Suitability for children - Legend med.

hollyanna

I agree on both points!;) While the parents on our SB cruise last year took care to make it work, after taking a Disney cruise myself I can't help but think their girls would have had much more fun (and made better memories) on a ship that had activities designed specifically for their age group.

johnny

Amen.

To quote Mrs. Jack......"There are far more effective ways to educate, entertain and stimulate children for $800 per day rather than cruise with a bunch of adults. It's akin to taking an orangutan to the opera. He'll have fun but will he appreciate the experience. Fine diniing??????????........what does a child know of fine dining? I'm still learning fine dining and I'm over...........well, never mind."

Jack & Mrs. Jack

(Please address all rebuttals to Mrs. Jack:) )

Mr and Mrs Jack,

As to young people on Seabourn I'm wondering just what activities there would be for them? Sit in the Suite and watch movies? Swim in the pool? Read? They probably wouldn't enjoy the evening shows in the Show Lounge. Of course they would be visiting ports of call, but sail-away is usually 5 p.m. ~~~no evening activities for them.

I would think teens would be happier and have alot more fun on a ship that offers fun things to do for their ages ~~~:p

MB

post script:

I'm thinking of taking my 3 goldfish on

the Pride Transatlantic. Don't you think

they would look attractive sitting on my

coffee table? A conversation piece?

I have a 15 year old daughter and a 10 year old son. They have been on two RCL cruises which they love. My husband and I went on the Legend without them and kept commenting how they would have been just bored to tears after the extensive entertainment/kids activities/other kids to bond with that is found on RCL. Even though it was somewhat of a "shock" to our systems to cruise on RCL after our Seabourn experience, we did it because it was so much more appropriate and enjoyable for our children, which means it was more enjoyable for us as they were off with new friends and happy. Because our most recent cruise (Alaska) was on a mid-size RCL ship rather than one of the behemoths, it was much easier for them to roam independently and check in with us once in a while. We barely saw our teenage daughter on sea days -- we had a requirement that she have dinner with us but otherwise she was off having a great time. We had family time during shore excursions which was a perfect situation. Save the special Seabourn experience for when they will really appreciate it and check out RCL's Mediterranean itinerary -- it's on our list for our next family cruise.

Personally I think it is up to each set of parents to decide which cruise line they take; not the other potential guests. And if they are comfortable with the virtually non-existent kid-friendly facilities and more formal experiences (dining, etc.) on board that is their call. Further convincing of that point I don't think could be made no matter how many posts are made reconfirming the fact.

We all have different parenting styles and I am always fascinated how people interject on message boards what the "proper" way is to raise children when they never (and I mean "never") would say such things to a parent's face.

However, just as much as I think other guests should respect each parent's rights to choose their cruise (and Seabourn does not prohibit children), I think it is imperative that those same parents respect the other guests and their expectations...for each guest is entitled to their "space" and reasonably expected ambiance. I think that is the basic tenor (concern) of this thread.

Case in point: Years ago I was told by many my children were too young to cruise on Radisson (my daughter was, I believe, 4). I knew my children, their behavior and their ability to travel among adults. There were only a couple of other children aboard, but they had a great time, the staff loved them (even threatening to lock them in the freezer if they didn't eat their breakfast...and they DID do it:) ) and those that didn't compliment my kids were surprised to know that our kids were even aboard. Yes, some of the adults gave us dirty looks at first (obviously expecting a horrific situation that never came to pass), but it all became a non-event.

Now, what if listened to all those people "telling" me how to raise my kids and that I should be relegated to Disney (and I HATE Mickey) or Royal Caribbean (and I HATE dancing waiters)? To be sure, I had a bit more experience and knowledge as to what to expect, but respectfully it remained my decision and we have far better traveled, cultured and experienced children...and we traveled to so many wonderful places that Disney and Royal Caribbean didn't/don't go to. For me, not exposing my children to those places at a young age - dumbing them down to simply be happy loving Mickey - would be wrong.

BTW, I remain very firm in my belief that Seabourn is inappropriate for even my well experienced (and, of course, best behaved;) ) children.

I will now step off my soap box. :o

Yes, actually there are a number of posts about which cruise lines should be used because the children would be happier in a kid's program or eating a certain way, etc. I don't want to go and site examples A, B or C because I really don't want to make it personal.

Let me put it this way. As a parent would you like someone saying to you, "You did/are going to do what with your child? Oh, no. You were/are wrong. What you really should have done/do was/is X. Oh, how they must have/will suffered! Trust me if you were a good parent you must do X. Even though I don't know you or your child, I know." Granted, no one has used those words, but the concept is very much alive in this thread.

The OP asked if Seabourn would be appropriate. The answer is pretty simple and examples of alternatives are fine IMO, but..and I say this as a parent of younger children...some of the comments are more than that. To me (and I know from other threads on CC, to others) they can be unintentionally offensive.

I hope this doesn't become yet another CC thread where children are discussed and then it all gets ugly. Hence, if I offended, I apologize.

And I think we have had enough pontification that children belong on Disney because playing with Mickey Mouse is more appropriate for their minds and behavior. Ergo children couldn't possibly benefit or have fun with the cultures of other countries...and that to do so is an abuse to them.

I am not pointing at Mrs. Jack (see prior post) or any other particular post, but those comments are supposed to be what if not pontification?

Let's end it now.

Case in point: Years ago I was told by many my children were too young to cruise on Radisson (my daughter was, I believe, 4). I knew my children, their behavior and their ability to travel among adults. There were only a couple of other children aboard, but they had a great time, the staff loved them (even threatening to lock them in the freezer if they didn't eat their breakfast...and they DID do it:) ) and those that didn't compliment my kids were surprised to know that our kids were even aboard. Yes, some of the adults gave us dirty looks at first (obviously expecting a horrific situation that never came to pass), but it all became a non-event.

Eric wrote the above and I think that is where we all could go wrong. We love our own children/grandchildren a lot and we only want to see the good things they're doing. We also want the best for them. Of course some children behave better than others, but they are and will be children. Adults (sometimes children too!) tend to behave like adults and would not show the fact they are not appreciating children around them on a ship where they didn't expect children. After some days where I've watched a young child on Seabourn, I too would go over and say hello, mentioning how lovely the child is. And of course the staff will be polite enough to say nice things to the children ànd the parents, no matter how terrible the children are.

But once more my opinion: No young children on Seabourn! An opinion shared by Eric by the way.

But on the other hand I have to mention a few exceptions I have seen. A former Seabourn captain had his wife and two young children on board a couple of times while I was there and that all went very nicely. Once the grandparents were there as well and that helps I think.

Now the only thing is: I hope I will be able to keep my beautiful 4 year old granddaughter away from Seabourn and on the other hand I will be around long enough to once introduce her to Seabourn! What a dilemma!

Marja

Marja,

First, of course you will be there to enjoy those moments! Not even a question; right? Right!:)

Second, interestingly, there is a thread on the Regent board about concerns over its "Kids Sail Free" promotion and, in the recent past, a thread about its Mariner's Club for children. Regent has a history of marketing to children and families; Seabourn does not. Hence, the story I related is not one of children infringing, but being rightfully welcomed.

That said, nothing could be truer than my kids are special to me...and not exactly what others without children are looking forward to on their cruise - regardless of their behavior. That is true for some (many?) adults whether it be on Carnival, Celebrity, Regent or Seabourn. Don't worry, respectful parents know and try to make sure their children know and understand...and respect...the fact that those adults didn't sign on to be child-minders or even an audience.

OTOH, children on cruise lines with children's programs - like as was the case when during the Radisson cruise mentioned by me - ought not to be chased or even "evil-eyed" out of pools or spas, etc. They are entitled to respect as well. To do otherwise teaches children that disrespect is power...and power is good; isn't it?!:eek:

Alas, as we all say, Seabourn isn't Regent and doesn't have what Regent has. My kids will, like your grandchildren, cruise on Seabourn...some day, but definitely not today.

Feel good!

Now, what if listened to all those people "telling" me how to raise my kids and that I should be relegated to Disney (and I HATE Mickey) or Royal Caribbean (and I HATE dancing waiters)?

For me, not exposing my children to those places at a young age - dumbing them down to simply be happy loving Mickey - would be wrong.

Since you are very familiar with cruise travel, you possibly made the decision on cruise lines for your family's vacation. Disney was probably not an option if you "HATE" Mickey. Are those who take their children on Disney really "dumbing them down"? That is mildly insulting, especially since the happiness of the children might have been a consideration when planning that family vacation. As for "those places" in the Med, Disney and RCCL were both there last summer.

I would hope the OP does not raise her kids based on comments shared on a semi-anonymous message board. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and presume she is much more intelligent. She asked for people's opinions and she got them. I prefer to leave it to her to sort through these postings and make a decision.

Finally, why do you oftentimes attempt to "end" a thread after a lengthy "pontification"?:confused: I enjoy reading all points of views - including yours!:cool:

johnny

Why isn't there a true luxury cruise line that accomodates children? The finest hotels in the world do. The Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, One and Only, as well as the finest hotels in Europe all welcome children and have progarms and facilities for them. We take our kids to these hotels, why shouldn't they (and we) have the benefit of the same services amenities when traveling as a family at sea?? Perhaps because the luxury lines are catering to an older demographic??

We took our kids on Seabourn at 10 and 11 and they loved it...(very sophistocated kids..well traveled. and well behaved.) We had people asking us to sit with them every night including the commissioner of baseball.

Our kids learned early they like the good life and now as an real estate estate developer and doctor they can afford to go themselves...

They also like the Four Seasons....lol...

Recently we went on the Eastern Oriental express train from Singapore to Bangkok...There were 3 darling children on board. REally enjoyed them..

I Like all ages and think the parents can decide if their kids are sophisticated enough to enjoy the experience. Some children will enjoy it..some not.

We took our kids on Seabourn at 10 and 11 and they loved it...(very sophistocated kids..well traveled. and well behaved.) We had people asking us to sit with them every night including the commissioner of baseball.

Our kids learned early they like the good life and now as an real estate estate developer and doctor they can afford to go themselves...

They also like the Four Seasons....lol...

Recently we went on the Eastern Oriental express train from Singapore to Bangkok...There were 3 darling children on board. REally enjoyed them..

I Like all ages and think the parents can decide if their kids are sophisticated enough to enjoy the experience. Some children will enjoy it..some not.

I wish I could say all that about my children! I remember they were chasing each other at the age of 10/11! And our daughter had to see the doctor to stitch the wound on her leg she got from that chase. Nice to hear too your children did so well in life, good for them and you. We still pay for them if we want to take them on a cruise or send them on one themselves, but that suites us fine. We love them!

I didn't notice a Seabourn cruise on your list though or did you sail Seabourn before 1992? Are you sure it was Seabourn?

Marja

I will be totally honest and say that I hate kids and that's why I sail with Seabourn because it is one of the very few lines that I will not see them on.

Where is the OP by the way?

Had to chuckle..when our kids were small, we had neighbors..the Wilsons...they yelled at the kids and made then stay out of their yard...Don and I in our later years..now call ourselves..THE WILSONS!:D

Marja,

Seabourn was started in 1987; about 20 years ago. It was much different then and had for a time a larger ship, the Sun (now the Holland America Princendam). The triplets (actually twins originally) were a concept that eventually became reality...and then the third sister was acquired.

The early days of Signet, then Seabourn, were a bit rocky and, dare I say, disorganized, but settled down when the focus fell onto the triplets and a smaller, more intimate, product after the line was sold. It was the older product, if I do the math correctly, that the Harrodsfan (love the name!) family experienced.

One should also keep in mind that back then there were not nearly the options that are available today. Children's programs were "unique", Royal Caribbean was tauted as "mass with class", Carnival was just becoming the "Fun Ships". It was a different cruising world.

For Harrodsfan's family it worked back then...and it seems, if all is true, that they must have been doing a few things right!

Marja,

Seabourn was started in 1987; about 20 years ago. It was much different then and had for a time a larger ship, the Sun (now the Holland America Princendam). The triplets (actually twins originally) were a concept that eventually became reality...and then the third sister was acquired.

Eric, I've sailed on the Seabourn Sun a couple of times including the last leg of the world cruise (the last voyage) from Capetown to Ft. Lauderdale. That was a fantastic time! But when the ship was "Royal Viking Sun" it was Cunard and not Seabourn I believe. Our children 25 and 26 at the time loved the ship too!

Marja

It was Royal Viking!

BTW, having been on the Seabourn Sun, how was the product compared to today's Seabourn??? (A bit off topic, sorry.)

I did write that the Seabourn Sun WAS Royal Viking Sun. I know that. But Royal Viking Sun was Cunard, not Seabourn (I think).

I agree off topic, but it was a great ship for children as well (on topic again!). No really, the Seabourn Sun was a great real Seabourn ship, but bigger. One assigned seating, but no rush. Drinks not included though.

We loved it! We once went back on the Prinsendam, but it wasn't the same. Our one and only Holland America cruise (so far).

Marja

I will be totally honest and say that I hate kids and that's why I sail with Seabourn because it is one of the very few lines that I will not see them on.

Where is the OP by the way?

lord,

That's unfortunate.........have you tried them with a bit of mustard and roasted peppers?;) Jack

Archived