Independence/ Idol cruises

PantherFan

• 2 weeks later...
How do you think this "IDOL" thing impact the cruise in general. I don't mind the idea of it but, do you think it will disrupt the WHOLE cruise or just have a few performers singing at night?

I am booked Christmas week 12/21-12/27 so my guess lots of teenage fans running around. I have done holiday weeks before and know they will be crowded.

I doubt the performers will disrupt the cruise at all...I just hate those unsupervised "tweens" running around pushing elevator buttons etc...:eek:

You know what is hilarious about this ... whenever we watch Idol we pick out which ones we figure will be singing on a cruise ship at some point in the future.

Some of them are so cheesy that you can imagine them as a Cruise Director or lead singer in the "Hoppin' Hits of the '00's" show we'll be watching on the ship in 10 years.

Sounds like someone sent out a press release prematurely. If you click though from the NY Times article to the RCL Idol web site, it says to check back for more information and that "no agreement has been finalized" with American Idol.

As for future CDs, does Justin Guarini have a job yet? :D

I wonder if some of the folks here who complain about the American Idol cruises are under the impression that the perfectly AWFUL singers who audition but are turned down will be the singers who appear on the ship.

It is my understanding that the singers will be chosen from some of the Top Twelve or better singers. Many of those are quite good. They aren't all like Sanjaya. Also I assume they will often be singing in a group much of the time or in other configurations such as duets. That way the stronger singers can carry the weaker ones, if, indeed, any are weak singers.

I really can't imagine the AI singers will be as bad as so many people imagine. I'm sure many will be on a par or better than the regular cruise ship production show singers.

I don't think people are worried about the quality of the Idol singers so much as the size and obnoxiousness of the group that wants to see them. Idol seems to attract a lot of screamers and fanatics, doesn't it?

I don't think people are worried about the quality of the Idol singers so much as the size and obnoxiousness of the group that wants to see them. Idol seems to attract a lot of screamers and fanatics, doesn't it?

But then again the holiday weeks are $$$ so, it may weed out some:)

Funny how you are saying the agreement hasn't been finalized. I think it would be neat of RCL to have AI on it's new ship IOS, great promotion.

I personally don't care if they are on or not, I don't watch the show and am not a fan and that is not why I booked and I rarely go to the shows anyway.

But some people do expect "higher" quality entertainment on the largest cruise ship in the world and I certainly don't blame them for thinking that.

Maybe I'm a screamer, and maybe I'm not....:rolleyes: :D

But some people do expect "higher" quality entertainment on the largest cruise ship in the world and I certainly don't blame them for thinking that.

By "higher quality" what is meant? Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson (an Oscar wiinner), Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia are all Platinum-selling artists and some have won Grammies. Daughtry had last year's highest selling CD on the Billboard charts. These singers are definitely higher achieving than any I have seen on thirteen cruises on Royal Caribbean.

Of course, I imagine none of these will be on the AI cruises. But even AI's second tier singers stack up very well against the regular production show singers. Melinda Doolittle would be an asset to any RCI production show.

So much negativity about the production show performers. Of course I'm

partial because my daughter is a singer on the Explorer and she's an excellant performer. I'm sure I will get "blasted" for this but if prodution shows aren't your "cup of tea" then don't go. Those kids work very hard at what they do. It's also a very good stepping stone for their futures. My

daughter had performed in Branson,MO for two seasons prior to the cruise

ship. She was first on the Adventure of the Seas and then was offered a job on the Explorer. She has also been in several plays and musicals. I highly doubt she would have done as much as she has if she was not talented. Some people really enjoy the production shows and some don't,

I think it's like anything else, it all depends on one's taste.

Okay, let the bashing begin!!!

I am sure that the quality of the singers will be good. I am just concerned that this will not turn into American Idol everywhere you turn on the ship. I was on the Navigator last year at the same time and there were alot of kids (mostly well behaved). I think our sailing is selling quite well at this point, I just hope we don't have alot of screaming tweens.

I for one would welcome the AI finalists as entertainers on any of my cruises. My family and I have very much enjoyed watching AI thoughout the years - at least it's one program we can watch without worrying about inappropriate content!

Dani's Mom - you should be very proud of your daughter - I would be! I think the RCI shows are better than any I've seen on Disney or NCL. I guess there are others who feel differently? Oh well, to each his own!

By "higher quality" what is meant? Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson (an Oscar wiinner), Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia are all Platinum-selling artists and some have won Grammies.

No, I wasn't meaning those people--I seriously doubt they would perform on a cruise ship anytime soon..

I have seen some really good RCL shows and I know the RCL folks are very talented. But a big name doesn't hurt......Osmond Brothers, Charo, Nelson twins etc.... yeah, I do expect talent.....boo me if you will but, these are RCL's top of the line new ships and I don't want to go on one to see the last remaining Platter mumble jibberish during the songs. (has happened:eek: )

No, I wasn't meaning those people--I seriously doubt they would perform on a cruise ship anytime soon..

I have seen some really good RCL shows and I know the RCL folks are very talented. But a big name doesn't hurt......Osmond Brothers, Charo, Nelson twins etc.... yeah, I do expect talent.....boo me if you will but, these are RCL's top of the line new ships and I don't want to go on one to see the last remaining Platter mumble jibberish during the songs. (has happened:eek: )

I saw that performance too! Yuck!:rolleyes: What a yawner of a show.

Archived