Book new cruise now or while on a cruise?

luv2cruise08

We will be cruising in May and I am looking into a cruise for Feb 09. I was wondering what some of you have done. Do you book now and secure that price? Or do you book while on a cruise and hopefully receive OBC and pay a low deposit. I have read some places of people booking their next cruise while on a cruise during a Latitudes party and received OBC for purchasing a cruise and only having to put $250. down. Is that typical?

Thanks

We cruised in January and used the cruise rewards program. You put $250 down and get $100 obc. THen you have 12 months to book and 30 mionths to cruise. The good thing is you don't have to use NCL directly you can go through your TA or even an Online Agency.

And the $250 is all the deposit you will need to book a cabin when you do book. Doesn't matter if you have four people in the cabin with you.

Also, watch for other onboard specials offered with the $250 down. I got an extra 30 minutes in the Internet cafe for free and I think they were offering a special in the spa, too.

Viv

NCL is now pushing the Future Cruise Credit -- mentioned in the previous post -- but is doing very few booking on board. This was explained to us as they are only able to offer "rack" rates, and that you can get much better deals from your TA, or even booking online. :eek:

I always get better deals going through my TA -- and she matches any onboard credit that NCL gives.

I might consider making the $250 deposit on a cruise -- IF it did not expire. Apparently this 'deal' is like some 'gift cards' that expire -- a certain percentage of people never use the credit and after the 12 month booking limit, NCL pockets the money as pure profit.

a certain percentage of people never use the credit and after the 12 month booking limit, NCL pockets the money as pure profit.

A year is a fairly reasonable time to give a person to book a cruise that can be up to 30 months away... Plus, the $250 is the deposit, but you get an automatic $100 (I thnk) in OBC, so I think that you are getting a great deal - if you like cruising and plan to cruise on NCL again.

Guest Anorak33

NCL recently told me that the rules have changed, you can now transfer it and pay no penalty.

However - and its a BIG however - I book online with a travel agent which reckons to give the best prices for cruises - I can't actually say which one it is because of board rules - and neither time have they applied the future cruise credit I told them about when I booked.

NCL of course won't speak to me about it as I booked through an agent, and the agent (who I won't use again) doesn't care.

So thats my money pretty much down the drain. And believe me I have tried pretty hard to get this sorted out - and failed abysmally, over a few months.

Something to remember if you book online.

If however you have great real person travel agent then I guess it won't be a problem, but you may of course pay considerably more for your cruise.

Great comments. So basically it goes like this. You can purchase these $250 coupons to be used as a down payment on a future cruise if booked within 12 months and cruise within 30 months and you automatically get a $100 OBC to your current cruise. And possibly any other perks that they may or may not have during that cruise ie (spa discount, free internet) I don't understand the transfer part. Transfer it past the 12 months booking limit?

Thanks

Guest Anorak33
ANTI-BRITS WARNING! We tried to do this last year on the Jewel but were told that it was only open to US customers! No reasonable explanation given.:mad:

Not now true. OK for everyone.

Some rules are still very pro US though, like military discounts. Good for US soldiers but not for the Brit standing next to him getting shot at in Iraq.

And its not just NCL but all the major cruise lines, even the ones which are not (or were not) US owned.

Reasonable explanation? Don't ever expect that from a cruise line.

Guest Anorak33
Great comments. So basically it goes like this. You can purchase these $250 coupons to be used as a down payment on a future cruise if booked within 12 months and cruise within 30 months and you automatically get a $100 OBC to your current cruise. And possibly any other perks that they may or may not have during that cruise ie (spa discount, free internet) I don't understand the transfer part. Transfer it past the 12 months booking limit?

Thanks

Transfer it to another person. In the beginning you had to use the future credit to book a cabin in your name and you had to travel in that cabin.

Now you can give it to your Aunt Fanny or the milkman or sell it on Ebay - if you think thats worth doing.

The lucky recipient can then use it for his/her booking with no penalty.

Archived