Still haven't booked - reviews have scared me

fcombs

The Azamara Smoking Policy, as I understand it, is more restrictive than that on both Celebrity and RCCL. It started essentially when the Line began sailing.

I have been told that Celebrity will impliment the same policy after this years's 2008 European Season. Haven't heard about RCCL, but would expect something similar with them also.

The explaination that was given to me ( as an aside) was that the change was not due to esthetics or health reasons, but because of changes in insurance costs as a result of the Princess fire.

In any case, the difference on the Quest is Night and Day for someone like me.

Hi!

You had questions about aft motion (sunset verandas) as well as sun on the balcony.

Motion: There was definitely more motion in the aft section. This was not a problem in low to moderate seas, but we had some 8-10 ft. waves-they got higher, but they quit recording wave size on TV in room and just said "very high seas". I actually think that everyone on the ship was affected during this time. The motion didn't bother us (Canal Cruise) from Acapulco or, of course, through the Canal. The seas were high on the way to San Andres Island (open ocean away from the coast).

Sun on deck: Because on our itinerary the ship was frequently changing direction (geography of shoreline, docking, etc.) and the natural movement of the sun, you really can't predict whether you will have shade on your balcony. It is uncovered. The view is lovely and we enjoyed the peace at night.

To perhaps quell some of your anxiety about an aft cabin, I will tell you that there are many lovely mid-ship areas to spend time either in sun or shade if there is a great deal of motion...or just for enjoyment. I'm not a sun person, so I spent a great deal of time on the sun/pool deck in a beautiful area between the pool and the casual dining area. It's completely shaded, contains beautiful huge cushy couches, lounge chairs (some for two) and there's easy access to cold drinks or the pool.

Despite a bit of motion sickness, I enjoyed the aft view so much that I've booked an aft for Tahiti in May (Paul Gauguin). If Azamara had a Tahiti itinerary, I wouldn't hesitate to book Azamara in the future.

I hope this has been helpful.....You didn't ask but we had no problems with vibration, soot, smells or noise. Perhaps we just got lucky. We were on deck 8.

I hope that you enjoy your cruise.

murphysmum;)

I have a travel agent who had a cabin held for us on the Quest for the Cannes Film Festival cruise departing Rome on May 10, but I still have not officially booked this cruise as of this date. I don't think I have ever read so many negative reviews about a ship in my life. The worst cruise I ever went on and the worst ship I ever sailed on was the Grand Princess. And it gets pretty good reviews. I can't figure that out as my lamp shade had what appeared to be vomit on it, and they would never change it even though I begged them to do so. We thought our refrigerator was broken, and it turned out it was just FILTHY, and all the sticky stuff spilled in it had stuck the door to the fridge, and it wouldn't open. It was a ghastly week with all the problems I've read about on Azamara with the open seating. I couldn't wait to get get off that ship - the Grand Princess.

I keep thinking, My God, if the Grand Princess gets good reviews after what I experienced, what must this Azamara ship be like with all the horrible reviews. I've been burned, and I'm really hesitant about booking this line although this itinerary is so wonderful and just what I wanted. I can't find anything like it on another line.

Can anybody tell me if this ship has improved or not, and if so, to what degree? I have had one truly miserable experience on a cruise ship, and if I had to endure something of that magnitude for 14 days, I would just lose it. They would surely remember my name. And I had been to the Caribbean many times, so that part of it was no big deal - the ports. But Europe is a very big deal to me.

I am overwrought about this as my husband wanted to give me this trip for my birthday, and it is time to make the deposit, however, I am not convinced that I will be happy with this ship, the service, the food, etc. I've cruised most of the major lines - have not cruised Celebrity.

Faye Combs

We were on Journey over Xmas & New Year. Cruise did not come up to how the line is being advertised. We found the cabin & staff very good, the cruise itinery was good, the captain was the best one we have ever had - what let it down for us was the service and food in the dinning room. We found both unreliable - the food and service was better in the speciality restaurants but that was unreliable as well. We still enjoyed the cruise though and did not feel let down quite enough to put in an official complaint letter

Murphysmum-

Thanks for the detailed informatation. I have sailed on this ship (not Azamara) in the past, most recently last June in the baltic so I am not so concerned with the motion mid-ship. I have been considering a trans-atlantic in an aft cabin but hesitate to do it on a smaller ship exactly because of the motion issue, especially in the Atlantic which can be rough anytime of the year. Actually, the worst motion I ever had was on the Mercury last April coming into San Diego. This was the first time I was ever queasy & had to nurse a ginger ale for hours. You've been very helpful

:) I understand your worries...........we were worried also, however I am so glad we didn't back out of our 2-02-08 cruise through the Panama Canal...... We had a wonderful time and the Quest was a beautiful, clean ship. The crew from the hotel director down were constantly checking with passengers and walking the halls to check on everything. My Princess experience was equally as bad as yours. :mad:

:D The quest experience was just the opposite. A nice quiet, clean ship with a friendly caring crew. This was our experience. Hope you have an equally good experience. We would go on the Quest again tomorrow. Wish we had the time.:rolleyes:

Do you really think AZ is going to lose any money because YOU didn't book? They seem to have no problem selling the most expensive cabins. If you took your cruise you would probably end up being one of those negative nonstop gripers that was looking for flaws. So I'm glad you are not sailing with AZ with your negative attitude before you even have spoken with someone who actually sailed with them. Anyone can say anything they want in an e mail and you don't know if they have an ax to grind. There are also trolls who post on CC, disgruntled former employees of the cruise lines who are trying to get back at their ex employers. You obviously should never sail on one of the "R" class ships. They never will have the amenities you seem to need to have a happy cruise. Don't even think about booking Xpedition : ).

I have been using Cruise Critic boards for years for the same reason everybody else does - for information, to share anticipation about the trip, to make friends, etc. I am a web designer and have even set up a couple of websites for people who were traveling on the same cruises which everybody involved seemed to enjoy a lot.

The lady with whom I communicated in personal emails was not a disgruntled former employee of a cruise ship. She had a miserable experience on Quest as a passenger in a Penthouse Suite. She and her husband seemed to enjoy the same sort of things my husband and I enjoy, so I just decided that I wouldn't be happy with this particular experience, either.

I have never "looked for flaws," in fact, I kept hoping that the reviews would get better. There are other threads going that are still filled with negative reviews from people who just returned from Azamara cruises.

As far as the comment that Azamara is not losing any money because I didn't book - well, yes, they will lose my money, and I'm sure they don't care, but therein lies the problem. They should care.

I made a decision with which I am happy. We are now booked to go to the Mediterranean in September (not on Azamara), and I feel much better about the situation. What I don't understand is why you felt the need to launch a full-scale attack on me because of my decision. That's why there are so many cruise ships - to satisfy the many and varying tastes of cruisers. Your attitude and tone was rude. I could ask you if you are employed by Azamara?

There's another post by Hedonistuds in response to what I posted about not booking this cruise on Quest saying that my attitude was "annoying and funny." I don't know why my decision to not cruise on this ship is "annoying and funny" - it was what was right for my husband and me, and he agrees wholeheartedly with calling it off and not booking. We are both quite happy with our current plans.

Oh, and Napi's Mom (aka qe2), I'm not into a class system thing, either. I simply want the best experience possible for my money.

After reading so many antagonistic responses and posts from Azamara enthusiasts, I know for sure now that I made the right decision.

After reading so many antagonistic responses and posts from Azamara enthusiasts, I know for sure now that I made the right decision.

Well I have recently booked a cruise on Quest, coming from several with HAL, and I'm sure it will be fine. But I agree with you that this Board has way more than its share of aggressive and unpleasant posters. Pity.

Well I have recently booked a cruise on Quest, coming from several with HAL, and I'm sure it will be fine. But I agree with you that this Board has way more than its share of aggressive and unpleasant posters. Pity.

Hi Kipling !

I agree. In some ways, your comment makes me feel as if I am not doing the best job possible, but my hands are tied.

Its not only this board, its every board. Unfortunately, some posters take some sort of pleasure, to come on here and complain all the time. The worst part is, there is always the possibility of the complaining being exaggerated, and in some cases, I sense it may not even be factual. That's why I always suggest you take both the good and the bad with a grain of salt.

Sadly, many passengers come on here post Cruise, and use the boards to complain about everything. In some cases, this is warranted. In other cases, the complaining goes on by the same handful of posters over and over. At that point, I tend to tune them out. I have no problem with any Cruise passengers coming back to tell us they had a disappointing Cruise, as long as there is basis for it. However, when they are still griping about it many months later..... IMHO, thats pretty vindictive.

While I strongly feel that Cruise Critic is a wonderful place to get information, everyone should do their own research, via whatever methods make them comfortable with their decisions. Frankly, I would NEVER make a Cruise choice based on comments from a single past passenger. The only way I would ever make a Cruise decision based on board comments, was if the feedback was overwhelmingly positive or negative, and from many posters. Ultimately, the decision on what ship and cruiseline to choose, is yours to make.

Thanks for allowing me to vent :)

Dear Fcombs,

I must agree with your comments. I too have experienced some rather unnecessary attacks on these boards. There are ways to diplomatically make statements indicating that you don't agree with

what another poster has said. However, the personal and aggressive personal attacks do not have a place on these boards.

This is after all cruise "critic" and a great place to exchange pros and cons about certain itineraries, ships, excursions, cruise lines, etc. I will say I have encountered far more pleasant and helpful posters than those that are mean-spirited. Most of those on these boards love cruising and enjoy exchanging helpful and sincere information. Those that engage in personal attacks are in the minority.

These boards have been invaluable in my planning of cruises (particularly the Ports of Call threads) and I always try to provide as well as obtain information.

Sorry for your experience and I hope you have a wonderful cruise in September.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

I must agree with your comments. I too have experienced some rather unnecessary attacks on these boards.

Hi Nancy !

This is not the first time you have mentioned this, and for some reason you keep repeating it. To the best of my knowledge, anything directly related to your posts was deleted. If you have any problems or concerns, you should email me personally at the link below, or report any problem posts by clicking on the red triangle at the top of each post. If you feel anything needs further review, please let me know. I am here to help. Thanks !

We just got back from a fabulous two week cruise on the Quest. I hope to post my review later today (it's very long winded).

Suffice it to say, I would go on the Quest again in a second, and although Celebrity has been our favourite for years, it may be tough to go back after such a wonderful cruise with Azamara.

Now if they would only sail to French Polynesia . . .

I have been using Cruise Critic boards for years for the same reason everybody else does - for information, to share anticipation about the trip, to make friends, etc. I am a web designer and have even set up a couple of websites for people who were traveling on the same cruises which everybody involved seemed to enjoy a lot.

The lady with whom I communicated in personal emails was not a disgruntled former employee of a cruise ship. She had a miserable experience on Quest as a passenger in a Penthouse Suite. She and her husband seemed to enjoy the same sort of things my husband and I enjoy, so I just decided that I wouldn't be happy with this particular experience, either.

I have never "looked for flaws," in fact, I kept hoping that the reviews would get better. There are other threads going that are still filled with negative reviews from people who just returned from Azamara cruises.

As far as the comment that Azamara is not losing any money because I didn't book - well, yes, they will lose my money, and I'm sure they don't care, but therein lies the problem. They should care.

I made a decision with which I am happy. We are now booked to go to the Mediterranean in September (not on Azamara), and I feel much better about the situation. What I don't understand is why you felt the need to launch a full-scale attack on me because of my decision. That's why there are so many cruise ships - to satisfy the many and varying tastes of cruisers. Your attitude and tone was rude. I could ask you if you are employed by Azamara?

There's another post by Hedonistuds in response to what I posted about not booking this cruise on Quest saying that my attitude was "annoying and funny." I don't know why my decision to not cruise on this ship is "annoying and funny" - it was what was right for my husband and me, and he agrees wholeheartedly with calling it off and not booking. We are both quite happy with our current plans.

Oh, and Napi's Mom (aka qe2), I'm not into a class system thing, either. I simply want the best experience possible for my money.

Bravo. Or perhaps I should I should say "Brava".

Hi Kipling !

I agree. In some ways, your comment makes me feel as if I am not doing the best job possible, but my hands are tied.

Its not only this board, its every board. Unfortunately, some posters take some sort of pleasure, to come on here and complain all the time. The worst part is, there is always the possibility of the complaining being exaggerated, and in some cases, I sense it may not even be factual. That's why I always suggest you take both the good and the bad with a grain of salt.

Sadly, many passengers come on here post Cruise, and use the boards to complain about everything. In some cases, this is warranted. In other cases, the complaining goes on by the same handful of posters over and over. At that point, I tend to tune them out. I have no problem with any Cruise passengers coming back to tell us they had a disappointing Cruise, as long as there is basis for it. However, when they are still griping about it many months later..... IMHO, thats pretty vindictive.

While I strongly feel that Cruise Critic is a wonderful place to get information, everyone should do their own research, via whatever methods make them comfortable with their decisions. Frankly, I would NEVER make a Cruise choice based on comments from a single past passenger. The only way I would ever make a Cruise decision based on board comments, was if the feedback was overwhelmingly positive or negative, and from many posters. Ultimately, the decision on what ship and cruiseline to choose, is yours to make.

Thanks for allowing me to vent :)

Hi Andy!

I'm sure you are doing as good a job as anyone could. Must be a bit like school teaching, a job I would be no good at at all!

The Boards are a great resource, but I think you have to analyse the complaints rather carefully. After all every holiday, not just on a cruise ship, has its lows. And on a ship I think its possible to become a little paranoid about small things, especially on a longish cruise. I've been guilty of this.

When I frequented the Holland America boards I came to think of them as a different world, one that you could visit when fed up with wars, etc, and read heated debates about which ship had the best towel animals and the best way to get the crispy bits of the bread and butter pudding! First things first!

Keep up the good work!

Bravo. Or perhaps I should I should say "Brava".

Hi Host Andy an all:

I can't conceive the idea of some people here to try to opaque the fun process to plan a cruise vacation. I understand some people have had good, bad, superb or unpleasant experiences on different ships or cruise lines, its part of life. Nothing is perfect. I'm a US ARMY officer and a well-travelled person since I was a kid. As an American I can't understand the way people complaint about everything like little babies; it seems they can't even enjoy the many blessings God had given us so far (health and freedom-for example). How some people can use this board to discourage others? Why they don’t use their personal e-mails to do so with their family and friends instead? My family and I are enjoying this website a lot; we have been contacting other passengers for private trip/excursions. I’ve been in so many cruises in my life, which are countless, in more than 80 and I'm 31 years old. Many people appreciate your excellent work! Thank you.

Regards from Asia,

Joel

P.S. I've learned my lesson: "Don't waste your time on messages like that."

Hi Andy-Thanks for your post. I have found that some of my own comments on CC (and especially this board) have become increasingly sharp-edged. In large part, this reflects my frustration with the increasing amount of complaining, often agenda-driven, that is showing up. I originally came to CC looking for information, both good and bad, about various lines and ships so that I could plan my own cruises with the best information available. Constructive criticism is part of that process. But malicious posts, fabricated "reviews," personal issues, etc. cause confusion and harm to members trying to plan a trip as well as the crews and staffs of ships who work hard to make a living and to provide an enjoyable experience for their passengers. I also think it would be helpful if everyone attempts to use CC's very good search feature before posting since many issues have been discussed at great length before.

It must be the state of our world that so many people make many decisions based on the opinions of total strangers.

Examples that come to mind: A restaurant gets a rave review and everyone rushes to dine there....a play or movie gets a bad review and people say, "I don't want to see that, it got a terrible review." Now we see on CC people who make their decisions on whether to sail on a certain cruise line based on

"comments" made by posters to this website. Thorough reviews are always helpful whether they are positive or negative. And Azamara has certainly listened to constructive criticism and suggestions posed by Host Andy and CC members at the parties on board.

I will admit that my feelings in this matter are colored by the fabulous trip we had on Quest in January. At that time, we had read all of the negativity that was posted during her first couple of months at sea, but as you can tell from my signature, we like to give them all a chance, and we are so gratified that we chose to make our own decisions.

My thoughts are that it is too bad that the OP missed what we perceived as a delightful cruising experience.

Andy...we think you are doing a terrific job....keep it up.

Marilyn

Yikes!

We have been on the Journey in October and just got off the Quest last Saturday. So I guess it could be said that we have put our money where our mouth is.

Were these cruises perfect? Of course not, I haven't been on a perfect cruise yet, and doubt I ever will. On Azamara the entertainment is weak and the shore excursions overpriced. YMMV.

Would I do it again? You bet! If just for the chocolate chip cookies! The OP had her doubts and if you are looking at spending the kind bucks that an Azamara cruise commands, you better be positive.

A couple of responses to other comments:

The veranda cabins are well laid out and my only fervent wish would be for another two or three square feet of shower space. You need to take two bars of soap into the shower, because if you drop it you will pretty much have to get out of the shower to pick it up.

The rest is livable, even for a two week cruise. The storage space handled everything from our suitcases.

The Quest library just received a large shipment of new books. The shelves are now well stocked. Whether you like what they have is another matter. I found a couple that I enjoyed.

Bodger

The OP had her doubts and if you are looking at spending the kind bucks that an Azamara cruise commands, you better be positive.

Hi Bodger,

Good to hear that you would cruise with Az again.

While some fares on Az itineraries are up there, they have some pretty good deals right now on a lot of itineraries for this year. Perhaps low enough to tempt you to go on a third cruise with them? :)

Hi Bodger,

Good to hear that you would cruise with Az again.

While some fares on Az itineraries are up there, they have some pretty good deals right now on a lot of itineraries for this year. Perhaps low enough to tempt you to go on a third cruise with them? :)

I haven't checked the specifics but I am guessing you are referring to their South American cruises. I looked at them but they hold no appeal for us. Azamara has reacted to the low sales by switching the Journey from SA into the Carribean next year, which has sold quite well.

Also I can't get Mrs. Bodger to go away during gardening season which is underway any day now when she starts her indoor seedlings.

Next year is a milestone year for us, both birthdays and anniversary which has us looking at a Galapogos cruise with a Machu Pichu option, so it won't be Azamara.

Our two Azamara cruises where selected primarily for the destinations, the Quest well before the Azamara name was announced. The no formal and limited smoking policies were a bonus. We would certainly sail with Azamara again but it will depend on the itinerary.

Bodger

I haven't checked the specifics but I am guessing you are referring to their South American cruises.

No, it was the Europe itineraries that I meant .... many of them dropped in price this week.

Nice choice for your anniversary/birthday cruise ... are you thinking of doing it with Celebrity?

Archived