Crowds at Hermitage?

sgdg

We just confirmed Alla for a two-day tour in St Petersburg in July. In our original itinerary, we were visiting the Hermitage at 11:00 on a Thursday. When we requested an earlier time (at 9:30), she said there would be an additional charge for the early entry.

For those who have visited the Hermitage, is it worth the extra cost to go early? Are the crowds that bad in mid-day?

Thanks.

We just confirmed Alla for a two-day tour in St Petersburg in July. In our original itinerary, we were visiting the Hermitage at 11:00 on a Thursday. When we requested an earlier time (at 9:30), she said there would be an additional charge for the early entry.

For those who have visited the Hermitage, is it worth the extra cost to go early? Are the crowds that bad in mid-day?

Thanks.

You'll be fine with the 11:00am entry on a Thursday. If it was a Saturday or Sunday, then no. However you should investigate if there are any other ships set to dock in St Petersburg on that day too.

- CWipes

We were there on a Tuesday in August from 9:30am til 1 pm and by 11 am, the museum was very crowded. I don't know if July is any better.

Regardless, I would make the case for early admission. The extra charge is minimal. You will be able to move around much more quickly at that hour as there will be so many fewer people in the museum. You will see more in a shorter period of time (and you will be fresher at that hour).

My advice would be to enter even 11.30 or 12 - after the first wave of groups has gone (they have got more or less the same route); even early entry may not help - sometimes this privileged entry for cruise passengers (separate from other groups or individuals) would be crowded all the morning in case 5-6 ships will be docked in the harbour - while non-privileged individuals will have no line at all... Sometimes it is better to be a little bit less organised in Russia.

Thanks. I checked and noticed that there are couple of other large ships in port that day, however we're probably just going to take our chances. We may, however, take your advice and push off the entry to a little later.

DH & I also toured with Alla last June (terrific!) for 3 strenuous days and had early admission wherever possible. I can tell you that unless you are on a ship that docks on the Neva River in the center of the city it will take 45 minutes to get to the Hermitage at a minimum. It took us 40 minutes in the rain to go 4 blocks and Alla was waiting for us with our early admission (we were docked on the Neva). Alla herself will tell you that the traffic is impossible and when you add the cruise ship tours it is even crazier. I would opt for the early admission so you can get out early. When we left at noon the line of locals waiting to get in standing in the rain stretched forever. I can't imagine that it would be any less crowded if you went at 11I would trust Alla's opinion on this. Everything she told us was true. You'll love the tour-very professional.

We put together a mini-group from our roll call - 8 people with Alla for 2 full days. We selected her "moderate" tour and did move the Hermitage to the first activity of day 2 so that we could have early entrance. On both days, we're off the ship at 7:30AM and return at about 5:30PM. Some of us may add evening events, but we have time to decide. Alla has been extremely helpful and responsive to our wants and concerns.

We put together a mini-group from our roll call - 8 people with Alla for 2 full days. We selected her "moderate" tour and did move the Hermitage to the first activity of day 2 so that we could have early entrance. On both days, we're off the ship at 7:30AM and return at about 5:30PM. Some of us may add evening events, but we have time to decide. Alla has been extremely helpful and responsive to our wants and concerns.

It will probably take an hour to get to SP & the Hermitage so you'll time it perfectly. If you want to take advantage of the "White Nights" then I suggest that you do an evening activity so you can see SP in the late evening as the lights come on (about 11:30 PM or so). The folklore show started at 6:30PM and lasted until about 8 PM & then we went to dinner. We were finished by 11 PM and drove through the city back to the ship. I actually went to bed at midnight and woke up again at 1:30AM to watch the bridges go up over the Neva. I was exhausted the next day for our final day in SP but my philosophy about travel is that I can sleep when I get home! It was so worth it.

We saw your ship in the port outside the city as we were leaving SP. She was docked with the Costa Magica & the Celebrity Constellation and I took some great pictures because it was a beautiful sight.

Archived