What Type of Promenade Space Would You Want on a Ship?

Paul NH

What Type of Promenade Deck Space Would You Like to See in a Ship Design?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What Type of Promenade Deck Space Would You Like to See in a Ship Design?

• I am not interested in promenade decks. Use the space for lounges and/or stateroom balconies.
    • I would like to see an outdoor promenade deck only (like the traditional "boat deck").
    • I would like to see an enclosed (indoor) promenade deck only.
    • I would like to see an outdoor promenade deck and an additional, separate enclosed promenade deck.

Visiting the original Queen Mary this past week (for about the 30th time in my life) got me thinking again about modern ship designs and the disappearance of an enclosed promenade deck. Additionally, with the latest Queen Victoria design, the open deck promenade does not wrap around for a continuous length (forward end forces you indoors). Here is a picture of the starboard side of the Queen Mary's promenade deck as it is today. What type of promenade(s) would interest you when considering a ship? Is a continuous wrap-around deck important to you?

QM6.jpg

Now I would disagee, I think the QM2 is more connected to the sea in that most of the public rooms have wonderful sea views. I think that worked better on QM2 than the walk through rooms on the QE2.

I also like the full one level wraparound deck on QM2 as well, it's far easier to push a buggy along!:D

Hello Paul: Nice to meet you the other day:D on said QUEEN MARY.

I would love to see both kinds of promenades, But I am happy with an outdoor wrap arround with protected forward part like on QM2 or the old ROTTERDAM. I think on most old liners that became cruise ships in warm weather the old indoor Prom decks like on the first QUEEN MARY did not see much use. That is why new ships do not have them... the indoor semi Promenade on QE2 does really kind of work during the day.. At night it just becomes part of whatever room it is next too.

Tom In Long Beach

Indoor promenade decks were abandoned through historical necessity :) . They were so useful in Atlantic crossings, to protect passengers from adverse weather conditions, yet allowing them to enjoy a (more or less) warm temperature, light, seaviews and ample space to enjoy walking, which could not be offered just by lounges with outside views. You can say that they were actually a substitute for the outdoor promenade, which inclement weather would often not allow to use.

But subsequent cruise ships, following most of the time the sun, had no need for such substitutes. The real thing, the outdoor promenade, could be nicely used, and the remaining space from the enclosed ones could be appropriated for profit making spaces.

Personally, as an ocean liner lover, I would love to see enclosed promenades again, but I am afraid that this will not be done, at least soon. Interestingly, I think that the QE2 found a wonderful solution here, by uniting the enclosed promenades with the lounges. The latter have become full of light and much wanted sea views, as befitting to a cruise ship, yet one can have nice, uninterrupted walks around the ship, somehow like in the old days.

I have to disagree that the QM2 makes it so well here. No doubt her lounges have nice sea views, yet traffic is mainly done though the central corridors, giving you the illusion of a fine land hotel. I have repeatedly found my way to a specific place, noticing neither the sea, nor onboard life on other lounges. While, many times on the QE2 I stopped at one lounge, even though heading to another, as something interesting was taking place there:) . And the constant touch with the sea on the QE2 reminds you always that you are on board a ship, not a land hotel.

Interestingly, the much lamented SS Norway had not only kept the old France's First Class Promenades, but given them a rather central role.

Interestingly, I think that the QE2 found a wonderful solution here, by uniting the enclosed promenades with the lounges. The latter have become full of light and much wanted sea views, as befitting to a cruise ship, yet one can have nice, uninterrupted walks around the ship, somehow like in the old days.

I have to disagree that the QM2 makes it so well here. No doubt her lounges have nice sea views, yet traffic is mainly done though the central corridors, giving you the illusion of a fine land hotel.

I agree. I love QE2's walkways, and love the way that they seem to be able to transfer themselves to walkways during the day, and lounges at night.

They are also nice in that you can be half in and half out of a room - and with the section by the library, you even have the inside equivalent of the steamer chair!

I think that the reason I love the Commodore Club over all the other indoor spaces is that there is such a connection with the sea - and this is also something that one gets in the Britannia Club. Interestingly, this is the one thing that I think could be improved with the Queens' Grill on QE2....

Matthew

Interestingly, this is the one thing that I think could be improved with the Queens' Grill on QE2....

Both Grill restaurants on the QM2 lack good sea views. We had a table right next to the window in Britannia this time and it was lovely. When we ate up in the PG it felt more like a land restaurant due to the lack of views.

I feel that in order to legitimately be called a promenade deck, the deck must wrap around the entire ship. Enclosed promenade decks were pretty much a necessity for the transatlantic steamship days, especially in the north Atlantic, but I think an open deck suffices for most of today's cruising.

Promenade deck should be wide enough so that there is space for deck chairs and passengers walking the deck. This is one of the strong points of Holland America ships. Crystal's two ships also have wrap-around decks, but space for deck chairs is a bit limited because these ships are much smaller than HAL's.

One of the very few things I don't like about QE2 is the lack of a wrap-around promenade deck - you have to cross through the forward part of the ship to do a complete circuit. Glad to see that Victoria has a real promenade deck.

If a vessel does not have a promenade or a fantail then it ain't no ship, let alone liner in my book.

I may be forced to transfer to the QM2 after November if I wish to sail Cunard, but no way am I going to patronise an accountant / merchandiser designed thing like Mrs Brown which doesn't want to admit it is at sea.

As long as there are some real ships left after 2010 I'll find 'em

Hello Paul: Nice to meet you the other day:D on said QUEEN MARY. I would love to see both kinds of promenades, But I am happy with an outdoor wrap arround with protected forward part like on QM2 or the old ROTTERDAM. I think on most old liners that became cruise ships in warm weather the old indoor Prom decks like on the first QUEEN MARY did not see much use. That is why new ships do not have them... the indoor semi Promenade on QE2 does really kind of work during the day.. At night it just becomes part of whatever room it is next too. Tom In Long Beach
Tom,

It was good meeting you as well (in case others do not know, Tom has a bit of notoriety to his resume) at Sir Winston's, which by the way is a fantastic restaurant. If anyone visits the Queen Mary in Long Beach, make sure to save some money to have dinner there. A superb restaurant that Cunard should imitate on board their ships - view, food and service. I am in heaven everytime I dine there (the opening martini always helps, but the food and service are really great).

Regarding the promenade, it sounds like the QE2 was a good compromise in today's market (even though that design is 40 years old). But it is a shame to lose the "traditional" promenade deck, regardless.

I have never been on the Norway (previously France), but I read once from a reviewer that they turned that promenade deck into sort of a sidewalk-of-interests, with ice cream parlors and other stops along the walk. This would be a nice compromise on newly designed ships, where you would have a bit of everything - the traditional promenade walkway protected from bad weather (useful on Atlantic runs, and it rains on Carribean cruises too!) - but with a clean view of the ocean, and little niches to stop in, like shops, cafes, etc. This would be an improvement over some of the other ships that aim to recreate the mall life with a center promenade inside the ship - no windows. Ah well, I am only dreaming. I realize because of the premium space an enclosed promenade would grab along the outside of the ship, that current designers/accountants would probably not go for the idea. But I can only hope, especially for a line like Cunard with their emphasis on "heritage."

Paul

I feel that in order to legitimately be called a promenade deck, the deck must wrap around the entire ship ... Promenade deck should be wide enough so that there is space for deck chairs and passengers walking the deck. This is one of the strong points of Holland America ships. Crystal's two ships also have wrap-around decks, but space for deck chairs is a bit limited because these ships are much smaller than HAL's ... One of the very few things I don't like about QE2 is the lack of a wrap-around promenade deck - you have to cross through the forward part of the ship to do a complete circuit. Glad to see that Victoria has a real promenade deck.
Hi Bob,

I am curious about what you mean by the Queen Victoria having "a real promenade deck." Can you elaborate? I do not believe the Victoria has a wrap around deck, and it is not an enclosed deck, so what makes it special?

I strongly agree with you about a promenade deck needing to be wide enough for deck chairs and walkers. The Queen Mary is pretty good in that department, but even still, it is a big difference when they tie the deck chairs up due to winds. It makes for a much more relaxing walk around the deck versus when the chairs are out. Some other ships seem to be downright claustrophobic with their promenade areas.

I think there would be a huge welcome for a very wide deck that allowed ample room for deck chairs and promenaders. The two go well together in the same space, creating a shipboard community feel.

Paul

QM2PromDeck.jpg.1f67c0e1c083b409ae766c3aaf1355bb.jpg

Promenade deck should be wide enough so that there is space for deck chairs and passengers walking the deck.

That is one of the reasons why I like the Norwegian Spirit (she has a nice wrap-around teak promenade with loungers and plenty of rooms for passenger walking).

(ducking to avoid the tomatoes :D)

Hi Bob,

I am curious about what you mean by the Queen Victoria having "a real promenade deck." Can you elaborate? I do not believe the Victoria has a wrap around deck, and it is not an enclosed deck, so what makes it special?

Paul

I've not seen Victoria yet, so my statement was based entirely on the deck plans on Cunard's website. Plan for Promenade Deck, 3 Deck, shows deck wrapping around both bow and stern, but will be interested to hear what the actual layout is from somebody who has been on Victoria.

As for enclosed promenades, I doubt we'll ever see one on a new ship. After all, deck space doesn't generate revenue, at least not directly!

Bob

Archived