Camuy Caves/Arecibo/Tours ???'s

Miss Vickie

We're flying into San Juan a couple of days before our cruise next January, specifically so we can go to Camuy Caves and Arecibo Observatory. We've spent many wonderful hours wandering Old San Juan, love it there, and are now ready to branch out and see more of the island :) .

Has anyone done these on their own - renting a car? Or used a tour operator they can recommend?

Thanks!

You can so do then on your own! It is easy and much cheaper than a tour and you can do that and some other stuff out that way.

I have done them (in the same day- the Caves take about 2-3 hrs and the Observatory takes about 1 hr). We also went to see some petroglyphs in Aricebo- the Cuevo del Indio. It was beautiful. They are about 1 hr from SJ.

There is also the Aricebo Lighthouse that has some interesting stuff, but I have not been there yet (I ran out of time on my last trip west!).

Here is my blog where I wrote about my experiences at the Telescope and the Caves and soon I will post the petroglyph one:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/category/north/

You can so do then on your own! It is easy and much cheaper than a tour and you can do that and some other stuff out that way.

I have done them (in the same day- the Caves take about 2-3 hrs and the Observatory takes about 1 hr). We also went to see some petroglyphs in Aricebo- the Cuevo del Indio. It was beautiful. They are about 1 hr from SJ.

There is also the Aricebo Lighthouse that has some interesting stuff, but I have not been there yet (I ran out of time on my last trip west!).

Here is my blog where I wrote about my experiences at the Telescope and the Caves and soon I will post the petroglyph one:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/category/north/

Thanks so much for the quick response! We've been researching this and are leaning toward the car rental, for just the reasons you point out - more flexibility and the maps make it look relatively simple to find. Thanks for the link, and I'll be looking forward to reading about the petroglyphs! I'd love to include that in the day, if there turns out to be time :)

Archived