FYI Sovereign review

Travel to Florida: We flew into Jacksonville two nights before the cruise, rented a car then drove to the port. A little bit pricey but worked well for us.

Embarkation: Went very smooth, took about 30 minutes

First impressions: having only sailed Carnival in the past I was actually pleasantly surprised at a more subdued decor. We were welcomed aboard with free flowing rum drinks.

Cabin: first time we ever had an interior room (it was the last cabin left when we booked). the cabin was small but functional. Teen areas/activities: Huge kudos to RCI when it comes to their teen activities. "Fuel" is open all day and our 14 year old son was never at a loss for activities. Dad also really enjoyed the more sports minded activities like dodge ball, basketball and the rock climbing wall. All in all RCI really shines in this category.

Ports of call: We skipped Coco Cay because of the weather. The captain made up for the first skipped day by high-tailing to Nassau where we spent a day and a half. The Captain tried to stop again on the return trip but the seas were too rough. I think they did a fine job of explaining the missed stop to passengers.

Nassau: I had pictured that Nassau would be somewhat like Jamaica (which I didn't care for), my prediction was wrong. Nassau does have pushy street dealers and some unsavory looking people, but I got a total different feel here than what I got in Ocho Rios. We rented a scooter and drove up and down the coast and to Paradise Isle. Lots of fun, but use caution the local drive aggressively. The next day we snorkeled which was beautiful.

Food: Great food, better than past cruises in both quality and presentation. Staff: RCI should be proud of their staff on this ship, I never saw an unhappy face, they treated us great. Cruise Director Casey seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Overview: (I) got a great first impression of RCI from this trip, we are currently planning another in a few weeks.

OOPS.I got my threads mixed up....there is an OLD Sovereign thread going on too,,,,,,,,this one is not old.........

But if the SS has free rum drinks,Im very surprised.........they used to(a few years ago) but then stopped........

So maybe they have started up again??:confused: :confused:

She was the first ship we ever sailed, and we loved her.....so we can't let her leave with out saying Farewell :p We've booked a Cruise for September and even got the same Stateroom we had several years ago :D

Glad you enjoyed the Sovereign. We've cruised her quite a bit over the years and love the old gal. Will be sad to see her leave.:(

the poster said free FLOWING...not free! LOL! Even if it was old I have been sailing 12 years now and never had a free welcome aboard drink!
We have only been cruising with RCCL since 01 and we used to get FREE drinks all the time on the SS as you boarded.......they were Yellowbirds......in fact, they even gave them out free when we took the Serenade to Alaska in 04(which i thought was odd)....Not sure when the last time they did this,but I would say about 3 years??

Does anyone have the recipe for Yellowbirds?

I do......

1 oz. White Rum

3/4 oz Creme de Banana

1/4 oz Galliano

2 oz Pineapple Juice

3/4 oz Orange Juice

Flash blend with shaved ice,pour over ice cubes

Garnish with Orange and Cherry with Umbrella:D

She was the first ship we ever sailed, and we loved her.....so we can't let her leave with out saying Farewell :p We've booked a Cruise for September and even got the same Stateroom we had several years ago :D

When are you going?? We're going the 12th..

We go again over Memorial Day. Will be the last trip on SOS for my DH. I get to go one more time after that when I go with my sisters/friends in August. We will miss her but already have one booked on Monarch, so we will start the new memories.

Around 2002-04 the Sovereign offered SMALL samples of Yellowbirds. It was a nice touch. They were around for a while. There was a table near the clock with non alcoholic punch and yellowbirds. When we cruised later and they were no longer offered, we asked about them and were told that there NEVER were free drink samples. I guess all of us who had them were hallucinating

I do like “free” but “free flowing” is nice too.

M

The water off Nassau was a bit chilly, but being that it was 2 degrees when I left Michigan, anything above 60 I consider balmy LOL, I booked yesterday for the March 13 Grandeur, We were considering NOS leaving on the 15th but it just didnt fit our schedule. I must say I cant wait to head out again !!

Archived