Unsold Cabins

jcmimm

Does Holland American ever offer "last minute deals" on unsold cabins or cabins made available by cruise cancellations. How does one make a request or is there a standby list you can register for? Also is there a standby list for

sold out cabin categorys if they become available?

You can also create a profile on HAL's website (at least you could with the old site) and indicate there your interest in last-minute cruises ... and from which port(s) you'd want to use. They would then let you know of last-minute bargains.

You can also create a profile on HAL's website (at least you could with the old site) and indicate there your interest in last-minute cruises ... and from which port(s) you'd want to use. They would then let you know of last-minute bargains.

I filled out all the information several times, and have never received any e-mails for the southern California ports.

Karen

HAL discourages last minute bookings. On the other hand Carnival and Princess allow same-day boarding. I'm not sure about the other lines.

David

Is that their current policy?

I was under the impression that, due to U.S. gov't security concerns and regulations, it is no longer possibble to go that last minure.

It's possible, you just have to be very "lucky" that there is space available.

Most ships are completely sold out months in advance.

I know of some cases where cabins have been booked the night before or even as late as 10am the day of the cruise.

David

You are correct Camp! There are no cruise lines leaving from the US that allow day before, let alone morning of sign ups. Perhaps the other poster misunderstood. A stateroom change might be possible, but not the purchase of a ticket. Not since new laws were written after 9/11.

Perhaps leaving from ports out of the U.S., but NOT here.

So then when do they actually close out inventory and not "allow" more bookings? I'm just curious. I've been keeping an eye on my sailing and there had been openings in every single CAT. It looks like they just closed out all the insides and outsides in the past week or so. The 3 sailings before mine are showing N/A in all CATs now (I'm about 5 weeks out). So if I had a friend who decided to come on my sailing, they could no longer book a cheaper cabin?

So then when do they actually close out inventory and not "allow" more bookings? I'm just curious. I've been keeping an eye on my sailing and there had been openings in every single CAT. It looks like they just closed out all the insides and outsides in the past week or so. The 3 sailings before mine are showing N/A in all CATs now (I'm about 5 weeks out). So if I had a friend who decided to come on my sailing, they could no longer book a cheaper cabin?

None of us really know, we can only speculate and offer anecdotes of what may have happened on one occasion.

Call your travel agent - they deal with his situation on a daily basis.

Notification regarding the passenger manifest can be sent in as late as 60-90 minutes before departure.

HAL does not offer last minute sailings, however Carnival, for instance does. At the pier on the day of sailing there is a list of the available cabins, and how much Carnival is asking for the cruise. I've not seen any noticeable discount, generally about the same price as usual.

David

If you call Holland, and waitlist with a deposit on category you are interested in booking, you will be called if anything opens up. You will have 48 hours to take what they are offering or decline. If nothing works out, they refund your deposit. I just did this today for the May 10, Oosterdam sailing. I am trying to secure an inside room for my sister and brother-in-law.

Archived