Another Nautical Chart query?

Suesancy

This subject really interests me. I wasn't aware of the auction of the charts at all. However my DH is an ex P & O officer, he worked for them for many years and we are about to sail on Sea Princess to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary, one of the charts would be a really great gift for him - but I haven't a clue how these auctions work. Can anyone tell me if I can put a bid in to the auctioneer before the auction - don't think I will be able to go to the auction without DH? Also is the auction the last one of the cruise? Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Regards and happy sailing,

You won't, I think, be able to get in a bid before the auction. Perhaps you could get a friend on the cruise to bid on it for you - get them to put the paperwork in your name, and then sign it on the sly, perhaps. It's usually the last art auction of the cruise - you can always check with the auctioneer during one of his open art periods (where he hangs around his desk to answer questions), and get more details, etc.

Edit - oh, though if your husband checks the account balance on your room, he'll see the extra charges from the art auction - they do show up there (except for the really large amounts), I believe.

The chart auction has always been separate from the art auctions on the cruises I have been on. On our last cruise chart auction was unusual and the Vista Lounge was SRO, out the door and had many crew and staff members attending and betting on the final price...but that was because that cruise had a man overboard situation and the chart showed the search pattern in addition to the cruise itinerary. The final price was also unusual, well over $3000.

Archived