Miracle Passenger Drowns in Costa Rica

toledo

I just realized that no one has posted anything here on this incident. I cross-referenced it with some articles in Minnesota newspapers. Apparently, he was swimming at the main beach, just north of the cruise terminal and was caught in an undercurrent. Undercurrents are common in Costa Rica.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=713724&highlight=miracle+drowned

I find it hard to believe that less than 1% of the passengers are coming off the ship and talking to the locals. If the travel agencies are saying all these things, they'd only be hurting themselves because no one would want to stop in Costa Rica. Costa Rica offers plenty of great eco-tours. I am thankful that someone took the time to remind others about the dangers of swimming in certain areas.

I just spoke to a friend that was travelling with this group. I don't know where they were allowed off the ship, but Carnival was able to get 7 of their group of 13 home before the end of the cruise (not enough seats for all). My friend said that Carnival was VERY gracious for the remainder of their cruise, as she stayed onboard with her family to allow the others to return early. I would hate to post private details of their tragedy, so let me say that it was heartbreaking to talk to her, and please pray for the family of the deceased...not only did he leave a fiance/girlfriend of 7 years, but a two-year old child.

Hello from Costa Rica,

the incident was sad, but also unnecessary. We were just working on a nature conservation project in the Cahuita national park when the incident happened. It was not the main beach north of Limon, from what I heard somebody else died there last year by an undercurrent. The so called Playa Bonita has rocks in the water and strong waves, that can cause rip-currents. Better only enjoy a drink there and go in with your feet only.

The new incident from what we heard from national park staff was that after lunch - never eat and swim - an American man went swimming. Usually when tourists come into the national park, they have to register at the entrance, pay their donation and are being told where it is safe to swim. He was already in the sea when 3 staff members saw him and told him to come out of the water since he went to swim in the zone of the red flags. The zone of the green flags would have been another 300 m to walk. The man felt safe and would not want to come out. And then some current caught him and he drowned.

Like in most national parks in Costa Rica there is not enough staff and finances. So nobody was around that had the training as a rescue swimmer including reanimation. When they managed to get him out of the water, it was too late for help. In rural areas like Cahuita it takes like 1 hour to take somebody to a hospital. The infrastructure is very simple due to the low population density.

Costa Rica has nice beaches and the Caribbean Sea is nice to swim, but many beaches have a strong current. Sometimes the water can look calm, but once you are in there you feel the current. Always listen to qualified guides and national park staff what recommendation they give you. Then you will safe and can enjoy your stay, whether in Cahuita national park or somewhere else.

Hello from Costa Rica,

the incident was sad, but also unnecessary. We were just working on a nature conservation project in the Cahuita national park when the incident happened. It was not the main beach north of Limon, from what I heard somebody else died there last year by an undercurrent. The so called Playa Bonita has rocks in the water and strong waves, that can cause rip-currents. Better only enjoy a drink there and go in with your feet only.

The new incident from what we heard from national park staff was that after lunch - never eat and swim - an American man went swimming. Usually when tourists come into the national park, they have to register at the entrance, pay their donation and are being told where it is safe to swim. He was already in the sea when 3 staff members saw him and told him to come out of the water since he went to swim in the zone of the red flags. The zone of the green flags would have been another 300 m to walk. The man felt safe and would not want to come out. And then some current caught him and he drowned.

Like in most national parks in Costa Rica there is not enough staff and finances. So nobody was around that had the training as a rescue swimmer including reanimation. When they managed to get him out of the water, it was too late for help. In rural areas like Cahuita it takes like 1 hour to take somebody to a hospital. The infrastructure is very simple due to the low population density.

Costa Rica has nice beaches and the Caribbean Sea is nice to swim, but many beaches have a strong current. Sometimes the water can look calm, but once you are in there you feel the current. Always listen to qualified guides and national park staff what recommendation they give you. Then you will safe and can enjoy your stay, whether in Cahuita national park or somewhere else.

Thank you for posting this valuable information which may prevent another tragedy.

Kathy

Hello from Costa Rica,

Thank you - this is great information!

I also thank you for the information. I have never been to Limon but will be going in April on the NCL Sun. I don't think this event Cahuita45 is talking about is the same one as the other tragedy. The man was saving the son of a friend when he was dragged by the undercurrent. It took place at a beach which was within 3 blocks of a hospital. It appears to be a different tragedy than the one mentioned by Cahuita45. Maybe the stories just got mixed up. I read it in the newspaper. In any case it is a massive learning experience for all of us who like to go in the water. I can guarantee you that I will not be venturing in any water in April. The beach yes. Not the water.

• 4 weeks later...
I just spoke to a friend that was travelling with this group. I don't know where they were allowed off the ship, but Carnival was able to get 7 of their group of 13 home before the end of the cruise (not enough seats for all). My friend said that Carnival was VERY gracious for the remainder of their cruise, as she stayed onboard with her family to allow the others to return early. I would hate to post private details of their tragedy, so let me say that it was heartbreaking to talk to her, and please pray for the family of the deceased...not only did he leave a fiance/girlfriend of 7 years, but a two-year old child.

Very sad. His poor family. No one goes on a cruise and expects a problem like this

• 3 months later...

Archived