Can't decide! Discover scuba in Grand Cayman, Roatan, or Belize?

H20life

Cruising on the Carnival Valor in April (ports: GC, Roatan, Belize, & Cozumel) and looking to do Discover Scuba course/dive in one port. I have done the Discover scuba thing several times, but my BF will be trying it for the 1st time. Hopefully after this trip we'll be able to get certified! I can't talk my BF into more than one dive, and due to time constraints, have decided that if we do Discover Scuba in Roatan or Belize, we'd need to go with the ship's operator. I had wanted to do the stingrays in GC and dive in either Belize or Roatan, but am wondering weather we should dive there so that we can book independently? Help, I can't decide!

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Grand Cayman - Eden Rock Discover Scuba class $85

or Stingray/Snorkel Catamaran trip $39

Roatan - Carnival's operator (Anthony's Key) $122 or snorkeling (?)

Belize - Carnival's operator (Dive Connection/Hugh Parkey) $128 or Carnival's Turneffe snorkel excursion $74

Cozumel - Eagle Ray's 3 stop snorkel tour $68 (if I'm lucky, maybe I can talk BF into a dive here)

Thanks in advance!

Stingrays in Cayman, try the dive in Cozumel (although I'm no fan of Experience/Intro/Discover classes in open water). Roatan has more sharkies than Cozumel, although mostly small fry.

Cruising on the Carnival Valor in April (ports: GC, Roatan, Belize, & Cozumel) and looking to do Discover Scuba course/dive in one port. I have done the Discover scuba thing several times, but my BF will be trying it for the 1st time. Hopefully after this trip we'll be able to get certified! I can't talk my BF into more than one dive, and due to time constraints, have decided that if we do Discover Scuba in Roatan or Belize, we'd need to go with the ship's operator. I had wanted to do the stingrays in GC and dive in either Belize or Roatan, but am wondering weather we should dive there so that we can book independently? Help, I can't decide!

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Grand Cayman - Eden Rock Discover Scuba class $85

or Stingray/Snorkel Catamaran trip $39

Roatan - Carnival's operator (Anthony's Key) $122 or snorkeling (?)

Belize - Carnival's operator (Dive Connection/Hugh Parkey) $128 or Carnival's Turneffe snorkel excursion $74

Cozumel - Eagle Ray's 3 stop snorkel tour $68 (if I'm lucky, maybe I can talk BF into a dive here)

Thanks in advance!

Funny you should mention this.......

My DW and I will be on the Valor in April too. We also are looking into discover diving at one of these 4 ports. We were thinking Eden Rock in Cayman, but I recall that there is a ship wreck in 30ft of water there and one of the dive operators does a discover dive to the wreck. I am having toruble finding the operator now (should have bookmarked the page!).

Does anyone know which operator it might be? I agree the current in Cozumel is strong. We snorkeled there before. However, we were thinking of Cayman or Cozumel for our dives because we've never been to Belize or Roatan. We've been to Cayman and Cozumel twice each.

If anyone can find the dive operator in Cayman, PLEASE PLEASE post it here.

Thanks

Joe

JoeU - I see we are on the same sailing!

I saw this Discover Scuba/Wreck of the Cali

http://www.shoretrips.com/common/search4.asp?tcode=002211

Doesn't say who the operator is. I have heard good things about Divers Down.

I did a Discover Scuba dive in Roatan through Luna Beach Resort and loved it. I would repeat with them, but my BF is nervous about not having time since the ship is only in Roatan 11-6. He doesn't want to stress about missing the ship, so if we dive in Roatan, we're going to have to go through Carnival.

I've also done a Discover Scuba dive in Cozumel through Eagle Ray. I don't think the current was that big of a problem, but it might be easier without it. The one dive I did with them from the shore was so-so. The second one I did was from a boat and I was with all certified divers. We went out to a wall that started about 40 down and then dropped off (I stayed away from the drop off). I saw some really giant fish, sea turtles, etc., but I think that dive might have been a little scary if it was my first time.

So, I'm still thinking Grand Cayman, Roatan, or Belize. My BF has never seen the stingrays, so I'm thinking we should do that in Cayman, though he says he doesn't really care about seeing them (I'm hoping he will enjoy it more than he thinks).

I haven't dove Roatan, but have been to both Belize and Cayman. For a Discover Scuba, I would recommend Cayman. I think most dive sites are a little more controlled, less current, better depth range. The diving in both places is wonderful.

Several Discover Scuba classes, shame on you! Get certified and have more fun!

Enjoy your trip, enjoy your dives.

I haven't dove Roatan, but have been to both Belize and Cayman. For a Discover Scuba, I would recommend Cayman. I think most dive sites are a little more controlled, less current, better depth range. The diving in both places is wonderful.

Several Discover Scuba classes, shame on you! Get certified and have more fun!

Enjoy your trip, enjoy your dives.

Thanks for your input Wspinelli.

I know! I need to get certified!!! There is a PADI course being offered at my gym's pool by a local company that I want to take... My BF is just worried about shelling out more money to get certified now after just spending a lot to book the cruise. I keep going back and forth about whether or not to do it before the trip or wait until summer. I'm not crazy about check out dives in a Maryland quary, but maybe we go do that part on the trip... hmm...

This is the response from Divers Down FYI:

Good Morning Joe,

Thank you for your inquiry into diving with Divers Down. We offer an introductory Discover Scuba Dive three times daily for those who are interested in exploring the underwater world for the first time. Participants must be a minimum of 10yrs of age, be in good health (required to fill out a medical questionnaire prior to enrollment), and be comfortable in the water.

The Discover Scuba Dive consists of a briefing in the classroom on the basics of Scuba Diving, then instruction on some skills required in the shallow water off the beach. The course finishes with a guided dive from the instructor on the Wreck of the Cali which is 20-30 ft deep.

We take a maximum of 4 students per instructor so groups are very small and personal. The price for this dive is US$100 per person and includes all required equipment, instruction and one dive. The experience takes approximately 2 hrs and starts at 9 am, 11 am and 1 pm local island time at our shop in George Town which is a very short walk from the Cruise Ship Terminals.

If you successfully complete the 9 am class you are qualified to make an addditional 1-tank dive to either Stingray City or a reef. These dives can be added on for a special combo price of an additional $75 US. These dives return around 3 pm so please make note of your tender time back to the ship.

Please feel free to e-mail me any questions or if you would like to go ahead and confirm a reservation with a credit card call us at 1.345.945.1611.

Look forward to diving with you soon!

With Regards,

Divers Down

Reservations Dept.

Grand Cayman

Archived