Aquanauts (3-5yr old) questions

rainbow08

We will be boarding Navigator next week, and I'm happy to see they offer some activities for kids 3-5 years old, as my son can take advantage of that.

However, I do have some questions that I don't find answer on their website --

1. Do they maintain a ratio between caregiver and children for Aquanauts?

2. Do they have a way to contact parents after we drop off the child there? If yes, how? I noticed them even offer service on shore excursion days.

3. Last but not least, are they safe and secure? Will there be any chance for a curious/sneaky child to run out without people noticing that (or do some other silly things)? This is why I ask about ratio between teacher and child, as I'm afraid an upset child gets all the attention, and nobody watches the rest of the group.

For those of you haven't heard about Aquanauts, here is the link from RCI about this play group for preschool kids --

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/experiencetype/experience/home.do;jsessionid=00001NgmTQVDNAGrcNtsc75Zw12:12hdhua36?br=R&exCode=65

Thanks!

My younger son was in aquanots on Liberty in November. The door to the room is blocked by a gate/net and the little guys cannot get over it w/o help so they are secure. I think the staff shifts depending on the number of kids, but I know my guy was very happy to be there. He's at the older end of the spectrum (will be 6 in July and in Kindy now) so he's really able to tell anyone what he wants or express himself if there is a problem.

As for getting to you, you get a phone that can be used on the ship. You carry it with you and they call you on it if there is a problem. These work only on the ship and between other phones they have on the ship. If they need you, they can get you.

If your little one is used to being in a group setting (preschool or activity group) he'll be fine for a bit with them. My son didn't want to go (unless it was the night we had Chops ressies) but he ended up there every single night and had a ton of fun. Came back 1 night all face painted like a lion, had a pirate parade another night, watched a movie once, all good stuff. Oh, almost forgot...they also put a bracelet on them when they enter that has something that makes a beeping noise if they try to get out w/o it being removed. So they can't just wanted off.

Aquanauts is part of Adventure Ocean, the childrens' program available on all RCCL ships.

Our grandson loved the program on Majesty. The children were very well supervised and while I don't know the exact ratio, I doubt that all the counselors will run enmasse to the aid of one child who is upset. I would think the ratio would depend upon how many children are enrolled in the program on any particular cruise.

On the ship, parents are given a beeper for this age group sothat they can contact you if need be. We did not leave our grandson onboard if we were off the ship, so I can't help there.

Children have to be signed in and out by an authorized adult at the door, so unless the child is VERY sneaky, I don't think there is much of a chance that he/she could "escape".

Our grandson absolutely loved the program as I said. We had to pry him away from it every time it was time to leave.

I would also suggest that you post your concerns over on the family board where you will probably get more input. Have a great cruise!

Thank you both so much for your quick reply, and great to know your kid/grandkid loved that place! I sure hope my son will enjoy that too, so my husband and I can go watch shows like 'Quest'!

Another question, do they really operate during the hours listed on the website? --

At Sea: 9 a.m. to noon, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., and 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

In Port: Thirty minutes prior to the first shore excursion to 5 p.m. or return of last shore excursion, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

And which deck/area is this located? If we need to use this service, we just need to show up, right? I am visioning this time next week he is having fun with other kids there :D

My DS just turned three in January and we have the next NOS Western Cruise after yours. He plays well - but in a strange environment I am concerned that he will be upset. He is also "borderline trained" could we get away with pull up even though they say no? We assumed all would be great when we booked this last summer. You know what they say about assumming!

The link for the Aquanots Activities are in my signature. Just click on the link, then on the left click on RCCL Adventure Ocean, then go to PAGE 2. The activities that my daughter (age 3) went to on Freedom will be generally the same. So my pages will give you a good idea of what they do.

They are VERY safe.

You will have a beeper (cell phone on newer ships) to be contacted if there is a problem.

The ratio that I noticed is about 2-3 counselors at any given time for the 3-5 year old group.

He is also "borderline trained" could we get away with pull up even though they say no?

Nope, not a chance :(

If they notice he is in a pull-up he will be removed. And if he has an accident, you have to sign a paper for each accident...he is given a strike...3 strikes and he's out. :(

There is a recent thread about this on the Family Board. Just look over there..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Crusinmama is right. They wouldn't even help our son pull up his pants. So, we dropped in frequently to make bathroom breaks so there wouldn't be any problems.

He loved AO and I thought that they did an excellent job! We're a bit on the overprotective side but felt extremely comfortable. As I said, we dropped in frequently and not a single time did we feel uncomfortable with anything that was happening.

It was rather difficult for us when he wanted to go to AO instead of going whale watching (in Boston) with us! Luckily, when we went over to AO that morning, other kids had not shown up yet and he decided to go with us.

Please please do not check a child in who is not 100% potty trained.

They are not equipped nor licenced to deal with bathroom issues, and it can be messy and nasty for the rest of the kids that are trained. My 3 year old sails with us next month, and I made darn sure that he was trained in time (thank you lord, going on 5 months no accidents....):D

And pleeeeease don't sneak swimmy diapers into the pool either, there are health reasons why they are not allowed.

If your child isn't reasy for AO this time, there's always next time.:) You can always use an in room babysitter instead, that's what I did last time when mine was only 2.

Please please do not check a child in who is not 100% potty trained.

Agreed. But what is 100% potty trained? I would consider a child that doesn't have "accidents" and tells you when he needs to go to be potty to be "trained". However, RC believes that potty trained also includes pulling up pants and buttoning too. And it really is difficult for kids to have to wait when they need to go. So I find it a bit ridiculous for them to be told that they have to wait for an extended amount of time.

And it really is difficult for kids to have to wait when they need to go. So I find it a bit ridiculous for them to be told that they have to wait for an extended amount of time.

I'm a bit confused about this statement. :confused: There is a washroom right in the 3-5 year old area. If your child needs to go...he just goes!

My son loves the program. His first attempt was not successful (I think part of it was the ship and the space....pretty open & empty). He was o.k. when we dropped him off, but then started crying. They tried to comfort him and he was o.k. when they were with him. But as they explained to us when they beeped us to come get him (and I fully understand and agree)...they can't spend all their time soothing 1 child.

We're now at the familiar point that other parents have....trying to get them out!:D

I'm a bit confused about this statement. :confused: There is a washroom right in the 3-5 year old area. If your child needs to go...he just goes!

Sorry for the confusion. I got this thread mixed up with another on the Family board where there was a discussion about when kids are out and about the ship with AO (ie: walks, treasure hunts, pirate parade, etc.).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=717360

It is RC's policy to not let them go to the bathroom when they are out and about. In this case, kids were out for something like 2 hours. One had to go, was told to wait and subsequently had an accident.

Archived