To hire a van or use taxis...

Maddy

I'm sorry, I dont know the cost of the taxis, but you might be able to find it on their tourism page.

We hired a driver through victor bodden for $20/person for the entire day. We went to south shore (its amazing, you'll love it), and then to a beach, and then driving around sightseeing all day. It was worth the money. I think it took us like 30 minutes to get to south shore.

We're renting a car through Best Car Rentals (located at the cruise ship terminal) for $70/day. We'd originally booked Victor Bodden, after reading such good things about him, but I like the idea of having a vehicle all to ourselves. With a good map and a little bit of research prior to the cruise, we'll be all set to go anywhere we want. :)

Not sure of the taxi prices but we hired a van for the day (9 of us) for $20 per person. It was certainly the way to go. We used Roatan Cab Tours (Cinthia and Diane). We were able to see so much of the island than if we were on our own. Enjoy your trip - it's a beautiful island.

We're renting a car through Best Car Rentals (located at the cruise ship terminal) for $70/day. We'd originally booked Victor Bodden, after reading such good things about him, but I like the idea of having a vehicle all to ourselves. With a good map and a little bit of research prior to the cruise, we'll be all set to go anywhere we want. :)

JMO, but when we first visited Roatan 3 years ago, had we rented a car and toured the island on our own I don't think we would have had nearly as fullfilling a experience as having our own personal tour guide for the day who gave us history about the island, took is into a few of the local stores and translated for us while we did a little shopping, stopped and talked to some children on the side of the road (she translated), etc, etc. I'm sure we would have had a great time even if we toured the island on our own but by touring it on your own I can't help but think you're going to miss that something "extra" (if that makes any sense!!:o ).

Have fun no matter what you decide!!

JMO, but when we first visited Roatan 3 years ago, had we rented a car and toured the island on our own I don't think we would have had nearly as fullfilling a experience as having our own personal tour guide for the day who gave us history about the island, took is into a few of the local stores and translated for us while we did a little shopping, stopped and talked to some children on the side of the road (she translated), etc, etc. I'm sure we would have had a great time even if we toured the island on our own but by touring it on your own I can't help but think you're going to miss that something "extra" (if that makes any sense!!:o ).

Have fun no matter what you decide!!

Jeanne,

I totally understand what you're saying! We might not have even considered going out on our own except that I have a co-worker who owns property on the island, and who has friends who work at the hospital there. So I've got detailed instructions and people to call, if we need something, once we get there. We've heard such great things about Roatan that we've contaced a realtor and may even look at property while we're there...something I don't know that we'd be able to with a hired driver. (And, we're just kind of "do our own thing" travelers! ;)

Have fun on your cruise! Are you doing Western or Eastern Caribbean? I'm counting down the days 'til May 11th...it's been a long winter in the Pacific Northwest!

• 3 weeks later...

$20 per day, per person. And the taxis are small compact sedans. Can carry four passengers, max -- with three in the back seat, one in the front. And three adults in the back seat of a Corolla, or Focus, is cramped. There are some mini vans that may accomodate six passengers, but not many. Just take two taxis -- costs the same (or less), than one van -- if you can even get a van. No town cars, or crown vics -- little 4 cylinder, four door models.

Archived