Proper attire question

rs12065

We just returned from an eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Celebrity Millenium. Most of our previous cruises have been on Princess Grand class ships. While we always looked forward to dressing up on formal evenings (tux for me, gown for my wife). it suddenly hit me on this last cruise as to what the heck I was doing. Dressing up in the tropics? If I went to an all inclusive resort on a Caribbean island the most formal clothing would be khakis and a cool Hawaiin shirt, and if really lazy neat khaki shorts instead.

So, my question....with NCL's Freestyle dining and more laid back ambiance, would I be out of place and frowned upon if my "formal" attire on a "formal" evening consisted of freshly pressed khaki pants and a Tommy Bahama shirt?

And I would wear my best flip flops.

We just returned from an eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Celebrity Millenium. Most of our previous cruises have been on Princess Grand class ships. While we always looked forward to dressing up on formal evenings (tux for me, gown for my wife). it suddenly hit me on this last cruise as to what the heck I was doing. Dressing up in the tropics? If I went to an all inclusive resort on a Caribbean island the most formal clothing would be khakis and a cool Hawaiin shirt, and if really lazy neat khaki shorts instead.

So, my question....with NCL's Freestyle dining and more laid back ambiance, would I be out of place and frowned upon if my "formal" attire on a "formal" evening consisted of freshly pressed khaki pants and a Tommy Bahama shirt?

And I would wear my best flip flops.

you certainly can wear what makes you happy. Yes, there will be a very few truely in formal or even semi formal attire, but no one will stare at you except maybe to admire how nice you look. I will say, you are going to see only about 1/2 dozen tuxes, a few nice suits, a few more sport coats. Gals will wear after 5 dresses in some cases, and sun dresses in other cases. Couples still like to get their pictures taken all dolled up, so feel free to do what you want.

Nita

The khakis and Tommy Bahama would fit right in. As for flip-flops, I think they're a bit too casual for evening, but that's just me. Many pax wear them and no one pays much attention. As long as they're your "best" ones and not the cheapo red rubber ones, you'll be fine. (Here's a weird one for you: On PoH, the dress requests listed the usual basics of "resort casual" in the restaurants and dining rooms with long pants and collared shirts for the gentlemen and pants/capris/skirts with nice tops or sundresses for the ladies. So far, so good. Then it had "no sandals" specifically listed. Excuse me? No sandals in Hawaii? Give me a break! What am I supposed to wear with my sundress and wrap? Sneakers? Hiking shoes? Stockings and heels? Dumb!)

We're with you about dressing formally in the tropics. I know many feel that we're not "really" in the tropics, but are on the ship, so we must adhere to the so-called traditional formal attire. Yeah, well, I'm no shorts and a t-shirt at dinner chick, but I don't enjoy schlepping all the extras for formal nights either. Even with a rental tux when my DH just couldn't bear to pack his yet again, we have all my stuff and his tux accessories and formal shoes. We really enjoyed being able to pack nice, but not formal, clothing without being shooed away from the various dining venues. (I hate it when people say, "Well, you can always go to the buffet or upcharge restaurants" on lines such as RCI because it's not an equivalent dining experience.)

Anyway, you'll fit right in. We saw couples dressed up in cocktail attire every night; we saw many, many pax dressed as we were in resort casual every evening; we saw plenty of people at the buffet and Blue Lagoon in shorts and t-shirts. No worries.

beachchick

Archived