Tipping on Holland America

CowPrincess

I tried the "Search Forum" function and it keeps making my computer "hang". I hope this isn't a repeat topic!

The last time we were on Holland America, tipping was voluntary, you left an envelope for the steward, the waiter, the assistant waiter, etc. I read somewhere (not sure where, and not sure if it is true or not) that tips are now automatically added to your HAL ship account. Can anyone tell me if that's true or not?

And when last we cruised, we tipped $10/day per staff member -- is that still acceptable?

Hi, I will be sailing on the Noordam on Feb. 27th. This will be my first cruise. I understand that $10 per person - per day will be added to our shipboard account for tipping. We will also be free to tip additional for good service or to deduct if we are unhappy with service. My daughter just returned from the Noordam on Feb. 16th and she told me that she added tips to individuals who went above and beyond. She had nothing but praise for the staff. I hope this helps to answer your question. Marie

The auto tip is $10 per day per person. $3.50 goes to your cabin steward. $3.50 goes to your dining room staff (have never heard exactly how much the waiter gets or his assistant). The other $3 is divided among all the "behind" the scenes staff -- chefs, washers, alundry people, Pinnacle staff, etc. As you can figure out -- that is quite a list -- thus they only get pennies from that left over $3.

Also remember that HAL now adds a 15% gratuity onto all bar bills, sodas, bottled water. This 15% is divided among the wine stewards and bar staff.

Noew should you decide to reduce that amount ($10), you will be reguired to sign a form and give an explanation for the reduction. And then another problem developes -- these individuals are notifed of this. And should you give any extra tips to anyone else, they are SUPPOSED to turn over that extra money to be placed in a pool.

All I can tell you is what we did on our recent Noordam cruise: Left the $10 per day/per person in place.

Tipped our AYWD steward (had dinner there 9 evenings) $50; our wine steward $25. $25 for the room steward, in addition to the $10 we tipped him for scouting out a chaise lounge for our verandah. $1 to $2 for room service in the morning.

Seemed reasonable and fair to us for the excellent service we received.

Archived