Back to RCL for good!!!!!

[quote name='smoothy']Well, to play Devil's Advocate, I think the charge is there simply to stop people from taking massive buckets of popcorn and not eating it or using it for popcorn fights, just like the food charge in JR to keep those pesky teenagers from hogging the tables (j/k!) . If they really wanted to make money on the popcorn, they'd have charged $4-5.[/quote]

1. Popcorn should be free!

2. JR should be free! We ate there this summer and it was EMPTY!

3. We traveled in the summer with over 1000 kids and never saw any food throwing or any kids hanging around in JR.

4. The cake thing...jeez...so you laugh it off and say...so much for the surprise! I always whisper those things to the waiters to keep it a surprise. How would they know it is a surprise? On our cruise, I indicated we were celebrating our 15th anniv. and that we wanted a cake, no it was not paid for, we never got it...oh well...no biggie.

5. I am wondering what Carnival nickets and dimes you for besides popcorn.

Thanks!

We just returned from the triumph..
I did notice some differences, but then again you would be comparing apples to oranges..
anyway, the one thing that really stuck out in my mind was on the last night of sailing on the triumph, they closed everything but one bar at around 6pm. They were cleaning and scrubbing everything from top to bottom.. even sectioning things off so you had to find an alternate route if you were walking around.. I never saw that on rccl (I imagine they do the heavy cleaning when people are sleeping). We found it to be quite rude, as if they were saying "ok you had your fun, now you have to leave so we can clean up for the new people coming on in the morning"

anyway.. you do get what you pay for I suppose

[quote name='FanofFlorida']We usually land travel, have cruised RCCL once (loved it) and have not cruised Carnival. I did consider Carnival for the pricing. When deciding to book a cruise again, it was apparent in reviews that people generally preferred RCCL. So, we decided to go with them again, and earn more cruise credits.

After reading this thread, it seems that people take these subjective opinions and comments personally. Should I take it with a grain of salt?

Regarding the author's experience with Carnival: I would be furious if I was questioned by staff DURING dinner about a stupid cake!! She wasnt talking about a spendy bottle of rare wine. The 'right' thing to do would be deliver the cake, and talk over the logistics later, like at check out- I completely agree with cruizinagain.... Yes, people/businesses make mistakes. So, the order was lost- what could they do? DELIVER the cake and work it out later- what could they possibly have to lose? Obviously- a future customer. And to insinuate that she was lying? For that one incident alone, I can completely understand your decision to avoid future cruises with them.

Regarding RCCL: What disturbs me the most is a comment that there seemed to be a 'ranking' - that those on higher decks receive preference onboard. Now, I should be happy, being in a JS on deck 10, but what I cant stand on land tours is touring with snobs. I did not experience this when we were in an inside stateroom on deck 2 last cruise. Should I expect something different on Freedom? Given our suite (sweet) location, will I be camped next to [EMAIL="a#@holes?"]a#@holes?[/EMAIL][/quote]

thank you, FanofFLorida! It's nice to know that someone understands where I am coming from!!

I would not be concerned at all about the "rankings" on RCCL. I did not experience that. Don't let these boards give you a negative feeling. We are all giving our opinions, and as you can see, there are many different ones! You may run across a jerk or two, but you can do that on any cruise line!! Enjoy your cruise!!!!

[quote name='smoothy']Well, to play Devil's Advocate, I think the charge is there simply to stop people from taking massive buckets of popcorn and not eating it or using it for popcorn fights, just like the food charge in JR to keep those pesky teenagers from hogging the tables (j/k!) . If they really wanted to make money on the popcorn, they'd have charged $4-5.[/quote]

I agree with you and again it is all about options. If one does not like the charge then don't buy it. I have no problems with the JR's charge. They have still been doing a great business on the ships that I have sailed and it keeps the place from becoming a teen hangout.

[quote name='smoothy']Well, to play Devil's Advocate, I think the charge is there simply to stop people from taking massive buckets of popcorn and not eating it or using it for popcorn fights, just like the food charge in JR to keep those pesky teenagers from hogging the tables (j/k!) . If they really wanted to make money on the popcorn, they'd have charged $4-5.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, once again we are supposed to anti up and this time it is to keep the kids from having popcorn fights... right. Somehow, some folks have gotten this idea that all these extra charges we pay are to keep the kids under control. Besides, it is being offered in the Sports Bar. That isn't a place for kids to hang out.

If they are not trying to make money with the charge on popcorn then it is nothing more than a nuisance charge.

I don't feel that I should have to run around wasting my valuable time on vacation proving I ordered and paid for things, explaining to various dis-interested staff members that I have a problem I want resolved. I'm not talking about over the top ridiculous requests, just want someone to make a reasonable effort to provide the service I paid for, that they should be taking responsibility for without prodding, and without having to wait in line at some counter proving to a purser or whoever that I'm right.
Does that sound unreasonable? Isn't that what we all want?
It is no wonder people come here frustrated.
I want the cruiselines to do their part of the deal so I can enjoy my vacation that I paid [U]their asking price for[/U], and get what I have contracted for. This sounds like a big gripe, it really isn't, and I understand things go wrong on a cruise that are no one's fault. On another thread I pointed out that most of these little annoyances boil down to a lack of attention to details. IMO a cruise can still be a good vacation value if you can keep your expectations lower and I am priviledged that I am healthy and can afford to travel. One day I will try a higher end cruise and that might be a better fit for me, it seems that the service on the mass market lines is deteriorating.

I think if the cruise lines accurately described what really happens on the ships ( chair hogging for example)instead of painting the picture of a worry free utopia, they would either cruise emptier, or atleast alert cruisers so their expectations are kept in check. Personally I remember and appreciate little things like a free bag of popcorn or a soda, I am less tolerant when I'm paying for something and get grief.

For example If I wanted to look after a birthday cake myself while on vacation I would. If the cruise lines ( not picking on any one as I have seen issues with all cruiselines) offer to provide this service for a fee and a profit they should make every effort do it properly. It shouldn't make any difference if it is a 1, 21 or 91 year olds birthday.

Finally we can come to C.C. and share our experiences ( I love all you crazy cruise critics!) only to be told to suck it up buttercup, or how can someone who can't spell be taken seriously? Again not pointing out anyone, just a general observation.

stepping down for now ;)

[quote=silentbob007;13494981 On the other hand, I'm not sure anyone cruising should be anything but thankful about how fortunate they are to be able to cruise.[/quote]

AMEN to that! I think exactly those thoughts everytime I see a homeless person. How just living in my very modest home would be heaven to them, and going on a cruise doesn't even exist in their world.

I will add that I had the time of my life on the Miracle with Carnival, and found some things I didn't like on the Glory. Because of that I'm trying a mini cruise with RCCI. I'm glad for the not as great experience on Glory because now I'll try a new line, and still sail with Carnival but probably only the spirit class ships. If I could afford it, I'd like to try them all!

Happy sailing all!

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Oh ok, once again we are supposed to anti up and this time it is to keep the kids from having popcorn fights... right. Somehow, some folks have gotten this idea that all these extra charges we pay are to keep the kids under control. Besides, it is being offered in the Sports Bar. That isn't a place for kids to hang out.

If they are not trying to make money with the charge on popcorn then it is nothing more than a nuisance charge.[/quote]

As I said, its a guess on my part they are charging to avoid waste. The teen part was a supposition on my part (if you had to choose a group that would abuse a free popcorn service, who would you pick?). If I hinted that I supported the charge for the popcorn or for JR, I apologize that wasn't my intent; I was just trying to read the situation in the same way the corporation does.

Valid point.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Oh ok, once again we are supposed to anti up and this time it is to keep the kids from having popcorn fights... right. Somehow, some folks have gotten this idea that all these extra charges we pay are to keep the kids under control. Besides, it is being offered in the Sports Bar. That isn't a place for kids to hang out.

If they are not trying to make money with the charge on popcorn then it is nothing more than a nuisance charge.[/quote]

Also a valid point.

I agree with Janiebobanie. RCCL is the best. I go to JR every time I go on the cruise because the people that work there work hard to entertain you. I have been on cruises where there have be 1000 to 1200 children. Although I love kids when you are on a cruise you don't want undisciplined children around.

Before the $3.95 charge JR was overrun with teenagers who took it over, got food they didn't eat and just ruined it for any adults that wanted a good burger and milkshake. They were loud, confrontational and rude. I am glad RCCL corrected the problem, it is a shame they had to start charging $3.95 a person. The reason you don't see kids in there now is because of the charge. Everytime we walked by JR on our Explorer cruise this February it was packed with adults so I know passengers really enjoy this place.

I was on the Brilliance where a family of 4 was removed because their 7 and 9 year old were knocking down waiters, people with canes and walkers, breaking the circular doors. Their parents would not control these children so after the 3rd warning, the captain had them removed from the ship. The crew and passengers cheered.

Another trip, an 18 year old was in charge of 8 children, they broke an elevator by jumping up & down on it. I know I was on that elevator, we got stuck between floors and RCCL had to come and save us. RCCL told me to control my kids, I let them know they weren't mine. They were throwing plates at the elderly passengers, smashing fries on the stairs so you would slip. Security came and the 18 year old girl cursed him like a sailor. Finally security got help to round up all 8 children and had them confined. I never saw those kids again. Their parents were never with them. They let them run that ship like it was their own. Sad part is some of those kids were small, very easy for them to go overboard.

I like RCCL because they take control of the situation when it comes to out of control passengers, I have cruised Carnival, I have not seen anyone taken off a Carnival ship no matter how inappropriate their behavior has been.

So I am a RCCL fan and look forward to our 15 day Hawaii cruise in 2009. I haven't been back on any other cruise line in 10 years.

I agree with the op that she should have been treated differently whether it was a bday cake or a bottle of wine or whatever. Rudeness is not a way to gain customers.

[quote name='horsefeathers75']I agree with Janiebobanie. RCCL is the best. I go to JR every time I go on the cruise because the people that work there work hard to entertain you. I have been on cruises where there have be 1000 to 1200 children. Although I love kids when you are on a cruise you don't want undisciplined children around.

Before the $3.95 charge JR was overrun with teenagers who took it over, got food they didn't eat and just ruined it for any adults that wanted a good burger and milkshake. They were loud, confrontational and rude. I am glad RCCL corrected the problem, it is a shame they had to start charging $3.95 a person. The reason you don't see kids in there now is because of the charge. Everytime we walked by JR on our Explorer cruise this February it was packed with adults so I know passengers really enjoy this place.

I was on the Brilliance where a family of 4 was removed because their 7 and 9 year old were knocking down waiters, people with canes and walkers, breaking the circular doors. Their parents would not control these children so after the 3rd warning, the captain had them removed from the ship. The crew and passengers cheered.

Another trip, an 18 year old was in charge of 8 children, they broke an elevator by jumping up & down on it. I know I was on that elevator, we got stuck between floors and RCCL had to come and save us. RCCL told me to control my kids, I let them know they weren't mine. They were throwing plates at the elderly passengers, smashing fries on the stairs so you would slip. Security came and the 18 year old girl cursed him like a sailor. Finally security got help to round up all 8 children and had them confined. I never saw those kids again. Their parents were never with them. They let them run that ship like it was their own. Sad part is some of those kids were small, very easy for them to go overboard.

I like RCCL because they take control of the situation when it comes to out of control passengers, I have cruised Carnival, I have not seen anyone taken off a Carnival ship no matter how inappropriate their behavior has been.

So I am a RCCL fan and look forward to our 15 day Hawaii cruise in 2009. I haven't been back on any other cruise line in 10 years.

I agree with the op that she should have been treated differently whether it was a bday cake or a bottle of wine or whatever. Rudeness is not a way to gain customers.[/quote]

You can look high and you can look low. But there is nothing worse in this world than a bad child. Nothing. Like Aunt Esther on TV said, "Heathens!"

[quote name='cruisingator2']Sometimes things can just build up and that is what happened to me with Carnival. I cruised with them 16 times and eventually just got tired of certain things. I tried the Navigator of the Seas and haven't looked back. This can happen with any cruise line but for me it was Carnival.[/quote]
i have to say that i had a horrible experience with carnival (destiny) was never going to go on another cruise again. Just off Nav of Seas and had the greatest time- something magical about those voyager class ships!!:)

• 1 month later...
Just off the Royal Caribbean Voyager (3/23) and RC did a wonderful job screwing up my mom's Grand Romance pkg....so I thought I would point out that it doesn't matter what cruiseline you are on - mistakes do happen. Thankfully my mom brought her confirmation and RC finally took care of the issue by the 4th day after my mom made many visits to the Pursers desk to get it resolved. She still had a wonderful cruise but was disappointed in the treatment she received. I believe she will still cruise on RC despite the mistake.

[quote name='tkportersat']Sorry you had a bad experience but where was your confirmation for the cake purchase? Every time I have ordered w/ the Bon Voyage dept I have been sent a confirmation and I always bring it with me on board...just in case. I have always gotten my orders but I will still take it. Seems like it was an honest mistake and that it could have happened on any line.

As far as some referencing "nickle and diming", that happens on Carnival and RC, never could tell one was doing it more than the other. All are trying to make that extra few dollars but I have never been made to feel like I have had to purchase anything I didn't want to. Service has been equal on my trips as well.[/quote]

After cruising only on RCI over the years, we just took a Carnival cruise this month. We had a terrific time, just as we had on all our other cruises. I did not notice nickel and diming anymore than RCI. In fact, in someways the opposite. Carnival allows each adult to bring aboard a bottle of wine like a real live grownup. They also offered free espresso and capucino in the dining room. They also had robes in the rooms without asking. You had to ask for a blow dryer, though. My wife ordered a birthday cake (surprise) for me from the specialty coffee/pastry shop, and it was delivered by the waiter at our table right as expected.

On a past RCI cruise, I had ordered a flower arrangement (anniversary surprise) months in advance. When we returned to our cabin after muster, there it was, card and all. I had completely forgotten that I had ordered it. I suppose someday, on some cruise, something won't go right. Ruin the cruise? No way!

Glad it went so well :) I try not to sweat the small stuff either......my mom was pretty heated about the whole situation but I got her settled. Her TA is giving RC her two cents though about the customer service issue of it all though. They kept telling her "sorry, we have no record of your order". If she wouldn't have had the confirmation I think she would have been out of luck.

[quote name='telecruiser']After cruising only on RCI over the years, we just took a Carnival cruise this month. We had a terrific time, just as we had on all our other cruises. I did not notice nickel and diming anymore than RCI. In fact, in someways the opposite. Carnival allows each adult to bring aboard a bottle of wine like a real live grownup. They also offered free espresso and capucino in the dining room. They also had robes in the rooms without asking. You had to ask for a blow dryer, though. My wife ordered a birthday cake (surprise) for me from the specialty coffee/pastry shop, and it was delivered by the waiter at our table right as expected.

On a past RCI cruise, I had ordered a flower arrangement (anniversary surprise) months in advance. When we returned to our cabin after muster, there it was, card and all. I had completely forgotten that I had ordered it. I suppose someday, on some cruise, something won't go right. Ruin the cruise? No way![/quote]

Archived