Day - St. Thomas - St. John - Maho Beach questions?

ryzmom

These questions are for anybody – but Islanders would know most of them, so any help would be totally appreciated.

I will be in St. Thomas on the Mariner of the Seas on October 15th docked from 9 am – 8 pm and here my questions are:

I want to do a little bit of everything because I am afraid that I won’t ever get to visit this beautiful place again.

Wherever the Mariner docks, I want to know the best way to get to the top to take those awesome pics of Magen’s Bay and such from the Top of the Mountain. Can I walk or do I need a taxi to get there? I also want to know if I am going to a few places, would it be best for the 2 of us to rent a jeep for the day.

I want to go to St. John and go to Maho Beach between 11 am – 1 pm to see the planes come in and eat lunch at Sunset Beach Bar.

I also want to go to Cardow Jewelers on my way back to look for some jewelry.

Can I do all of this for the day and maybe stop at the beach as well?

How much is the ferry? How much are taxis rather than renting a car? The best way and any suggestions would be totally welcome. My email is deana0473@aol.com.

Just to further confuse things, there is in fact a Maho Bay on St. John. I often wonder that more people don't get the two mixed up!

ryzmom: As you know by now, the Maho you're asking about is Maho Beach on St. Martin. Maho Bay on St. John is gorgeous (if the pix I've seen and reviews I've read are any indication; we only got to Trunk Bay and that area), but it's not the one you're asking about.

If the only reason you'd be taking the time to go to St. John would have been to watch the planes land, then don't spend the 2+ hours round-trip travel time. If you go to St. John by taxi and ferry, travel costs and time are about the same whether you take the longer ferry ride out of CA or take the shorter ride from Red Hook. It's been a while, and I'm sure The Islander (or another helpful member) can give you exact costs, but plan on $40+/person round-trip from CA. This includes taxi to ferry pier, ferry cost, and taxi on St. John.

However, you're going to be on the other side of the island when you go to Mountain Top, so I'd suggest that you stay on St. Thomas and spend some time at Magens (or any other beach that sounds like it would suit you). There's plenty to do on St. Thomas.

To get to Mountain Top (ask for that as your taxi stop if you decide on a taxi), you need a taxi as it's nowhere near the cruise piers (either ones). Even if it was close by, you'd be walking up 1,500 ft--Not a great use of your port time, IMO. (Be sure to have a banana daquiri as I hear they're fabulous up there.) We went up to Paradise Point, which was very lovely. I'd love to go to Mountain Top next time.

I can't help you with Cardow Jewelers because we don't typically shop much. I'm sure others will be able to help.

You could certainly rent a car to give you flexibility. Just a few words of caution: They drive on the left side of the road, the roads are really twisty/turny, and the locals seem to drive somewhat (how to put this?) frenetically.

(Be sure to hop over to the St. Martin board and scan the forum for titles with "Maho" or "Sunset Beach Bar" or "airplanes". It's a subject that comes up often, so there are always active threads about it.)

beachchick

Thanks everyone for your help! I really appreciate it so much!!!

Beachchic - thanks for the tips! I love knowing the little things that you all know. So, they are more than welcome! Keep em coming!

Archived