Underwater camera

cruisin 07

I bought the Olympus Stylis 720 about 2 years ago and love it. The battery lasts a good while, it's very small and easy to carry, and I can also use it underwater for snorkeling. No additional housing needed. Olympus came out with some new ones since I bought mine, and you can go to their website to check them out. Here's a picture I took while snorkeling in Mexico.

080-1.jpg.b021fac7b0c20a3ce706c6a44b8cb7b0.jpg

I bought the Olympus Stylis 720 about 2 years ago and love it. The battery lasts a good while, it's very small and easy to carry, and I can also use it underwater for snorkeling. No additional housing needed. Olympus came out with some new ones since I bought mine, and you can go to their website to check them out. Here's a picture I took while snorkeling in Mexico.

[ATTACH]70755[/ATTACH]

No matter what camera you buy, you need to practice alot with it. Like a couple hundred shots. Water distorts and absorbs light, you can't just hold your breath and freeze, critters move, and etc. Practice, practice, practice. Might even consider an U/W Photography class?

Need advice on a good, not very expensive camera and a good web site to purchase one. I don't do all that much diving (only on vacations). Thanks

I got the "Intova IC500 5.0MP Underwater Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom and 2.4" LCD" from Buy.com for $86. Comes with a housing that they say is good to 130 ft. It seems pretty good (for an under a $100 camera), should work better than the disposables....Taking it on our cruise in March, so can't tell yet how the photos come out. Definately a "starter underwater camera".

I like having a good point-and-shoot for land use with a housing for below. The Canon PowerShot A620 suits me just fine, and even has an underwater light setting in the menus. The Canon WP-DC90 housing is very good, and includes a flash diffuser to help reduce backscatter. After using it for awhile, you may want to upgrade to an external strobe, like the SeaLife SL960D that works with just about any camera out there.

Like DiveMaster says, you'll need to practice a lot to get good shots. That's the great thing about digital cameras. You can't take too many shots.

Here's a shot taken using just the camera flash.

DSC02004.jpg.808713c8f2bb8cfc39d09769c19fdf35.jpg

We bought the Olympus 770 SW last summer. We really researched the prices and found the bet deal in St. Thomas (the accessories that came with it, really made it a better deal). We love this camera! It takes great pictures underwater and it is so much fun to use underwater when there are lots of intersting things to look at. It can go up to 33 ft. deep.

Prior to having the Olympus, I bought the Aquapac (do a google search for Aquapac). (I don't know if I am allowed to post the exact website.) It is a flexible case that is designed to fit any camera (they have several different sizes). It worked great, but it was hard to change modes through the case. However, it did take great picuters, and never leaked, and it was really affordable at around 30 dollars.

I hope this helps.

Hi,

I too have the Canon Powershot A620 (7 megapixels). I do a lot of underwater photography with it and the pictures come out great. Not only do I use it with the Canon underwater enclosure but it makes a great surface camera (with an inexpensive adaptor I have third party 2x zoom and wide angle lenses for top side cruise photography as well). Last time I checked the camera was under $200. You can check out some underwater pictures from the camera at my website: http://www.randallgamby.com (any of the top galleries from 2006 on have been taken with the camera).

Randall

I will second (or third) the idea of a Canon with a housing. I recommend the A series since it is a bit bigger for underwater handling/viewing. I have been using one for about four years. This combo is a great above and below water combination for vactions. When/if you get more serious about your undewater pics you can get an external flash and your pics will be even better!

Need advice on a good, not very expensive camera and a good web site to purchase one. I don't do all that much diving (only on vacations). Thanks

Agree with folks about the canon A series, I have an A620 with a canon housing, pictures I've taken can be seen on our website, http://www.salvavidascuba.com All the picutres were taken with my camera, some with an external strobe. I also have an A610 and Canon housing I'd be willing to part with, the set-up is less than six months old and is my back-up but I've not really used it much other than a pool session or two shooting some video clips. If you're interested in something like that, email me through our website and I can work something out for you.

Last summer we purchased the Olympus 770SW for our Tahiti trip. At the time we were only snorkelers, so being rated to 33 ft. was fine. The camera was actually taken down to 60 ft. in Bora Bora by one of the natives on our excursion to capture a close up of the lemon sharks on the bottom and it had no problems.

We have since become certified to scuba dive and just purchased the underwater housing good to 130 ft to use on deeper dives. It will be used on our upcoming cruise where we will dive in Bonaire. It seems that one good thing about having this set up is that if the housing were to leak for some reason, the camera is still waterproof on it's own!

It's been a great camera and the size is perfect for vacations IMHO. All of the pictures from our Tahiti trip were taken with the 770. You can view these below.

Last summer we purchased the Olympus 770SW for our Tahiti trip. At the time we were only snorkelers, so being rated to 33 ft. was fine. The camera was actually taken down to 60 ft. in Bora Bora by one of the natives on our excursion to capture a close up of the lemon sharks on the bottom and it had no problems.

We have since become certified to scuba dive and just purchased the underwater housing good to 130 ft to use on deeper dives. It will be used on our upcoming cruise where we will dive in Bonaire. It seems that one good thing about having this set up is that if the housing were to leak for some reason, the camera is still waterproof on it's own!

It's been a great camera and the size is perfect for vacations IMHO. All of the pictures from our Tahiti trip were taken with the 770. You can view these below.

We have the Olympus 770SW and have been very happy with it. Where did you get the housing and how much did it cost?

Thank you.

Debbie,

We found it online at 17th Street Photo and paid $199.89 + 10.75 shipping. That was the best price I found and about $100 cheaper than the Olympus price. However, Olympus has discontinued the UW housing just recently, so if you're interested in purchasing it, don't wait too long because the price will go way up on ebay later if it's even available. I just bought it on Feb. 11th.

Marcia

Hi,

I also should mention that the Canon Powershot A-series cameras usually take 4-AA batteries. The advantage of this as a dive camera is if your batteries start fading, you can always find a set of batteries to keep it going (no proprietary battery packs). Something to think about if you go somewhere where chargers aren't available or you've been traveling all day before diving. :)

Randall

Hi,

I also should mention that the Canon Powershot A-series cameras usually take 4-AA batteries. The advantage of this as a dive camera is if your batteries start fading, you can always find a set of batteries to keep it going (no proprietary battery packs). Something to think about if you go somewhere where chargers aren't available or you've been traveling all day before diving. :)

Randall

That's what the "A" stands for in the series. ;)

Concur with all the Canon fans. We use a Canon Powershot SD600 with housing. Have been VERY pleased with photos and battery life. Although cameras that use standard batteries seem convenient, the ones we've had in the past absolutely EAT those AA's. The SD600 has battery enough for a typical day in port for us which includes two dives-taking stills and video, topside pics and video, downloading the pics to the laptop at the end of the day, and often pre-dinner pics. At that point we just pop the battery into the small charger that comes with the camera and re-charge overnight.

see sxamples of stills and video at http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

Hi Crusin 07,

Like the others, I have a Canon A620 with the Canon housing WPDC90. I have no complaints about the unit! The battery life is excellent, and with a 1 gig card you have room for like 300 + pictures at max resolution. I am planning on buying the new Ikelight strobe AF35 in the summer. The internal strobe is OK, but too much back scatter. I UW feature on the Canon's does a fairly good job figuring things out. Good luck!!

Archived