What to wear to a Luau?

Sea Island Lady

The first time I went to Hawaii (some 30+ years ago:eek: ) a tour guide on the bus from the airport welcomed us to the Islands, told the men to lose their ties (remember, we use to dress up to fly), and HANG LOOSE! The same is true today. I have found the islands as a rule are very casual. Don't stress about what to wear.

Now, that being said, in today's world some of the exclusive resorts and hotels frown at shorts at dinner and prefer the gentlemen to wear long pants. But everywhere else, shorts and aloha shirts are perfectly acceptable. Eee Gads! it's Hawaii y'all!!! If you can wear aloha wear and shorts there, where could you wear it!!??!!

JUST MY OPINION, AND I'M STICKING TO IT! :D

Shorts is fine. Casual pants are fine. Not too many people will be in any form of jeans though...so casual doesnt mean sloppy.

Most people wear some sort of Aloha Wear....a floral shirt, outfit or casual dress. When we go, we normally wear a casual dress for me and a pair of light colored dress shorts and aloha shirt for my husband. It seems most do that.

I agree with all the comments here -especially the one about elastic! ha ha Seriously, aloha shirts and shorts and a Hawaiian dress for women is the way to go, cool and comfortable. The dresses are made to allow the island breeze to flow thru, hence the large, roomy fit - you will be glad. If there is a chance that you are seated on a mat, you may be more comfortable in pants, but mentioned earlier, leave the jeans home. Or dont sit up front, sit at a table and wear a muu muu!

If there is a chance that you are seated on a mat, you may be more comfortable in pants

Good point!...But if you go to Paradise Cove as you mentioned, you're at a table. The only comfort in pants there is during the before-dinner activities they have but I wore a dress and did just fine. I am not sure about Germaines.

I have another reason that pants are desireable (or even better, capris)!

The tropical heat and all the vacation walking can cause your thighs to rub together and if you have any extra "padding" or fluffiness shall we say, then it can be like a flamethrower! I am cracking up - but it is true, the friction that can be happening down there would make any Survivor happy! Powder can really help - but a short break with capri pants can be a godsend! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived