck of the draw whether you're near enough to a router. You will probably have to disable your firewall, and to use AOL I suggest you take your laptop to the Exporations Cafe when the Internet Manager is there for the initial sign-up, because there may be other things that you need to do. I remember there were some special instructions for AOL on the hand-out sheet of directions, but I didn't pay any attention to them.

I don't know any reason why you couldn't IM. Remember when you're IMing that you're paying between $0.40 and $0.75 per minute (depending on the plan you choose). :)

The most important thing when using the ship's internet (wireless or not) is to be SURE that you get logged-off correctly, or else the clock will keep ticking, even if you shut off your computer! :eek: (I think there's a "safety" time-out after about 10 minutes of being idle.)

Archived